Serious Question

After seeing what Chris Peterson did at Boise State, there’s no convincing me that we haven’t had enough talent to win. College success is based almost solely on the scheme you run. Just look at LSU last year.

Advertisement
Yeah but none of those teams had bum quarterbacks. Maybe that last Payton Manning season was the closest but I’d still take a washed up Payton Manning over Trent Dilfer.

Cardale Jones was a bum. tOSU won a ring with him at QB in 2014. Neither AJ McCarron and Greg McElroy were elite QBs, and they won 3 championships between them at Bama from 2009-2012 (which was a defensive monster). The game hasn't changed. It's the same as it's always been. You have Heisman trophy winners that were forgotten backups, then they go to a spread offense and suddenly they are 1st overall picks. Jalen Hurts was a rich man's Malik Rosier. You'd have been laughed out of the room if you came onto CIS at the beginning of last season and said Jalen Hurts was an elite QB on par with Trevor Lawrence. Hurts can run but is a terribly inaccurate passer, yet he goes to Oklahoma and throws 30+ TDs. Systems make QBs.

If this was year 2 of Miami running a spread offense, I think this same team with the same personnel wins 11 games, at minimum with King at QB and he puts up eye-popping stats. Unfortunately Diaz opted for a pro-style system designed by a loser OC in his 1st year. It's hard enough to learn a new offense, but with the quarantine stuff that could go into the summer, it's going to be even harder to have everyone on the same page.

Brad Kaaya could have IMO, his accuracy was the best we've seen since Steve Walsh & finished his career as the all-time passing yards leader in school history. I think if you give Kaaya 3-4 years with a big time OC he would've at least had us playing in the ACCCG in multiple seasons.

I think Stephen Morris had the arm talent to be a very good QB if he had a much better OC & for my own personal biased reasons I would have loved to see what Jacory would look like in a Spread Offense.

More than who we had that would've won us a Natty with a better offense, the bigger issue is the local South Fla QB's that we missed on that went on to have successful College & Pro careers.

I 1,000% think we would've been competing for Natty's over the years if we had landed kids like Rakeem Cato, Teddy Bridgewater, Geno Smith, Quinton Flowers, Lamar Jackson, Mike White & Tyler Huntley etc... **** even Thad Lewis.

This list is why I laugh when people say you need to leave South FL for elite QBs.

For 20 years we've done everything we can to hold ourselves back.

We see a prospect like Lamar Jackson, who has been the best player on the field in every game since he was in pee wee, and instead of designing an offense where your best player is the one who handles the ball the most, we insist on saying, "We're pro-style, bro, you can play WR and STs.".

Then when there's kids like Tutu Atwell, who have elite speed and are actually willing to play WR, but we let Louisville pick him up. Remind, what school did Teddy Bridgewater and Lamar Jackson end up signing with? Crazy how many programs our nincompoop recruiting have helped build.

And I agree with you about Kaaya. Heck, just give him a defense and he probably makes the ACCCG, with a great OC we probably even win an absurd amount of games.

Last edited:
Maybe not a popular opinion but Kaaya or Morris if they were on an LSU/Clemson level team.

Honestly Morris gets us in the playoffs undefeated with a punchers chance if he were on Rosiers 10 win team.
Agree on SlowMo, kid had serious arm talent. A couple of his deep posts to Dorsett were elite lasers.

Advertisement
Cardale Jones was a bum. tOSU won a ring with him at QB in 2014. Neither AJ McCarron and Greg McElroy were elite QBs, and they won 3 championships between them at Bama from 2009-2012 (which was a defensive monster). The game hasn't changed. It's the same as it's always been. You have Heisman trophy winners that were forgotten backups, then they go to a spread offense and suddenly they are 1st overall picks. Jalen Hurts was a rich man's Malik Rosier. You'd have been laughed out of the room if you came onto CIS at the beginning of last season and said Jalen Hurts was an elite QB on par with Trevor Lawrence. Hurts can run but is a terribly inaccurate passer, yet he goes to Oklahoma and throws 30+ TDs. Systems make QBs.

If this was year 2 of Miami running a spread offense, I think this same team with the same personnel wins 11 games, at minimum with King at QB and he puts up eye-popping stats. Unfortunately Diaz opted for a pro-style system designed by a loser OC in his 1st year. It's hard enough to learn a new offense, but with the quarantine stuff that could go into the summer, it's going to be even harder to have everyone on the same page.
Cardale Jones played incredible during OSU’s championship run. It’s it like the win games despite him. Also, Bama WAS able to win with non descript quarterback play in the past but those days are over. I doubt you’ll ever see a “game manager” QB for the Tide again under Saban. But otherwise I agree. I don’t think installing the new offense will be a huge task but having some extra spring practices would have been a huge help.

Could any of the QB's that have played for the U since Dorsey have won a Ship with a decent to great OC. I keep hearing how it's more the OC than the QB and I'm really starting to believe it. But I'm not 100%sold.

Trent Dilfer = SB Champ QB

Won with outstanding OL play and D that could be argued in top 5 of NFL history.

I believe any serviceable QB and OC, for that matter, has puncher's chance at the belt with Top OL and Top 5 D, however WR group needs to at least help somewhat.

IMHO, the three single most important position groups are OL, DL, and WR (who can get separation and make catches)

Last edited:
Morris or Kaaya. Morris had the best chance in 2013 of the d wasn’t dog**** and The Duke being hurt after FSU obviously hurt also. Kaaya was a few plays away in 2016 from going 11-1 with that loss being to Va Tech when half of the d was out hurt.

Surprised not one person mentioned Kyle Wright. That kid got hosed here big time, he had an amazing arm and I thought for sure he was going to be an amazing qb for us. Then he gets a new OC like every year he was here I think.

Advertisement
Truthfully zero

I feel Kaaya had the talent to win a Chip in those years. The problem with Kaaya was his lack of footwork or presence in the pocket. If Kaaya had better OL play durning his years, he would have won atleast the Coastal every year. He was a play or two away from beating FSU’s so called best team.

Surprised not one person mentioned Kyle Wright. That kid got hosed here big time, he had an amazing arm and I thought for sure he was going to be an amazing qb for us. Then he gets a new OC like every year he was here I think.

tenor (20).gif

This list is why I laugh when people say you need to leave South FL for elite QBs.

For 20 years we've done everything we can to hold ourselves back.

We see a prospect like Lamar Jackson, who has been the best player on the field in every game since he was in pee wee, and instead of designing an offense where your best player is the one who handles the ball the most, we insist on saying, "We're pro-style, bro, you can play WR and STs.".

Then when there's kids like Tutu Atwell, who have elite speed and are actually willing to play WR, but we let Louisville pick him up. Remind, what school did Teddy Bridgewater and Lamar Jackson end up signing with? Crazy how many programs are a nincompoop recruiting have helped build.

And I agree with you about Kaaya. Heck, just give him a defense and he probably makes the ACCCG, with a great OC we probably even win an absurd amount of games.

Bro, our eval game has been big dookie. Or then, we recruit players that look good on paper, but don’t fit the scheme b/c it’s so rigid & dogmatic. Smh. Too much square pegs in round holes.

I know Kyle Wright was SUPPOSED to have an amazing arm, but can anyone recall a single play in his UM career where it actually looked like he had an amazing arm during live action?

Advertisement
I think the plan was to have the system in place to recruit better players. Alot of our QBs would of thrived in a true spread system built around them, then you could of recruited a Lamar Jackson type to play with the elite skill guys.

Could any of the QB's that have played for the U since Dorsey have won a Ship with a decent to great OC. I keep hearing how it's more the OC than the QB and I'm really starting to believe it. But I'm not 100%sold.

Berlin in '03 maybe if they kept him in the gun. That defense was good.

Would have been nice to see Kayaa, Morris, and Wright with stability/better playcalling.

Yes the team does still matter but those guys won super bowls 20 years ago. The game is a lot different now. A defense alone can’t carry your whole team anymore

Weird. It's almost like I said the ENTIRE TEAM MATTERS and you're talking about one side of the ball.

Didn't realize the Bucs and Ravens fielded offenses consisting solely of a QB.

Advertisement
Maybe not a popular opinion but Kaaya or Morris if they were on an LSU/Clemson level team.

Honestly Morris gets us in the playoffs undefeated with a punchers chance if he were on Rosiers 10 win team.

That team still wasn’t beating Clemson in the ACCG.

I know Kyle Wright was SUPPOSED to have an amazing arm, but can anyone recall a single play in his UM career where it actually looked like he had an amazing arm during live action?
The 2005 game against vt at their place I think is the game im thinking of, he was throwing darts all over the field. He literally had a new Oc every dam year for us. Kid got hosed pretty bad.

Advertisement
Back