Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Honestly I am a bit reluctant to post booty gifs, tbh. Houston ran this air raid stuff in the early 90s, posted ridiculous numbers with David Klingler; and our guys absolutely snuffed it out.

Yes we had way better players. Yes Andre Ware and Klingler turned out to be busts.

I was told that the Rhett Lashley spread offense would make it easier for our offensive line to do their thing; not so much.

Wide recievers who could not get open and catch the ball then wont with a new offense now. Tell me how the air raid is going to magically give our WR's stick em hands.

If I turn out to be wrong, I'll be a man and apologize and take the hits.

But to me, this is an underwhelming hire that might be good, but will likely be mediocre at best. Dennis Erickson ran the one back, spread our guys out and put up points. So it can work.

You still need good players though. :/

Everything you posted was wrong. The run and shoot is not the air raid. Not even close to the same offense.

Lashlee’s offense did make it easier for the line. Do you remember giving up 10 sacks against UF in 2019? The offense improved by every metric in 2020.

Not sure if you’re complaining about receivers not getting open or dropping the ball or both but different spacing and route combinations is how you scheme guys open. I don’t know who was dropping all these passes last year though. That wasn’t an issue.

You really should watch football games from this century. Preferably this decade if you want to get an idea of what modern offenses look like.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He will be.
C00C730F-700D-4963-AC6C-93EE73BE3FA8.jpeg

Everything you posted was wrong.
David Klinger and Andre Ware weren't busts?

We didn't beat the air raid with a 4-3 defense?

We didn't have better players?

Rhett Lashleys offense didnt have our QB running for his life?

The wide recievers we have do not have problems catching the ball?

It doesnt matter in the end I suppose. If it turns out bad, people will say, "He wasnt the right kind of air raid guy ". If it turns out I was right, people will say, "Who cares?". If it turns out I was wrong, people will post the proper gifs to show just how wrong I was.

Its a lot easier to fool someone rather than convince them they were fooled.

Advertisement
2020:

S&P+: 60th
F+: 62nd
FEI: 63rd

2021:

S&P+: 51st
F+: 58th
FEI: 63rd

2022:

S&P+: 18th
F+: 23rd
FEI: 26th

Their offense just wasn’t good until 2022. It was downright bad the previous two years.

Based on defensive performance in ‘21 and the lack of quality defenses they played during that time, basically almost any team with a pulse would have averaged what they did in ‘20 and ‘21, according to all the analytic models.

LOL. I sure hope we are "downright bad" to the tune of 35.9 points per game next year. 🤦‍♂️

Repeat, you just called a 35.9 points per game offense that was #15 in the country in scoring "downright bad."

If you were the last man on earth stuck on an island with Jessica Alba and Arianna Grande you'd talk yourself out of the three way.

I'm worried about you.

And thats precisely my point. The idea of waving a magic wand and all of a sudden guys who cant catch the ball even if it hits them in the chest because of an offense change is a bit silly. I think a lot of folks on here are going to be disappointed with the results vs the expectations.
I’ve seen multiple of the more mopey guys post **** like this. What are the expectations other than modernizing the offense and putting up respectable numbers? You’re saying that we need players to get where we want to go — but that literally offers nothing that we don’t already know.

David Klinger and Andre Ware weren't busts?

We didn't beat the air raid with a 4-3 defense?

We didn't have better players?

Rhett Lashleys offense didnt have our QB running for his life?

The wide recievers we have do not have problems catching the ball?

It doesnt matter in the end I suppose. If it turns out bad, people will say, "He wasnt the right kind of air raid guy ". If it turns out I was right, people will say, "Who cares?". If it turns out I was wrong, people will post the proper gifs to show just how wrong I was.

Its a lot easier to fool someone rather than convince them they were fooled.
Please re-read my post. I edited to make it easier for you to understand.

Also, pretty much every UM quarterback besides Bernie Kosar and Jim Kelly were busts in the NFL. I’m not really going to hold Ken Dorsey’s lack of pro success against his college career.

Advertisement
Dawson took over in 2016. I mean it's not a bad season but seems like Mullens regressed going from Monken in 2015 to Dawson in 2016.

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
2013Southern MississippiCUSAFRQB913627649.317766.45.11314108.7
2014Southern MississippiCUSASOQB1021836559.724706.86.3129122.5
*2015Southern MississippiCUSAJRQB1433152163.544768.69.03812155.2
*2016Southern MississippiCUSASRQB1124338463.332728.58.52411149.8
Please tell me where you see regression in your sample provided. I see less games...but yet the completion percentage, Avg yds/attempt, and basically TDs per game are all the same.

Cribby already said it best. The scheme is a perfect fit.

We went from Lashlee scoring over 30 pts a game to low 20s per game...and there was literally no reason outside of the scheme. Our personnel got better everywhere, besides maybe the WR room. Then you completely disrespect Rooster, who left because he knew damned well he was not used properly.

But the scheme is going to fit TVD so damned well, I just hate the fact that Garcia left, because he would even fit better into the scheme.

The biggest question mark will be the receivers. These guys better get committed to developing as pass catchers. We simply cannot see guys drop passes in this offense. You have to have hands guys, period. Your backs have to be comfortable with blocking, and have to be able to catch passes

I am excited

Advertisement
And thats precisely my point. The idea of waving a magic wand and all of a sudden guys who cant catch the ball even if it hits them in the chest because of an offense change is a bit silly. I think a lot of folks on here are going to be disappointed with the results vs the expectations.
I’ve read the reactions of about 500 people in here and I don’t think anyone fits what you’re describing

Reading your comments it feels like you’re trying to temper your own expectations and trying to pretend that you’re talking to everyone else

Advertisement
LOL. I sure hope we are "downright bad" to the tune of 35.9 points per game next year. 🤦‍♂️

Repeat, you just called a 35.9 points per game offense that was #15 in the country in scoring "downright bad."

If you were the last man on earth stuck on an island with Jessica Alba and Arianna Grande you'd talk yourself out of the three way.

I'm worried about you.
I was a little lukewarm on Dawson, partially because the very limited research I did on him before the hire was to look at his metrics over the years, which are a bit underwhelming. But one of the things that has me cautiously optimistic at this point, in addition to some of the good commentary in this thread by people who know what they are talking about, has been watching some of the film/breakdowns of UH's offense. Two things that stand out are the QB Tune and the OL. And not in a good way.

I think it would be generous to say Tune is pretty average. He appears to be a relatively slow decision-maker who does not have great arm strength and is pretty inaccurate with his throws. The OL is pretty horrid. The amount of production that Dawson got out of the offense with Tune at the helm behind that OL is actually pretty impressive. And I was also relieved to see that Dawson did not recruit Tune (but did make him progressively better over the 3 years to the point he threw for over 4,000 yards and 40 TDs last year).

Please tell me where you see regression in your sample provided. I see less games...but yet the completion percentage, Avg yds/attempt, and basically TDs per game are all the same.
Okay maybe Mullend didn’t regress as bad as I originally thought. He still technically regressed though in every category basically and threw for almost the same number of INTs in less games. But yes it wasn’t as bad as I thought.

But that offense sure did regress. His offense got worse every single season he was OC.

May mean nothing. May mean something.

Maybe it was as simple as this. Hankerson is competent and a hard worker and he was next in line after Wes Welker took a job with the Dolphins. Kinda like Dorsey in Buffalo. And you just wrote something that you thought sounded good. What Shanahan values in an NFL WR coach isn't what Hankerson's job would be at Miami so even if you were right, he isn't a top 10 WR recruiter which is what is relevant.
Oh yea absolutely. It‘s not like he can’t walk into any living room and explain how every 49ers WR that took significant snap had a career year under him or anything.

Nope. Not at all.

Advertisement
Back