Serious Question

canecrazy23

CIS GIF Champion 2021
Could any of the QB's that have played for the U since Dorsey have won a Ship with a decent to great OC. I keep hearing how it's more the OC than the QB and I'm really starting to believe it. But I'm not 100%sold.

Advertisement
Like I wrote to you in the other thread, it's very rarely one or the other. A transcendent QB - especially a runner - can make plays in a mediocre system. A transcendent OC/scheme can elevate a QB (especially an accurate one). In the case of LSU, however, given how many of the variables stayed relatively the same but the outcome was significantly different, you have to look what significantly changed. And, that's how they called plays for the athletes they already had on the roster.

I don't think this is a simple "this OR that" scenario. There's nuance to how the pieces fit together.

Advertisement
We've seen first hand what happens when you allow certain quarterbacks to play in a scheme that's better suited to them. Brock Berlin was borderline putrid in 2003 playing in a majority under center offense but when they finally put him in the shot gun and let him sling it, he came alive. For the first half of 2016, Brad Kaaya looked really bad in Mark Richt's run heavy two back scheme. About halfway through the loss to Notre Dame, they took the handcuffs off and he was fantastic the rest of the season. These kids all play in spread systems in high school but when they get to Miami, our coaches put them under center and make them run these archaic offenses from 20 years ago and they struggle. If we had retained Dan Enos, D'Eriq King would never have transferred here. Even if he had, I'd give our offense a tiny chance of improving with him. Good players look bad in bad schemes.

Advertisement
Yes the team does still matter but those guys won super bowls 20 years ago. The game is a lot different now. A defense alone can’t carry your whole team anymore

The Broncos D single handedly beat the Panthers and won the SB, The Pats D was the MVP of their SB win 2 years ago over the Rams. The Seahawks and Giants have also won recent SBs on the strength of their defenses. You can still win a SB on the back of an elite D, but the game has changed to favor the offenses like you stated.

Last edited:
The Broncos D beat the Panthers and won the SB, The Pats D was the MVP of their SB win 2 years ago over the Rams. The Seahawks and Giants have also won recent SBs on the strength of their defenses. You can still win a SB on the back of an elite D, but the game has changed to favor the offenses like you stated.
Yeah but none of those teams had bum quarterbacks. Maybe that last Payton Manning season was the closest but I’d still take a washed up Payton Manning over Trent Dilfer.

Truthfully zero

2003 (the two debacle games vs VT and Tenn away) and 2004 (3 losses were a combined 16 points) were close and 2009 could've come a **** of a lot closer. Randy and Whipple went 3-1 against a **** of a stretch to start the 2009 season. That's the OC of the 109th ranked Pitt offense per SP+ and a guy relegated to being a G5 coordinator running the show. Imagine a real head coach with 2009's talent. Someone that could've kept guys like Arthur Brown on campus and Jacory Harris focused. I blame the admin for hiring lame duck HC's in Coker and Shannon more than the QB's themselves.

Advertisement
Brad Kaaya could have IMO, his accuracy was the best we've seen since Steve Walsh & finished his career as the all-time passing yards leader in school history. I think if you give Kaaya 3-4 years with a big time OC he would've at least had us playing in the ACCCG in multiple seasons.

I think Stephen Morris had the arm talent to be a very good QB if he had a much better OC & for my own personal biased reasons I would have loved to see what Jacory would look like in a Spread Offense.

More than who we had that would've won us a Natty with a better offense, the bigger issue is the local South Fla QB's that we missed on that went on to have successful College & Pro careers.

I 1,000% think we would've been competing for Natty's over the years if we had landed kids like Rakeem Cato, Teddy Bridgewater, Geno Smith, Quinton Flowers, Lamar Jackson, Mike White & Tyler Huntley etc... **** even Thad Lewis.

Brad Kaaya could have IMO, his accuracy was the best we've seen since Steve Walsh & finished his career as the all-time passing yards leader in school history. I think if you give Kaaya 3-4 years with a big time OC he would've at least had us playing in the ACCCG in multiple seasons.

I think Stephen Morris had the arm talent to be a very good QB if he had a much better OC & for my own personal biased reasons I would have loved to see what Jacory would look like in a Spread Offense.

More than who we had that would've won us a Natty with a better offense, the bigger issue is the local South Fla QB's that we missed on that went on to have successful College & Pro careers.

I 1,000% think we would've been competing for Natty's over the years if we had landed kids like Rakeem Cato, Teddy Bridgewater, Geno Smith, Quinton Flowers, Lamar Jackson, Mike White & Tyler Huntley etc... **** even Thad Lewis.

Yep hitting on a portion of those QBs keeps us relevant and we wouldn't have dropped off so far.

Advertisement
Yeah but none of those teams had bum quarterbacks. Maybe that last Payton Manning season was the closest but I’d still take a washed up Payton Manning over Trent Dilfer.
He did nothing the entire game, the entire Brocos O had 190 yards for the game. The Broncos D won that game

Advertisement
Back