Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Advertisement
C grade hire

Like the change away from Bro style to Air Raid. From Holgorsen tree, solid playcalling at southern miss, helped a good Houston offense.

Supposedly got playcalling duties revoked, Kentucky tenure failure, Houston fans happy he is gone. Dana was the offensive mastermind at Houston.

Down to earth guy per reports, nothing special as a recruiter.

LMAO!

This is why you guys have GOT to stop listening to fans.

Houston had 3 backs play last year. In 13 games, they COMBINED for 254 carries. Combined. That's 19 running back carries per game, for the entire running back room.

Tune averaged 38 passes per game.

If your QB is throwing is 38 times a game, and your backs are running it 19 times a game, let me know how you come up with "run, run, pass, punt" LOLLL.

Houston also ranked 117th in the country in number of punts.

So they rarely run, they rarely punt, but the offense is run, run, pass, punt.

Please, please stop bringing this bull**** to the board. The vast majority of people here have literally zero brain cells, they're very easily polluted.
Reread that. I took it as a comparison, not that they were actually run run pass. All he’s saying is their offense felt predictable like those days.

His passing routes are similar with various mis-directions, formations and motion. I like that he keeps it rather simple, but there is a lot of pre-snap eye candy that can confuse the defense.

First half of 2022 31.8 PPG
Second half of 2022 43 PPG (the one outlier game against SMU where is was 77-63 impacts this greatly)

Their defense was trash all year - 33 PPG given up in both first and second half of season

42-25 combined record of OPP until Tulane game

41-59 combined record after Tulane with 1-11 USF, and 4-8 temple throw in there

Advertisement
Don’t know much about him but excited to see that Mario is open minded to adopt this scheme. Excited about the hire but most importantly…

No Nussmeier, Arroyo, Coley, Bobo or Applewhite as OC???

Nicole Scherzinger Television GIF

The issue is, Holgerson was likely the play caller.

Not saying that Dawson can’t be as good or better but hiring another OC in back to back years who didn’t call plays, as different as they are, it is fair to question & be cautious.

Those 36ppg are great but how much of that was him? We will find out together.

Well, we don't know he wasn't the play-caller, right? This is all rumor from jaded Houston fans. And @JustAFanHTX says that's untrue. And we just took their OC, whenever you take a guy the fans are super scorned. As @TrumpyCane illustrated, the level of comp was very different in first half and second half anyway. But hey... anything is possible, sure.

For me, whether he's great or mid is secondary, he's bringing a 21st century offense in and that will move this program along whether he works out really well or not, know what I mean?

Honestly, I don't think Lashlee is a particularly great OC. Def solid. I think the offense he brought was just less non-sensical for what Miami should be these days. Which is exactly what I hope happens here, but hopefully we will get even more because if Mario's recruiting.

Last edited:
Reread that. I took it as a comparison, not that they were actually run run pass. All he’s saying is their offense felt predictable like those days.

It was pretty **** productive. I will take production over being unpredictable. Miami's offense was unpredictable last year, I never knew if we'd run into each other handing the ball off or if we'd drop a pass.

Advertisement
LMAO!

This is why you guys have GOT to stop listening to fans.

Houston had 3 backs play last year. In 13 games, they COMBINED for 254 carries. Combined. That's 19 running back carries per game, for the entire running back room.

Tune averaged 38 passes per game.

If your QB is throwing is 38 times a game, and your backs are running it 19 times a game, let me know how you come up with "run, run, pass, punt" LOLLL.

Houston also ranked 117th in the country in number of punts.

So they rarely run, they rarely punt, but the offense is run, run, pass, punt.

Please, please stop bringing this bull**** to the board. The vast majority of people here have literally zero brain cells, they're very easily polluted.
Yeah but

This move is positive IMO and here's why:

I don't know whether this guy is any good or bad. But some of the complaints or assumptions we've thrown around here about Mario is that he's hard-headed, stubborn, inflexible, and not willing to evolve or adapt. This move reflects differently. This might ultimately be a so-so hire or even a bad one but it speaks volumes about Mario himself. And since we're certainly stuck with Mario for a long time, that at least bodes well long term about Mario's willingness to adapt and evolve and change. That self-awareness is important IMO.
This

Mario will be here a long time, likely much longer than Dawson. Thinking long term here

Advertisement
Well, we don't know he was the play-caller, right? This is all rumor from jaded Houston fans. And we just took their OC, whenever you take a guy the fans are super scorned. As @TrumpyCane illustrated, the level of comp was very different in first half and second half anyway. But hey... anything is possible, sure.

For me, whether he's great or mid is secondary, he's bringing a 21st century offense in and that will move this program along whether he works out really well or not, know what I mean?

Honestly, I don't think Lashlee is a particularly good OC. I think the offense he brought was just less non-sensical for what Miami should be these days. Which is exactly what I hope happens here, but hopefully we will get even more because if Mario's recruiting.
And then you have a not jaded houston fan who knows more than the average Houston fan saying dana didn’t call plays

Advertisement
You do the same thing, trying to post receipts on people and being the board resident Karen all over again spreading your Karenbolical **** that's unwanted on this board and you wanna call the kettle black? Really?View attachment 230053
Then the part that really grinds my gears about you is that after you try to make yourself the smartest guy in the room and belittle a poRster, when said poRster decides to get right back at you with the same energy, you cry wolf and play Karen and run to the maudes and admins, which I don't know why, so please.... View attachment 230053

When you were gone, there was A LOT LESS karening going on, so please, don't start that ****. Keep this View attachment 230056 off the board and maybe, maybe, people wouldn't be coming at you so much.
View attachment 230054

Don't like it, tell it to a Maude.
Lol

Jesus Christo, man. Strong work. But maybe anywhere else but the OC thread on the day god finally gave us an OC. Start a spam thread directed at me or something, it's all good.

Dude I’m a UH grad you can’t tell me anything about them I don’t know lol we still had enough talent to not be THAT bad. We lost a RB on offense that we thought would be a top rusher in the nation as well as our Wr’s including tank being banged up. No way no matter who we lost on defense should we have been ranked where we were

Scheme goes a lot further on offense than defense. So you can lose more on offense and still be productive.

Advertisement
Back