Serious Question

Weird. It's almost like I said the ENTIRE TEAM MATTERS and you're talking about one side of the ball.

Didn't realize the Bucs and Ravens fielded offenses consisting solely of a QB.
But your point was that a good enough team can overcome bad quarterback play and win a championship. My point is: not today. Put Trent Dilfer on any NFL team In 2020 and they likely don’t even make the playoffs, let alone win a Super Bowl. The closest comparison in today’s game would be the Titans. Even though Ryan Tannehil isn’t great, he’s way better than Trent Dilfer ever was.

Advertisement
I feel Kaaya had the talent to win a Chip in those years. The problem with Kaaya was his lack of footwork or presence in the pocket. If Kaaya had better OL play durning his years, he would have won atleast the Coastal every year. He was a play or two away from beating FSU’s so called best team.

I also thought about Kaaya but I'm not so sure.

None were ship worthy but Berlin, Harris, Morris would've had the best shot in a spread.

How many teams have we had since Dorsey that we’re good enough to win a NC?
Berlin's teams could have. Brock was a perfect spread QB before its time. Had Larry or an OC, just put him in the shotgun the entire game we would have had chance to win one. His drop back was not Miami lever but the boy was magic in the two minute shotgun.

Advertisement
Depends on what their surrounding talent was. I really don’t think Dorsey was anything more than a meh QB surrounded by a pro bowl roster. I don’t think Dorsey as QB was that much different than Coker as head coach-sure, he was there, but did he really have that much to do with the success of the 01 team? I honestly think Kaaya was a better QB than Dorsey.

I think everybody except for Freeman and last year’s QBs probably could have QBed the 2001 team to a title. To be honest, if Brad Kaaya has been QB from 2000-2002, we probably would have at least 2 national titles from those years rather than just one.

Could any of our QBs since Dorsey have lead their teams to a NC with the same surrounding talent they had, but a better OC? Probably not. I mean, if Joe Montana is QB and Bill Walsh is OC, it’s still difficult to win a NC if your surrounding talent is rated #15-20 in America by recruiting services. Especially if Donofrio is coordinating the other side of the ball.

Last edited:
After seeing what Chris Peterson did at Boise State, there’s no convincing me that we haven’t had enough talent to win. College success is based almost solely on the scheme you run. Just look at LSU last year.

Eh, Chris Petersen was pretty meh at Washington. Makes you wonder how his Boise teams would have done in a real conference. And Boise State definitely had the most talent in the WAC when Peterson was there

Sure, Boise had some wins over BCS conference teams (Georgia, Va Tech, OU), but getting up for one of those big games a year is a lot different than getting up for those games 9 times. And while those teams he beat were good, they weren't great.

Who since Dorsey could have won it on Dorsey’s team?

Any of Kaaya, Morris, Berlin possibly???

This, exactly.

I think there are tons of CFB QBs who could have QBed the 01 team to a national title. Not sure why some people think only Dorsey could have done it.

However, I don't think there are too many QBs who could QB the current Canes roster to a title.

Brad Kaaya could have IMO, his accuracy was the best we've seen since Steve Walsh & finished his career as the all-time passing yards leader in school history. I think if you give Kaaya 3-4 years with a big time OC he would've at least had us playing in the ACCCG in multiple seasons.

I think Stephen Morris had the arm talent to be a very good QB if he had a much better OC & for my own personal biased reasons I would have loved to see what Jacory would look like in a Spread Offense.

More than who we had that would've won us a Natty with a better offense, the bigger issue is the local South Fla QB's that we missed on that went on to have successful College & Pro careers.

I 1,000% think we would've been competing for Natty's over the years if we had landed kids like Rakeem Cato, Teddy Bridgewater, Geno Smith, Quinton Flowers, Lamar Jackson, Mike White & Tyler Huntley etc... **** even Thad Lewis.
Jacoby Brisett

Advertisement
Brad Kaaya could have IMO, his accuracy was the best we've seen since Steve Walsh & finished his career as the all-time passing yards leader in school history. I think if you give Kaaya 3-4 years with a big time OC he would've at least had us playing in the ACCCG in multiple seasons.

I think Stephen Morris had the arm talent to be a very good QB if he had a much better OC & for my own personal biased reasons I would have loved to see what Jacory would look like in a Spread Offense.

More than who we had that would've won us a Natty with a better offense, the bigger issue is the local South Fla QB's that we missed on that went on to have successful College & Pro careers.

I 1,000% think we would've been competing for Natty's over the years if we had landed kids like Rakeem Cato, Teddy Bridgewater, Geno Smith, Quinton Flowers, Lamar Jackson, Mike White & Tyler Huntley etc... **** even Thad Lewis.
I have a feeling Nik Scalzo could be on that list in a few years, too. He reminds me of a lot of Lewis and Flowers.

Advertisement
Depends on what their surrounding talent was. I really don’t think Dorsey was anything more than a meh QB surrounded by a pro bowl roster. I don’t think Dorsey as QB was that much different than Coker as head coach-sure, he was there, but did he really have that much to do with the success of the 01 team? I honestly think Kaaya was a better QB than Dorsey.

I think everybody except for Freeman and last year’s QBs probably could have QBed the 2001 team to a title. To be honest, if Brad Kaaya has been QB from 2000-2002, we probably would have at least 2 national titles from those years rather than just one.

Could any of our QBs since Dorsey have lead their teams to a NC with the same surrounding talent they had, but a better OC? Probably not. I mean, if Joe Montana is QB and Bill Walsh is OC, it’s still difficult to win a NC if your surrounding talent is rated #15-20 in America by recruiting services. Especially if Donofrio is coordinating the other side of the ball.

Dorsey was one of the smartest QB's we've ever had so I think he's a little better than you give him credit for.

Advertisement
Back