Shalala Setting Tone Pre UF Game

lol..do you post on The UM academic forum.. Do you attend student graduations and rabidly cheer for these scholars?

It doesn't matter what I do, to the President of a University with a nearly billion dollar endowment a football team is pretty low on the priority list.

Is that really that hard to understand? It's mind boggling to me how you can't understand that the President of a University has more important things on their plate than the football team.

Advertisement
I'm all for education and public servants.. I'm not for an education system that let's my generation rob the next generation trying to get an education. I'm not for public servants who are so over paid and over perked they are bankrupting cities all over the country. Sucking off tax payers beyond belief! I'm a Canes Football fan, period. The rest is too corrupt for me.

Politics and diatribes against education and public servants...gotta love the Miami football message boards and interwebs. So much stupidity, so little time to read it.

She made the decision to move out of the Orange Bowl, right? I'd say that has something to do with it!
I would have rather sit in that old rusty broken down stadium that had character than the piece of garbage they play in now! That's all!

Which has what to do with Shalala?

Honest question: what do you think were Shalala's options? Do you believe she could have "made the decision" to stay in the OB, and then the politicians of the city of Miami would have said "well, ok Donna, you're the boss; we'll make it happen"?

Do you not recall the fact that Shalala had brokered a deal whereby UM would put up a significant sum of cash (I think it was in the 50-75 mil range) if the city would agree to renovate the OB? Do you not recall the city initially agreeing to that deal, and then backing out of it a couple years later? Do you not recall the plans for a possible side-by-side multi-sport complex, with a renovated OB on one side and a new Marlins stadium adjoining it? Do you not recall the city backing out of that deal too?

What do you think Donna should have done? Should she have tried to buy the OB outright from the city? Even though the city obviously wouldn't sell, as they wanted to put the Marlins stadium there instead?

Exactly Tar Heel Cane! See you at the UNC Game!

I would have rather sit in that old rusty broken down stadium that had character than the piece of garbage they play in now! That's all!
you are 1000% correct and you may even hurt some uppity peoples feelings. Whatever you do, do not state that football is more important than player grades and enrollment standards

You are a stupid f@cking kuntbag.

Those are my feelings.

Advertisement
Alumni and astute UM fans love Don Donna. Dorks who don't like her political affiliation and have no ties to UM other than liking the football team usually hate her and attack her with rabid vituperation.

Ahahaha, he mad!

you are 1000% correct and you may even hurt some uppity peoples feelings. Whatever you do, do not state that football is more important than player grades and enrollment standards

You are a stupid f@cking kuntbag.

Those are my feelings.

Alumni and astute UM fans love Don Donna. Dorks who don't like her political affiliation and have no ties to UM other than liking the football team usually hate her and attack her with rabid vituperation.

I'm an alum(and I consider myself an astute fan), and I certainly don't love Shalala.

Not even close. PEople don't like her because she worked for Clinton and is a Democrat.

same reason some folks liker so much...works both ways

No I'm pretty sure "folks like her so much" because she has increased the value of their degrees and all that nonsense. Although she hasn't done a good job with the area my degree is in from UM.

Advertisement
Man, this thing went off the rails.

I was just sharing an observation that at a pep rally she seemed to get the larger implications and wasnt shy about putting them out there. I liked the fact she did it because many administrators would play it safer than that and offer up platitudes etc. In addition, I will add that after hanging out at campus, dinner at south beach, pregame frat tail gate, watching the U stuff UF and losing most of my voice we went right to Marlins Park that evening. (it was a good weekend)

I realize that South Florida, if it was going to keep MLB, needed a new stadium given the weather etc.. However, if I lived in Miami I cant imagine not wanting to chase the Marlins ownership out of town. While having dinner in the Cleavelander was nice and the kid, and me too, loved the go go girls the fact that Jeffery Loria absolutely fleeced the city of Miami has to be a crime.

Seems to me, and I admit I dont know the whole story, that Loria wanted that location so the Orange Bowl never had a chance. Then, in addition, the city once burrned didnt want to upgrade current stadium and who can blame them. So, didnt Loria ***** UM in the process?

Seems like the hatred here, with respects to Shalala and the Orange Bowl is misplaced and should be aimed at Mr. Loria. Come to SF and see a great, privately funded ball park. I am the one wearing Orange Canes gear to go with my black SF giants stuff....

I surely don't hate her, don't care if she is dem or rep, both parties are corrupt as ****. I just think she sold the football team out years ago, now she is trying to make up for it. Probably because the boosters and others are sick of her **** and put pressure on her. No stadium, crap facilities, then hiring two assistant coaches to save money. Certainly was not good for football early on. Never attacked her, just point out the obvious. .

''Braman said UM “looks nothing like the strong institution it was five years ago,” and blamed “the poor performance of the medical school, a half-billion dollars of new debt and the depletion of almost all our cash reserves.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/...-schools-big-ambitions-led.html#storylink=cpy

Dig a little and you can see Shalala looks like another boob! Wasted millions of other people's money. Anyone with half a brain could see years ago our HC system is trillions under funded and cutbacks will need to take place. So buying a hospital with a bunch of over paid union workers and doctors in it was smart how? so please tell me how great she is? I don't want to bother digging any deeper, I'll really get disgusted. Stop putting these dopes on pedestals, they are over paid morons.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/22/v-fullstory/2918375/um-med-schools-big-ambitions-led.html

Go Donna!

She beats Tad Foote, who was our President while @ UM.

The U is ranked among the top 50 and the brand is global -- no other U president has accomplished that.

When Hilary wins in 2016, Donna will be off to that administration and we'll need a replacement.

Advertisement
I dont have a horse in this race, but based on how the athletic dept grew( especially with the football program) at Wisky, I never got the sense she was a Tad Foote-type that hated athletics. I think her history shows that she doesnt, in fact

Love her, hate her, or other, that woman is an absolute dynamo of a manager. Her life's resume speaks for itself. Moreover, I get the feeling that she sees the decline of UM athletics since her arrival as a *potential* stain on her legacy, which is why I believe she appears to be much more involved in the oversight of the Athletic Dept in recent years.

One man's opinion.

next to golden and perhaps Coley Shalala is one of the biggest assets that the program has to offer. She can sell education to all those kids that will not make the NFL.

We will have a stadium again- make no mistake about that either. Be patient - don't think for once that once the wins start piling up Golden wont be pushing for a new house.

In the meantime pls drop the OB stuff- pinning that on Shalala is so wrong on many levels. It was as has been noted a colossal failure on all parties involved.

Advertisement
I dont have a horse in this race, but based on how the athletic dept grew( especially with the football program) at Wisky, I never got the sense she was a Tad Foote-type that hated athletics. I think her history shows that she doesnt, in fact

I might be wrong about this, but I don't think Tad Foote hated athletics, I think Tad Foote hated the histrionics demonstrated by some of the football players back in the day.

I might be wrong about this, but I don't think Tad Foote hated athletics, I think Tad Foote hated the histrionics demonstrated by some of the football players back in the day.

My reading has always been that Foote believed that CFB should not be the major business it was becoming during his tenure. I'm sure he was fine with club sports and intramurals and such, but he didn't like sports (football in particular) upstaging academics. He couldn't envision a way that big-time sports and academics could coexist and be mutually beneficial.

Last edited:
How could anyone hate Shalala?

1. They are the type that cannot possibly like someone because they have a different political affiliation than themselves

I can possibly like someone who has a different political affiliation.

2. They believe that the UNIVERSITY of Miami is a pro-football program above and beyond everything else
[The UNIVERSITY of Miami IS a university, it is not a pro-football program and it is silly to suggest "they" believe so, this needs no further explanation.
In sum, they are usually the most ignorant types of Miami "fans"
1+2 does not add up to your sum.
Thanks for the banal and vapid characterization. Maybe you should also throw in folks that don't like hobbits. Always good to hear from the folks up on the summit.
So then why do you not like Shalala, assuming you don't, and assuming you don't fit into either of the two prongs? I'm all ears.

Thank you for assuming I don't fit into your model. So you see, you are capable of engaging someone you disagree with. Insofar as Ms Shalala, the hate word is over the top, she seems to be a delightful little hobbit. I'm just not so spring-loaded to be one of the cool kids. And I think a great university could probably do better.
What do you see in her that makes you think there are better people for the job? You can try skirting the question however you'd like. Not wanting to be one of the "cool kids" isn't sufficient.

Advertisement
Back