Serious Question: name 5 teams that have a better RB core than the Canes

Advertisement
We had Brown and Franklin on scholarship - there was no need to run Rooster 30 times a game.
brown is too slow and franklin apparently was interested in partying until the latter part of the season.

agreed, rooster was over used, but i gotta tell you i'm in agreement with @Coach Macho, he's a tough kid and got better with more playing time in each game. his toughness and endurance were a pleasant surprise.

I love me some rooster, but I hope he isn’t getting 15 carries a game next year. 7-10 carries with 3-5 receptions is where I’d like him. Throw another 2-3 carries Brashard’s way. Do most of the heavy running with some combination of Chaney, Franklin, and Citizen.

Not gonna lie, I did virtually zero research on Citizen during this recruiting cycle.

But after watching some tape and reading up, I would not be surprised if a year or two from now he is the bellcow putting up big time stats on a UM offense that is 55% run heavy.

His acceleration and vision at his size is very impressive.

not sure why he isn't a 5 star. Special talent.

Advertisement
We definitely have the best RB core in the ACC, but who else has this kind of talent and depth? Maybe UGA, BAMA and the *s. That's about it I think.

This is the kind of quality and depth we had in 2001.

If Mirabol increases our OL to above average, maybe even good, we are going to monster the ACC on the ground.
Welp. . Florida has 5* lingawd.

I love me some rooster, but I hope he isn’t getting 15 carries a game next year. 7-10 carries with 3-5 receptions is where I’d like him. Throw another 2-3 carries Brashard’s way. Do most of the heavy running with some combination of Chaney, Franklin, and Citizen.
I like the way you think. I like it a lot. We're building an extremely versatile backfield. A talented OC should be able to do so many things to threaten the defense. Use some combination of Chaney, Franklin and Citizen to do the heavy between the tackles power running and use Knighton, Parrish and Brashard Smith on jet sweeps, reverses, screens, flares, swing passes, wheel routes and check downs.

Obviously, Citizen and a healthy Chaney are the only 2 backs capable of being the feature back and doing all of the above but with all of this talent around we don't need them to. With Franklin we only got a small glimpse of what he could be capable of last year. With an off season under Feld, Mario's emphasis on toughness and physicality plus his urgency and focus on elevating the play of the OL, Thad Franklin could be a devastating weapon late in games when we want to slam the door on the opposition and grind the clock down.

Whether or not our backfield is top 5 is completely irrelevant. What is relevant is how our OC uses the talent we do have and there is plenty of talent there. A great OC will lose sleep at night just thinking of all the ways he can use all the players I listed above and that's just the RBs.

We definitely have the best RB core in the ACC, but who else has this kind of talent and depth? Maybe UGA, BAMA and the *s. That's about it I think.

This is the kind of quality and depth we had in 2001.

If Mirabol increases our OL to above average, maybe even good, we are going to monster the ACC on the ground.
If all stay healthy and brown and Thad get in better conditioning. Imo think it’s the top rb room in nation with 6 legit high 4star rbs. With a good mixture of different running specialties and backs 2 that could take most snaps in the new high priority for running the ball more and going after kids who can run block and multiple different size rbs… I expect us to be dramatically better running next season

Advertisement
brown is too slow and franklin apparently was interested in partying until the latter part of the season.

agreed, rooster was over used, but i gotta tell you i'm in agreement with @Coach Macho, he's a tough kid and got better with more playing time in each game. his toughness and endurance were a pleasant surprise.
Also got concussed in two games. He’s neither big enough or durable enough to carry the load by himself. The previous medical and coaching staff should be held accountable for this. Good kid who was asked to do too much.

I'll put money on Rooster being the starter game 1 and in every game in which he is healthy. His carries should drop to 15-20, but he is a legit #1 back and he proved it last year. And he is durable, and is a weapon in the pass game.
The question is who will be #2 or #3.
Stop acting like we "settled" for Rooster as the #1 back last year. Almost every school would kill for him as a #1 back.

I can definitely see Rooster winning the starting job - but he has to get better, and I think he can & will.

Knighton averaged 4.0 ypc as a FR & 3.9 ypc as a SO. That's bad. That's lowest in the country level bad. Outside of OL & play calling, he needs to improve.

The 2 things I'd predict about our backfield right now is:

1) The competition for the starting job should be wide open. IMO 5 RB's have a legitimate shot at starting
2) Whoever starts, decent chance they don't get many more carries than the 2nd & 3rd RB. Whoever lands at 4th & 5th, it'll be hard for them to get carries

Last edited:
Also got concussed in two games. He’s neither big enough or durable enough to carry the load by himself. The previous medical and coaching staff should be held accountable for this. Good kid who was asked to do too much.
You’re referring to Rooster? That’s awful to hear.

agreed, he was overused. i haven't seen any news about the medical staff being replaced, certainly not the first item to fix, but i hope it isn't long. we need to fire everyone and start afresh.

Advertisement
This is dead on. There's a difference between how "deep" a backfield is, and how "good" it is.

If we had 5 Cam Harris's on the roster - that's great depth. But it's just a solid backfield.

How good a backfield is will be defined by it's top 1-2 RB's (the guys actually getting the carries). For Miami to go from good to great, we need 1 or 2 guys to step up and separate themselves.
Just these guys practicing and hanging out together raises everyone’s game , watching each other get reps then when it’s your turn you naturally kick it up a notch instinctively and soon everyone is at top performance just itching to just touch the football.

YES, I’m excited for these DUDES yes soon everyone in the backfields game will demand DUDE 🙌❤️❤️ it.

Oh and the OL will like it too😎

GOCANES

I think we may be underestimating Parrish. He is not transferring to Miami to sit on the bench.
Hopefully that raises the level of everyone in the RB room and we have a great competition.

Advertisement
Y’all gotta stop assuming everybody on this team is elite just from their high school film. Knighton is good, Chaney is never healthy, Parrish is good for depth, and none of the other ones have played enough to see. What’s so special about that room? Potential? Absolutely. Proven? Not even close.

Advertisement
Back