Shelton Johnson

GoldCane

Junior
was scheduled to visit, but does anyone know if he actually did? Seems that he wasn't in any of the pictures with all the other visitors and I haven't seen anything on him. He's also scheduled for FSU next week, so if he didn't make it this weekend I guess that's it for him and UM....

Advertisement
Maybe the ind home on the 22nd from Jimbo persuaded him not to go?

The last thing I heard was he was probably going to wait until after signing day to announce.. which to me means he wants to go to FSU but the staff has him on hold until CeCe and Cowart decide

Advertisement
Becoming my second favorite recruit in this class, behind JAQUAN. Keeps his mouth shut, doesn't seem to care for the drama. If he's a cane, wouldn't surprise me at all if the top 2 guys out of this class end up being Shelton and Perry. Quiet kids from Palm Beach

The last thing I heard was he was probably going to wait until after signing day to announce.. which to me means he wants to go to FSU but the staff has him on hold until CeCe and Cowart decide

Noles have no chance with CeCe and maybe a 5% chance with Cowart

Advertisement

Jimbos in home worked against fsu fwiw. fsu was the leader before that. His visit to fsu next weekend, depending on this trip to UM, will be the deciding factor.

Jimbos in home worked against fsu fwiw. fsu was the leader before that. His visit to fsu next weekend, depending on this trip to UM, will be the deciding factor.

Jimbo made him pay for the crab legs?

Advertisement
Delray Beach (FL) Atlantic High School DE Shelton Johnson took his official visit to Miami this weekend.

Coming off the visit, does he think Cane coaches expect him to wind up in this class?

"That's what they think," Johnson said. "But I'm not jumping to any final decisions."

That won't happen until signing day, when he plans to tell the world where he'll attend college.

For now it's a UM-FSU battle.

He'll visit Florida State next weekend. He's also visited Virginia Tech and Michigan so far, but says they are behind his top two.

"I've been to Miami now, so I'm going to compare my experience at Miami with Florida State," Johnson said. "It's pretty much just those two, and I don't have any leader between the two."

He says what he likes at Miami is "the atmosphere, players, coaches - I like it that it's genuine there."

Johnson was hosted by Al-Quadin Muhammad this weekend and spent a lot of time with coaches.

"Coach (Al) Golden, he said I am a need for them, that I can come in and help the team out tremendously and that he's looking forward to my decision," Johnson said.

He adds that line coach Jethro Franklin "is a pretty nice guy, down to earth, cool, keeps it real with me. He said he's looking forward to my decisions as well."

He says what he's looking for most in a college is simply "I want my degree, so whatever school offers me the best opportunity."

Johnson says, if he does pick Miami, that he sees himself making an early impact.

"I know my skill set and I bring a unique skill set to the team," he said. "As far as coach Golden, he said I can be a good asset, bring a lot to the table."

UM originally offered him a scholarship last spring, and he says recruiting-wise that "I've always been serious about Miami."

Of the future of the Cane program, Johnson said, "I really think they'll be good in the future. Just performance-wise, they are producing more (NFL) talent."

Last season Johnson finished with over 100 tackles, 27 sacks, 15 pass breakups and an interception.

Advertisement
Last season Johnson finished with over 100 tackles, 27 sacks, 15 pass breakups and an interception.

pPaPe.gif

I don't mean to turn this into a bash Al Golden and his defensive philosophy thread but I just have to wonder why a kid like this would even consider us. Has he seen what the defensive linemen do in the scheme? If I'm reading that correctly, he had 27 sacks last season? What would make a kid like this think that he's going to be able to do the same thing here at UM under the current scheme?

I don't mean to turn this into a bash Al Golden and his defensive philosophy thread but I just have to wonder why a kid like this would even consider us. Has he seen what the defensive linemen do in the scheme? If I'm reading that correctly, he had 27 sacks last season? What would make a kid like this think that he's going to be able to do the same thing here at UM under the current scheme?

well his stats did include an interception....soooo maybe Al is selling him on dropping him into coverage!

Advertisement
Back