Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Advertisement
You raise a valid point, and I'm not arguing with you on that at all.

I'm just saying that if Coley was such a slam-dunk certainty, there would be no reason to interview anyone else...

I’m really hoping it’s Galloway

It would check every box and make all the sense in the world, especially with them coaching together

Added bonus is that it weakens the UNC staff

If anyone cares, he's my 100% honest No BS anti Don Bailey Jr take on this hire.

It's not doomed, but you would have to a blind homer to not recognize this is a risky hire. His resume has ups and downs. I've posed this question in the past but I can't think of ONE example in recent CFB history where a COORDINATOR was fired IN COLLEGE, as a COORDINATOR on HIS side of the ball for a lack of performance and went on to great things in his career. I'm not talking about a guy who went to the pros and failed and returned to CFB to find success. History is littered with coaches in every capacity who failed in the NFL only to return to success in college. I'm also NOT talking about a coordinator whose unit performed well but as a result of the HC he was attached to getting fired, the entire staff was subsequently fired.

This guy was fired for a lack of performance at Kentucky. Period. I've already seen the takes about their talent or lack thereof there.....but it just isn't a great historical sign. Also, do we know FOR SURE that he was 100% responsible for ALL of the playcalling at Houston? God forbid this is another Gattis situation where Matthew Weiss was actually the one calling plays at Michigan.

I think there are some gaps in what we all know in regards to the two concerns I posted above so I'm not going to doom this hire.....but I find it interesting that Mario is choosing to hitch his wagon to such a risky hire. Dawson could be good....or the signs above could be a harbinger of things to come.

Mario shot his shot and for better or worse, this hire will probably end up defining his tenure at Miami. Let's all hope for the best but I'll say it again....if I was going to make a risky hire this offseason it would have been on someone like Bobby Petrino.
bill-murray-kingpin.gif

Advertisement
1. Super weird you track another man's comings and goings. Like, really, really creepy "spreadsheet in a basement" weird.

2. I was around, read a bit, but didn't post much for a couple of months because of a monster work project and a very serious family health scare. But thanks for your concern.

3. I've been here for years, when we've sucked, so you can angrily lash out like a child all you want, but I don't think anyone really takes you or anything you say seriously.

4. I mean, you still post here. After 8,000 facepalms and 30% of your life dedicated to a schtick on a message board where no one knows you. Not sure you get what "shame" means.

Congratulations, you managed to get some attention. Now can you please let the grown ups talk about football without trying to derail? Thanks, and go make me a sandwich.

Dana wanted to play faster?
also, a Kentucky writer said Dawson was not well liked by players. How did you find his relationships with UH players?
It's not a social club.

Dawson mostly motions for check with me purposes so yeah to determine coverage. The initial play call is hardly ever the play ran. But the QB usually has two options he can take on his own based on what he sees. He doesn’t motion enough with the run game Dana implemented that and I hope he keep that’s with him. It’s huge to get a numbers advantage. In the passing game the motion man is his most dangerous usually so a move TE or slot but he also likes to isolate speed in space. Tank is only about 5’9 and we lined him out wide and told him just beat the guy across from him. Based on our personnel skinner, the young slot WR’s and young will hit the ground running. I think jacolby George bounces back too
Oh no. The dreaded “check with me.”

Advertisement
Dawson mostly motions for check with me purposes so yeah to determine coverage. The initial play call is hardly ever the play ran. But the QB usually has two options he can take on his own based on what he sees. He doesn’t motion enough with the run game Dana implemented that and I hope he keep that’s with him. It’s huge to get a numbers advantage. In the passing game the motion man is his most dangerous usually so a move TE or slot but he also likes to isolate speed in space. Tank is only about 5’9 so we liked him out wide and told him just beat the guy across from him. Based on our personal skinner, the young slot WR’s and young will hit the ground running. I think jacolby George bounces back too
Appreciate that insight. I prefer the motion to get leverage or, like KC and so many NFL teams do, for both (coverage and leverage). One more motion question and then I'll leave you to the other @s you're getting:

How does he move the H, Y and Z around? I ask because of our personnel. As you noted, I think we've got some talent at slot and I think we need to use Arroyo and Skinner (perhaps one of the Frosh) way, way, way better.

Agree on George, by the way. Funny enough, I think Brinson would likely do well in this presumed offense, too.

Advertisement
Someone enlighten me plz bc as of right now this is a joke hire. Sorry these dudes don't get the benefit of the doubt from me anymore.
I don't think anyone can enlighten you. It is what it is (mixed opionions) and results will tell if Mario made a decent hire or not.

Advertisement
Kentucky OC for one year. They absolutely hate him.

As I feel the spray painted beard forming over my face:

Dawnson’s history as OC (per NCAA stats):

2013-14 (WVU):
2013: Total O: 62nd / Scoring O: 79th
2014: Total O: 12th / Scoring O: T-34th

2015 (UK):

2015: Total O: 89th / Scoring O: 95th

2016-18 (So. Miss):
2016: Total O: 21st / Scoring O: 41st
2017: Total O: 43rd / Scoring O: 58th
2018: Total O: 99th / Scoring O: 89th

Houston (2020-22):
2020: Total O: 55th / Scoring O: 53rd
2021: Total O: 60th / Scoring O: 15th
2022: Total O: 25th / Scoring O: 16th

Here’s my concerns as I tend not to look at one yr stats vs. trends & tendencies:

In 10 yrs, Dawson has fielded two formidable offenses. I would say 3, but those 2016 stats are a bit misleading & troublesome. Dawson took over an offense under Chip Lindsey (u know, the guy many of us wanted) that was ranked as the 12th best offense & 13th best scoring offense in 2015. Immediately So. Moss became progressively worst under Dawson.

Sure, UK Football has never been a juggernaut for putting points up, but they immediately regretted the hire of Dawson b/c while they wanted Neal Brown’s head on a stake, they were like “hey big head, Whatchu doin?” after Dawson came on board. UK immediately became worst on O, when they were already bad w/ Brown (79th in Total O / 60th in Scoring O - 2014)

Here’s my biggest concern; remember that time when we were struggling mightily on Def in 2021 under Baker, & rumors circled that Manny Diaz, a former DC, had to step in & take control? My concerns is his best two stints as an OC, Holgorsen was the coach; u know, an offensive minded coach who’s a former OC. Without Holgorsen, he’s been ***.

So I’m not going to poor champagne just b/c he has air raid concepts; I’m going to wait to see has he evolved as an OC and is the real deal from 2022 OR is he a byproduct of Holgorsen.

Verdict: Show me, first.

P.S - feel free to provide any further analytics throughout his entire OC career to provide further context.

People don’t like that? Lol
I hated it in the Gattis offense. It doesn’t give your qb a chance to get in rhythm IMO.

And I don’t see how it works in an air raid. With leach offenses, they were traditionally best with an experienced QB, who could get to the LOS and determine pre-snap where the ball should be delivered. I don’t want my OC deciding that.

I assume he sits in the booth if he is doing check with me?

Advertisement
Back