Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Now that it's out - I was talking to an Associate AD at Kentucky - Mario was after Liam Coen for a bit. They ultimately held onto him. Mario actually made him drag out signing the deal apparently. He also had no buyout so they sweated it a bit.

At first I wasn't sure it he was talking about Coen or Scott Woodward - their WR coach - because he overlaps at UMass with Whipple and Hankerson. That was just pure speculation on my part to think maybe it was Whipple.

Now I have to ask him about Dawson because obviously there's that connection from his year there. My opinion without talking to him is Kentucky was a **** show for the first several years of Stoops tenure. He didn't want air-raid but kept hiring air-raid guys and putting his hands on it to effect his defense. He got in the way of Neal Brown, then Dawson, then Eddie Gran (not air-raid but still had his hands in it). Coen was the first guy he actually let run his offense and trusted.
This makes me feel better about the akentucky situation.

So will we see a combo of air raid and pro style because of passing and running concepts? With Daeson being an air raid guy and Mario/Alex with their run blocking concepts?

Advertisement
Two coordinators from Louisiana....okok. Air raid guy I like this a lot.

So he will be OC/QB coach. Now I'm ok if Coley comes to coach WR. I just didn't want him as OC.

Getting Coley as the WRC w/ a glittery associate or co something title, would be a nice coup. Being that I'm a little greedy, add Frost in an off-field consultant role, and I'm back at the Kool-Aid stand.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Do you honestly think Dana Holgersen wasn't heavily involved in the offense at Houston? Similarly, Mario is going to be involved in the offense here. It's highly unlikely that Mario is going to give Dawson carte blanche to run his own offense, particularly an air raid.
We had fans for months saying we only going after bro style paul johnson coaches so ill wait on that. I seen us threw 47 passes in the ACC opener against UNC. So this Cristobal is telling man to run the ball like an option doesnt stack up to me.

Advertisement
"• Dawson tutored signal caller Clayton Tune to a record-setting career. In 2022, Tune set The American Athletic Conference single-season touchdown passes record (40). The First-Team All-Conference honoree ranked third nationally in passing touchdowns, third in total offense (355.2) and fifth in passing yards per game (313.4)."

Now that it's out - I was talking to an Associate AD at Kentucky - Mario was after Liam Coen for a bit. They ultimately held onto him. Mario actually made him drag out signing the deal apparently. He also had no buyout so they sweated it a bit.

At first I wasn't sure it he was talking about Coen or Scott Woodward - their WR coach - because he overlaps at UMass with Whipple and Hankerson. That was just pure speculation on my part to think maybe it was Whipple.

Now I have to ask him about Dawson because obviously there's that connection from his year there. My opinion without talking to him is Kentucky was a **** show for the first several years of Stoops tenure. He didn't want air-raid but kept hiring air-raid guys and putting his hands on it to effect his defense. He got in the way of Neal Brown, then Dawson, then Eddie Gran (not air-raid but still had his hands in it). Coen was the first guy he actually let run his offense and trusted.
Post in thread 'The OC Candidates Thread 2.0'
https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/the-oc-candidates-thread-2-0.183167/post-6439809

i won breaking bad GIF

Advertisement
"• As Passing Game Coordinator, Dawson’s Cougars ranked eighth nationally in passing offense (314.0). Houston wide receiver Nathaniel Dell led the nation in receiving touchdowns (17) and receiving yards (1,398) while Matthew Golden set a Houston true freshman record with seven receiving touchdowns."

hopefully we can start getting some WRs again...

also for reference, we had 18 TOTAL passing TDs last year...

Advertisement
Back