Shaquem Griffin

My Lb rankings would be something like:

1. Tremaine Edmunds - top10/1st
2. Leighton Vander Esch - top25/1st
3. Roquan Smith -top25/1st
4. Malik Jefferson - top50/2nd
5. Rashaan Evans -top100/3rd
6. Genard Avery -top100/3rd (basically a slightly less explosive Haason Reddick, I really like him. Under the radar so could be like 4th/5th rounder)
7. Darius Leonard -top100/3rd
8. Jerome Baker -top100/4th
9. Oren Burks -top150/4th
10. Matthew Thomas -top150/5th
11. Dorian O'Daniel - top150/5th
12. Fred Warner - top150/5th
13. Shaun Dion Hamilton - top150/5th
14. Chris Worley - top150/5th
15. Shaquem Griffen - top200/6th

So I'd put Griffen as like the 15th LB in this class. If he had 2 hands, he'd probably be like a 3rd or something - but he doesn't
Completely agree with you on Genard Avery. He was very productive and you can line up as a pass rusher or ILB like he played. He's built like a ******* tank as well.

Advertisement
Griffin is a productive linebacker with elite speed. He should be drafted in the first 4 rounds

The OL isn’t that solidified. Kilgore, even though he was an upgrade from pouncey, graded as a below average center in the league, Sitton is on the other side of time, and we still don’t have a starter on the other side. Adam Gase isn’t going to have that much time if any...max he’ll have is one more season after this one if he doesn’t make the playoffs again. They need a LB and even though I believe Godchaux and Phillips are more than formidable as run defenders(pass rush is a different story) we still can’t enter the season with 1 average LB, a 2nd year backer who’s essentially a rookie, and a unit of rag tag UDFA guys. At minimum with Edmunds or trading down for Rashaan Evans/Leighton Vander Esch like I mentioned before we can turn LB into a strength as the year goes on. Drafting Vita won’t turn DT into a strength(even though he’s a bit of a upgrade over Phillips Day 1) wouldn’t turn the unit into a positive because we still won’t be able to rush the passer from the interior.
The goal should be to strengthen your front seven; beef up front to stop the run. Adding a rookie doesn't turn a unit around quickly.

Griffin was a safety his first few years at UCF and never saw the field. He made a huge impact as a rush linebacker the last two seasons but he wasn't really asked to play in space much or cover anybody. He's essentially a 225 lb defensive end. He is a fantastic athlete and nobody questions his effort or heart so I wouldn't be surprised to see him make it in the league as a traditional linebacker in a 4-3 who can rush the passer in passing situations ala Von Miller. It's going to take some time to develop though so drafting him before the 4th or 5th round might be stupid but he's the best kind of low risk project you can ask for in the draft. He doesn't have the frame to play on the line of scrimmage on run downs like a 3-4 OLB has to so he's limited in that aspect.

Advertisement
The f word really solidified that point. Nice work.
Well, you know, sometimes you have to distinguish between a tank
kids fish tank.jpg

and a ******* TANK

M1 Abrams.jpg

Hoping the Jaguars take him. Perfect WILL for the defense. Just let him chase and make plays. Let him play specials.

He works too hard and is too natural an athletes with too much skill to bust. 1st might be too rich for my blood, but late 2nd round, id be all over him.

Telvin, Jack, and Griffin would be the most athletic linebacker group in the league.

Advertisement
Completely agree with you on Genard Avery. He was very productive and you can line up as a pass rusher or ILB like he played. He's built like a ******* tank as well.
Man I want the Raiders to draft Avery so bad.
I don't want a LB in the early Rounds, so Avery is perfect imo in like the 4th. If he had longer arms and maybe just a little more explosiveness, he could honestly be better than Haason Reddick (coming out of draft)...and Reddick was a 1st rounder.
6'0.5" 248lbs, 31" arms, 10 1/8" hands, 4.59s 40, 36" vert, 124" broad, 6.9s 3-cone, 4.36s shuttle, 26 bench reps. His Spider Chart
You can really see how low of a percentile his length (height, and arms) is. If he was taller or had the longer arms, like I said, he'd go 1st/2nd probably.

Call me what you will, but I'm over the kids story at this point. Now his whole clan is going to the draft? I admire his perseverance and dedication, but enough is enough.

Things are fluid in the NFL. Why pigeon hole the kid into one style. He can get an opportunity as long as he puts in the effort. Imo

And 229lbs LBs don't play EDGE rusher. IDC what he showed in college, he's not going to be an NFL EDGE rusher.
He Will be an off the ball LB. Will he rush the qb? Yes, just like every LB. They blitz and need to know how to pass rush. Maybe since he showed he can do it in college, he'll blitz more often than the average LB. But not having a hand when pass rushing is a big disadvantage, Its pretty important to use your hands when you pass rush.. There is no way he isn't going to struggle shedding blocks.

Secondly the fact that he only has one hand will make it more difficult for him to tackle NFL Rbs. Sorry he's not going to be going up against the RBs UCF played. And while he did very well there, NFL Rbs are going to be much more difficult to bring down. The fact that he can't fully wrap up, will cost him some tackles and could hurt the defense. Thirdly his lack of a hand completely takes him out of having the potential to get an interception, or maybe to recover fumbles all that well. He basically needs it to be thrown perfectly so he can body catch it. but theres no way he's gunna be getting many picks in his career.

Look I love this dudes story and he obviously is a very hard worker. But the fact is not having one hand severely limits his potential in the NFL. He is at an immediate disadvantage. So Yeah there is no way I'd go near him in the first 4 rounds. 5th round I wouldn't think he's a bad pick, depending what other LBs are available, but I think 6th is where he goes. But who knows maybe a team falls in love with his personality/work ethic and takes him a little earlier.

And 229lbs LBs don't play EDGE rusher. IDC what he showed in college, he's not going to be an NFL EDGE rusher.
He Will be an off the ball LB. Will he rush the qb? Yes, just like every LB. They blitz and need to know how to pass rush. Maybe since he showed he can do it in college, he'll blitz more often than the average LB. But not having a hand when pass rushing is a big disadvantage, Its pretty important to use your hands when you pass rush.. There is no way he isn't going to struggle shedding blocks.

Secondly the fact that he only has one hand will make it more difficult for him to tackle NFL Rbs. Sorry he's not going to be going up against the RBs UCF played. And while he did very well there, NFL Rbs are going to be much more difficult to bring down. The fact that he can't fully wrap up, will cost him some tackles and could hurt the defense. Thirdly his lack of a hand completely takes him out of having the potential to get an interception, or maybe to recover fumbles all that well. He basically needs it to be thrown perfectly so he can body catch it. but theres no way he's gunna be getting many picks in his career.

Look I love this dudes story and he obviously is a very hard worker. But the fact is not having one hand severely limits his potential in the NFL. He is at an immediate disadvantage. So Yeah there is no way I'd go near him in the first 4 rounds. 5th round I wouldn't think he's a bad pick, depending what other LBs are available, but I think 6th is where he goes. But who knows maybe a team falls in love with his personality/work ethic and takes him a little earlier.

Just look what losing three fingers did to Pierre Pauls game. My guess is he'll end up with the Rams at some point as some sort of social cause. They did just introduce male cheerleaders so...

Advertisement
Just because he runs a 4.38 doesn't mean he can cover WR's. (it just means he can run fast in a straight line)

Actually, one of his weaknesses is coverage. And playing man coverage with a guy who basically has one arm is asking for trouble.

I love the story just as much as everybody else but let's be realistic. He was a one trick pony in college. (edge rusher)
He'll need to be developed in the NFL but he can probably be a good Inside Linebacker in the 3-4 or OLB in the 4-3.
My Lb rankings would be something like:

1. Tremaine Edmunds - top10/1st
2. Leighton Vander Esch - top25/1st
3. Roquan Smith -top25/1st
4. Malik Jefferson - top50/2nd
5. Rashaan Evans -top100/3rd
6. Genard Avery -top100/3rd (basically a slightly less explosive Haason Reddick, I really like him. Under the radar so could be like 4th/5th rounder)
7. Darius Leonard -top100/3rd
8. Jerome Baker -top100/4th
9. Oren Burks -top150/4th
10. Matthew Thomas -top150/5th
11. Dorian O'Daniel - top150/5th
12. Fred Warner - top150/5th
13. Shaun Dion Hamilton - top150/5th
14. Chris Worley - top150/5th
15. Shaquem Griffen - top200/6th

So I'd put Griffen as like the 15th LB in this class. If he had 2 hands, he'd probably be like a 3rd or something - but he doesn't

I would wager cash money that Griffen ends up a Top 5 player at the position when its all said and done. May not be drafted in the Top 5 linebackers, but will end his career a Top 5 player from his class at LB.

I really want to be a believer in LVE. Edmunds has the upside, but I think LVE is just a nice safe, productive choice. Incredibly athletic, too. Ro Smith's success depends on if he can have a team keep lineman off of him. Like Edmunds could be big time, could be only ok.

Alongside LVE, I think Jefferson is a very safe player in this draft. May not have the ceiling of the previous two, but definitely a nice high floor. If not for injury, we are talking about an end of R1 player.

Darius Leonard for a mid-rounder will stick and start, IMO. Not a future pro bowler, but starter.

I'm a believer in Shaquem. I think that's all there is to it. You either believe he can make the disability work for him or you don't. I just think he'll make it work. He's made the disability work for him so far. It makes him work harder than everyone at every level he's been at. He's developed technique that works for him around and with it. Watch him punch out the ball with his f'n KNUBB, its a sight to see. QBs are going to think they can throw on him. And they will because he's not great in coverage. He is more of a chase will backer. But he's going to bait some QBs into some funny INTs in the NFL because they'll think they can hit a wheel or out n up on him on the KNUBB side and he's going to pick him off.

He will generate sacks in the NFL. Just going to be with a team that disguises the weakside blitz. Jacksonville will be a perfect place for him. They need to replace a combination of both Poz at LB and Aaron Colvin as those two split time between nickel and when they went into three linebacker sets.

---

As an aside, the narrative between Griffen and Josh Allen couldn't be more entertaining. People wanting to push Griffen down the draft boards despite being successful at every level despite his disability versus Josh Allen who is being pushed up despite never being good at any level. Its very weird.

Last edited:
Some are comparing LVE to Kuechly. Edmunds might be there @ 11. Most are saying Smith will go to the Raiders @ 10 but it's difficult to say with Gruden there. The big DT Vea is a pick for some. If Gase trades up to get Mayfeild, the boo birds will deafening!

I would wager cash money that Griffen ends up a Top 5 player at the position when its all said and done. May not be drafted in the Top 5 linebackers, but will end his career a Top 5 player from his class at LB.

I really want to be a believer in LVE. Edmunds has the upside, but I think LVE is just a nice safe, productive choice. Incredibly athletic, too. Ro Smith's success depends on if he can have a team keep lineman off of him. Like Edmunds could be big time, could be only ok.

Alongside LVE, I think Jefferson is a very safe player in this draft. May not have the ceiling of the previous two, but definitely a nice high floor. If not for injury, we are talking about an end of R1 player.

Darius Leonard for a mid-rounder will stick and start, IMO. Not a future pro bowler, but starter.

I'm a believer in Shaquem. I think that's all there is to it. You either believe he can make the disability work for him or you don't. I just think he'll make it work. He's made the disability work for him so far. It makes him work harder than everyone at every level he's been at. He's developed technique that works for him around and with it. Watch him punch out the ball with his f'n KNUBB, its a sight to see. QBs are going to think they can throw on him. And they will because he's not great in coverage. He is more of a chase will backer. But he's going to bait some QBs into some funny INTs in the NFL because they'll think they can hit a wheel or out n up on him on the KNUBB side and he's going to pick him off.

He will generate sacks in the NFL. Just going to be with a team that disguises the weakside blitz. Jacksonville will be a perfect place for him. They need to replace a combination of both Poz at LB and Aaron Colvin as those two split time between nickel and when they went into three linebacker sets.

---

As an aside, the narrative between Griffen and Josh Allen couldn't be more entertaining. People wanting to push Griffen down the draft boards despite being successful at every level despite his disability versus Josh Allen who is being pushed up despite never being good at any level. Its very weird.
People assume because Griffen ran an elite 40 for a LB, that it automatically means he's elite at everything else, thats not true though. Why didn't he perform the vert (got a 37.5" at proday -would have been 6th among LBs at combine), broad, 3-cone, or shuttle though? The 40 time is one of the least important drills there is. I mean he ran a great time and everything and he has a speed score in line with like Jimmy Graham (who ran a 4.53 at 260lbs). But the Jumps are so much more important to determine explosiveness, especially broad jump. And the 3-cone is incredibly important to determine bend for pass rushers. Almost all NFL guys that dominate in sacks in the rookie contract, will have an elite 3-cone time (that is height adjusted).

But have you watched any of the other guys I listed ahead of Griffin?
at the end of the day I just don't see how Griffin with one hand is better than all those 14 guys. I mean look I hope he's successful for sure, and at the end of the day I don't exactly know how much to hold him back due to only having one hand. But If I'm an NFL GM I don't take that risk until the 5th round at the earliest.

Advertisement
I've seen pretty much everyone, and if I haven't, I'll catch all the draftbreakdown videos prior to the draft. Great resource and really negates the "have you seen any of these guys"...the answer is yeah, I have or will prior to the draft.

The problem you're running in with Griffin is "he doesn't have a hand!"...but he's always not had a hand and he's been better than most of those 14 guys (not all, but most) without a hand. So, your argument is resting on the idea that the lack of hand will finally catch up with him and really hinder him as a player in the NFL...and...IT MIGHT. However, he has found a way for it to not be a problem thus far.

I mean, UCF v. Auburn...Griffin's tape is the BEST linebacker film you will see from ANY linebacker in this class. Its up there with Ro Smith versus Oklahoma or LVE versus Washington State. Its a great lasting impression verses a top flight college football team and gives teams the notion that he can legitimately hang with the big boys. Senior Bowl, combine, and pro day continue to show he can hang. I believe the answer you're looking for re: most of the other drills is that he tweaked something, but don't quote me on it. He doesn't seem like a dude that would shy away from showing off his skills for any reason outside of an injury.

His pro day numbers, leaking out...37.5 is really good. He self-reported a 6.9 3-cone which is ELITE. We'll see when more of those numbers come out.

Also, love the fact that he is willing to do pretty much anything evaluators ask of him.

Great college player + Great athletic testing is a winning combination every time. You're not going to get him at a premium...youll likely be able to get him in R3 if you really want him...like I said, I am willing to wager real money this dude, when its all said and done, and careers over etc, he is a Top 5 LB in this class. 14th best linebacker is pretty wild, even with one hand There will not be 14 linebackers from this class that will play in the NFL beyond their rookie deal. If you're saying Griffin doesnt last beyond his rookie deal, that is a pretty hot take.

Advertisement
Back