Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
I am far from an expert on coordinators. Dawson maybe great or he may be average. Since you all asked.

But here are my thoughts-
Mario- maybe it took a little longer because he was trying to find a wide open OC that would embrace and add some power running scheme into it- a little more advanced than just a power spread. Someone that could lead the team and create a new offense that Mario (and team) envisions as the future of college football. I believe Rad and Zo would help push a concept to Mario that he should be an innovator. With Mario's ability to recruit and his understanding of OL play this could be something special.

Dawson- had some ups and downs. It seems like he is smart and adaptable- which is most likely the main traits Mario was seeking. He will have the best talent here he has ever worked with. Some of the downs could be adapting his offense to his personnel that just didn't work because of the players. Some could be limitations of the players. Some of them could be because his system wasn't great. Hopefully, he learned from these experiences and now has a more diverse system than just a straight air raid. Hopefully, he learned the flow of the game and he can average 36 points a game here while still having ball control and eat the clock some when needed.

In my career I have improved my skill, management style and leadership at every position I held and every company I have owned. I have hired well over 1000 people in my life. I understand that hiring is about hiring the person and not the experience they have. I can explain failures I have had and how I would do it different and better the next time. Maybe Dawson did the same. perhaps he understands and has a vision for his offense that is special. If that is the case this is a grand slam. If not we will probably have a new OC next year or the one after with a new HC after that.

I am optimistic and Believe this is a great hire. Unfortunately, been wrong many times in my life- just hope this is not one of those times.

Let ******* Go!

Advertisement
If we bring Coley aboard AT ANY POSITION, we will have a silver tongue who hasn't really succeeded as, you known, an ACTUAL coach. And if we bring Hankerson (or another candidate) aboard as WR Coach, we will have a legitimate technician and developer of talent at WR. But, yeah, it's just impossible to have BOTH, right?

But those aren’t the two traits we should be prioritizing at the WR coach spot. Those are after signing skills.

It’s acquisition that should be the number one trait. I’ll worry about how just how great our WR can “develop” our 5* WRs after he’s able to sign them. But I want them signed first.

Recruiting ability above all else. Hankerson would be by far the biggest unknown in that regard compared to almost any WR coach we could conceivably hire.

Same guy, some rando on Twitter, posted this a few days ago.

Some trolls on this site aren’t very good at what they do. Sad people living in rent controlled walk ups just like to spread their misery.

Miserable ***** living miserable lives.

There is no point with some of these.

Sadly, parts of this fanbase here are the exact same way.

Advertisement
Do yourselves a favor and check out Houston’s offensive numbers before Dawson was named OC. When Dana got the job in 2019, their numbers fell off a cliff compared to the 2018 Applewhite/Briles offense. The 2020 offense was better but still nothing special. Their best two seasons under Dana were the two seasons Dawson called plays. I’m not sure what the three Houston fans in existence were expecting but considering their offense got way better the last two years than it was the two years prior, you’d think they’d acknowledge the reason. The whole “Dana took over play-calling” rumor is just a fabrication because their offense got better in the second half of the year. What they fail to mention is the second half schedule also got way easier. They played their three toughest opponents (Texas Tech, Kansas and Tulane) in the first five weeks. Even then, the only time they failed to put up 30 points was against Tulane when they only scored 24.

Last edited:
Brian Hartline first year as WR coach at Ohio State was 2018. 2017 he was a Quality Control assistant, and had no previous coaching history and last played in the NFL in 2015. He proceeded to sign Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, and Jameson Williams within his first year... and since then he's gotten Marvin Harrison jr, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Carnell Tate, Julian Fleming, Brandon Innis, and now Jeremiah Smith...

Compared to Brian Harltine at the time having literally developed nobody before signing a bunch of studs, Hankerson has coached Deebo Samuel, and Brandon Aiyuk to his best season of his career. At UMass he coached Andy Isabella to become a 2nd round pick and finished as a Biletnikoff finalsit and PFFs top rated CFB WR....

Ultimately if the offense itself is good And the coach can develop the players to be high draft picks, the recruiting will improve significantly regardless how good of a recruiter Hankerson is or isn't.

TLDR version

Brian Hartline is a beast

Advertisement
And several folks ran with the narrative that Gus Malthzan ran him out of Auburn after he allegedly took play-calling duties from him.
Yall remember this?
Rhett bet on himself and left the nest. He was Malzahns boy but he wanted to venture out offensively and have 100 % control of what he was running. I always respected him for that, especially going to arguably the worst job in fbs to do it. He could’ve stayed at Auburn making good bank and being secure.

Advertisement
Rhett bet on himself and left the nest. He was Malzahns boy but he wanted to venture out offensively and have 100 % control of what he was running. I always respected him for that, especially going to arguably the worst job in fbs to do it. He could’ve stayed at Auburn making good bank and being secure.
It was probably the smartest move he could make too because it opened up his offensive philosophy. He pretty much was running Gus’ offense at UCONN but then he got a master’s degree in air raid when he went to SMU under Sonny Dykes. That move really got his career back on the fast track.

It was probably the smartest move he could make too because it opened up his offensive philosophy. He pretty much was running Gus’ offense at UCONN but then he got a master’s degree in air raid when he went to SMU under Sonny Dykes. That move really got his career back on the fast track.
I see a lot of similarities between Rhett and Dawsons route concepts and formations. I do think Dawsons run game is more advanced.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yes , plenty of whack jobs with way too much time on their hands.
And not even a point in 95% of the cases, its just subjective hate.

Like, when your offense is above average in scoring and you start using his name and make fun of it as a consequence, you're not making a point, you're being petty.

Advertisement
Back