Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Advertisement
None of us know if this is a good hire or bad hire. Kinda difficult to get too upset about it.

With that said, Dawson has been pretty horrible when operating an offense on his own without Holgerson overseeing things.

In 2015, Southern Mississippi was 11th in the country in scoring offense with Monken as HC. Nick Mullens was a Junior QB that threw 38 TDs and over 4400 yards. Monken took an NFL job the next season which prompted them to hire Dawson as new OC.

In 2016, with Dawson as OC, Mullens regressed throwing only 28 TDs and a shade over 3200 yards. Southern Miss also dropped 30+ spots to 47th in scoring offense. In 2017, they were 66th in scoring offense and then in 2018, they were 98th.

Which led Dawson back to Houston as TE coach under Holgerson and eventually promoted to OC.

Oh and before Southern Miss was Kentucky where he was a trainwreck. The warning signs are there. But we shall see.

From what I was told by someone who does this for a living:

"More bad years than good. When it's good, it's great. When it's bad, it's what Miami had last year."

And when I pressed him for more he said "Every option he had has a flag. Not much out there".

Overall he believes Dawson is a very competent coordinator but has had really high highs and really low lows. Let's hope Mario gives him a sizeable talent advantage and he can capitalize on what he's learned and we get those high highs.

An additional edit as well...after he mentioned the other options, I said "Well look, Kirby just hired Bobo" and he said "You see what I mean????"

Just not sure who you guys thought we were hiring that would be some can't fail candidate. I like this a lot, it's what a lot of us have been clamoring for vocally for years.

Last edited:
Jesus Wrong Hire Christ...

ludacris-i-like-that.gif

Advertisement
Honest question:

Do you think it's underwhelming because you've never heard of him?

Or do you maybe think that it's because you aren't aware of a guy who has produced 36 point per game offenses at Houston twice in the last two years, including one where they won 12 games and beat an SEC team in a bowl game, because you don't really follow CFB that closely?
Yes. I thought I explicitly made that clear?

It was basically my uneducated star-***** take.

Advertisement
From what I was told by someone who does this for a living:

"More bad years than good. When it's good, it's great. When it's bad, it's what Miami had last year."

And when I pressed him for more he said "Every option he had has a flag. Not much out there".

Overall he believes Dawson is a very competent coordinator but has had really high highs and really low lows. Let's hope Mario gives him a sizeable talent advantage and he can capitalize on what he's learned and we get those high highs.
So we got a guy that can be good but can also suck?

Yea definitely sounds like a mario hire.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This hire has me intrigued....would imagine that it'll have 2023 transfer portal WRs and prospective 2024 WRs intrigued as well.

Appears that our HC isn't quite as stubborn as we thought.

Also very encouraging that LCE signed off on this one in the OC thread...also hoping this will attract some Texas skill position kids

im sorry. in fairness to this guy, no OC has put up good numbers at Kentucky. They just run their Rb's into the ground, it is likely more a stoops issue.
The Southern Miss argument I get. Kentucky argument is stupid lol.

Someone already posted the two deep on offense. Hardly anyone is recognizable + Stoops

Advertisement
Back