Setting the edge???

The 40 slide teaches block down step down. In JJs defense in the above play, Roche would have followed the OT tight to the LOS, and then taken on the pulling guard with his OUTSIDE shoulder.

Its literally the exact opposite of what we do here now.

And you’ve proven my point: if the DE is coached to get up the field that far, and there is no DB to force to outside of him, how exactly can you ask an A gap responsible LB to make that play? YOU CANT. It’s bad design.

on that point, we definitely agree.

maybe i wasn't understanding your point correctly, but it's supposed to be the B gap (W or Str) that has the edge responsibility.

if you are saying he's asking an A gap LB (essentially the Mike) to be the edge setter? i don;'t see that from the tapes, but if that's what you're claiming, if it's true, then you and I are on the same page, that is FUBAR.

Advertisement
In five years, we played one massively overrated (as usual) three loss Norte Dame team in our house and got a ton of turnovers and killed them.

Every SINGLE other big game we get boat raced. Every single big game Diaz ever coached against a good offensive unit he has gotten destroyed, dating back to his days at Texas and MSU. When you cite one game amongst a pile of others, that’s called the outlier.
Yeah, I know he got fired from there and ND is always overrated but that was a good year for the defense.

I used this game as an example because them & Wisconsin where the best teams we played. I was just asking you for what is the biggest difference between Manny and Blake because I feel Manny as a DC is way better than Blake and just want you to point out the biggest difference the way they run the Defense.
Our D in the video I posted played way faster than now.

Yeah, I know he got fired from there and ND is always overrated but that was a good year for the defense.

I used this game as an example because them & Wisconsin where the best teams we played. I was just you for what is the biggest difference between Manny and Blake because I feel Manny as a DC is way better than Blake and just want you to point out the biggest difference the way they run the Defense.
You can’t win around here. You dominate like they say you’re “supposed to” and the team is overrated. You don’t dominate and your bottom dweller of a team.

on that point, we definitely agree.

maybe i wasn't understanding your point correctly, but it's supposed to be the B gap (W or Str) that has the edge responsibility.

if you are saying he's asking an A gap LB (essentially the Mike) to be the edge setter? i don;'t see that from the tapes, but if that's what you're claiming, if it's true, then you and I are on the same page, that is FUBAR.

Mccloud is aligned to the weak side A gap (nesta weakside B, Roche C). The corner doesn’t have any run responsibility bc we are playing 3 deep zone. One of those three guys has to be the edge player.

-If McCloud is that guy, and he literally has nobody behind him, then he can’t be lined up between the center and the guard.
- if Roche is that guy, then he and Phillips can’t be getting five yards up field
- if it’s a safety rolling down, then Bolden was on the wrong side

And also, if McCloud is the force player that means the weakside A gap is the other LBs responsibility. That LB aligns in the strong side B gap. Asking him to cross an UNCOVERED CENTER to be able to play weakside A gap, all so you can rush your DEs up the field, is also dumb. You are putting players in terrible positions for the sake of a gimmicky scheme and it’s effed up.

Advertisement
Is this how they're taught to set the edge?

30d34cc1-ea1d-488f-b4ec-5ee9d4144ec1-USATSI_16776907.jpg

Advertisement
Back