Serious Question: name 5 teams that have a better RB core than the Canes

420C1BBD-7ADA-44BD-BA86-99737E5090EA.gif

Advertisement
Nah you need 6 guys at that position - there's only so much of a pounding you can take.

I HATED that Lashlee ran Rooster into the ground last season. Rotate, rotate, rotate - we have the talented depth to do it. Nothing worse as a defence than seeing one talented RB walk off the field and a fresh talented RB run onto it. It's demoralising.
We didn’t have depth last year imo,

Advertisement
If Chaney is out, watch for Citizen to be starting by week 6-8, with Rooster being the change of pace/home run threat

Good problem to have. Tough to see Thad/Brown being much contributors unless we sustain multiple injuries

If Chaney is out, watch for Citizen to be starting by week 6-8, with Rooster being the change of pace/home run threat

Good problem to have. Tough to see Thad/Brown being much contributors unless we sustain multiple injuries
Parrish too

sad to say but this is a classic CIS thread overrating our own players

if we offered to trade RB rooms w/ Ohio State they would laugh us off the face of the planet based on TreVeyon Henderson alone. the same is true for Texas and Bijan Robinson. our depth looks nice but having that no. 1 stud is more important than anything. you could prob throw Auburn and Tank Bigsby in there to be quite honest. and based on recruiting rankings Ohio State and Texas would look at our collection of 4 stars and say they have the same thing if not better.

Texas A&M has a very productive back in Devin Achane, a top 50 overall player in LJ Johnson behind him and signed a top 100 overall player (Le'Veon Moss) in this cycle to go along w/ Amari Daniels who averaged almost 6 ypc last year.

Clemson has a 5 star back who was productive for them last year and another high 4 star kid behind him, I honestly doubt they'd look upon our RB room w/ much if any jealousy.

i'm not even gonna touch on the idea that our current RBs are anywhere near Portis, McGahee, and Gore

let's actually see some real consistent performance from our backfield and then we can revisit the possibility of this
A sobering slap in the face that will knock those orange and green glasses right the fack off but quite necessary nonetheless. We tend to do that a lot and by that I mean overrating our players/roster. It's totally natural and understandable however and every fan base does this. @rayray makes some very good points and on the whole he's absolutely right. Don't get it twisted though, we do have an excellent looking backfield that can potentially be everything that we are currently making it out to be but that is going to take hard work and GameDay performance to accurately guage. We currently have .... .

Don Chaney. Was the clear cut #1 last off season before hurting his shoulder then as he was coming back from that at the beginning of the year he tears his ACL. It's a real shame too because Chaney has everything you look for in a feature back. He has the strength, vision, speed and explosion you want. Unfortunately he has been snakebitten by injuries this far in his career. How Chaney comes back from the ACL will be crucial to his future. I'm a huge fan of this young man and he is a great kid so I'm pulling for him to get through this.

Jaylan Knighton. The "Rooster" had himself a very solid year in 2021 with 561 yards rushing at 3.9 ypc and 20 rec for 280 yards at 14.0 ypc. He had 11 TDs overall. Again very solid after missing the first 4 games due to suspension. Knighton is a speedy RB who thrives on his ability to make big plays. His combination of speed and explosiveness make him a nightmare in the open field. That being said, Knighton isn't the type ideally suited to take on the entire load expected of a feature back type. Rooster can run inside but is at his best when he can turn the corner or get the ball out in the open field. An elite and very versatile 3rd down back.

Thad Franklin. At 6' 240 lbs Franklin is a beast! He is a powerfully built bruiser who has the ability to anchor a running game when you want to physically beat up on teams and control the tempo and the clock. Franklin rushed for 172 yards on 23 carries for a 7.5 ypc in limited action towards the end of the season. Had 1 reception for 18 yards vs Virginia Tech. Great inside runner with good short area explosion who lacks breakaway speed.

Cody Brown. 6' 215 lbs Brown saw the field as a true freshman as the 2nd RB due to injuries to Don Chaney and CamRon Harris. A capable blocker in pass protection at this point and well developed physically, Brown runs with good contact balance and is physical enough to run through arm tackles at the second level. In limited action, Brown didn't show enough vision and power at the los and I attributed that to the fact that the game needs to slow down a bit for him to be able to truly show what he brings to the table. In high school Brown was a tough powerful runner who rarely went down on first contact and used his strength to overpower defenders at the point of attack. Decisive runner who likes to quickly get upfield but lack the high end burst and top gear in the open field.

Henry Parrish. At 5'10" 190 lbs Parrish posseses good speed, excellent vision and runs with very good contact balance that has allowed Parrish to average 3.09 yards after initial contact. To put into better context, Jaylan Knighton averaged 2.17 yards after initial contact. Parrish also excels at pass protection and dis not allow a single sack in 2021. Parrish rushed for 551 yards and had 173 yds receiving on 21 receptions. At Ole Miss Parrish was part a rushing offense that consisted of 3 RBs who all contributed. Parrish was the #3 RB. Parrish adds nice depth and a good amount of experience.

Trevonte Citizen. 6' 217 lbs. In one of the more shocking developments on NSD Miami was able to sign the high 4 star RB from Louisiana. Has impressive initial burst and acceleration. Citizen is a slasher type RB who is at his best in one cut situations. Has a good enough top end gear to be a threat to house long runs. Played LB and RB in high school. Posseses high floor physical traits and runs hard with good pad level but can sometimes run too upright. Projects as a potential impact starter at the P5 level.

Not gonna lie, I did virtually zero research on Citizen during this recruiting cycle.

But after watching some tape and reading up, I would not be surprised if a year or two from now he is the bellcow putting up big time stats on a UM offense that is 55% run heavy.

His acceleration and vision at his size is very impressive.

Advertisement

if we offered to trade RB rooms w/ Ohio State they would laugh us off the face of the planet based on TreVeyon Henderson alone. the same is true for Texas and Bijan Robinson. our depth looks nice but having that no. 1 stud is more important than anything. you could prob throw Auburn and Tank Bigsby in there to be quite honest. and based on recruiting rankings Ohio State and Texas would look at our collection of 4 stars and say they have the same thing if not better.

Texas A&M has a very productive back in Devin Achane, a top 50 overall player in LJ Johnson behind him and signed a top 100 overall player (Le'Veon Moss) in this cycle to go along w/ Amari Daniels who averaged almost 6 ypc last year.

Clemson has a 5 star back who was productive for them last year and another high 4 star kid behind him, I honestly doubt they'd look upon our RB room w/ much if any jealousy.

i'm not even gonna touch on the idea that our current RBs are anywhere near Portis, McGahee, and Gore

let's actually see some real consistent performance from our backfield and then we can revisit the possibility of this

This is dead on. There's a difference between how "deep" a backfield is, and how "good" it is.

If we had 5 Cam Harris's on the roster - that's great depth. But it's just a solid backfield.

How good a backfield is will be defined by it's top 1-2 RB's (the guys actually getting the carries). For Miami to go from good to great, we need 1 or 2 guys to step up and separate themselves.

I'll put money on Rooster being the starter game 1 and in every game in which he is healthy. His carries should drop to 15-20, but he is a legit #1 back and he proved it last year. And he is durable, and is a weapon in the pass game.
The question is who will be #2 or #3.
Stop acting like we "settled" for Rooster as the #1 back last year. Almost every school would kill for him as a #1 back.

Anyone feel like Cody Brown might buck?

Currently, it looks like he is the 3rd big back and we have a stable of young runningbacks.

1*. Don Chaney
2. Thad Franklin
3. Cody Brown.

We definitely have the best RB core in the ACC, but who else has this kind of talent and depth? Maybe UGA, BAMA and the *s. That's about it I think.

This is the kind of quality and depth we had in 2001.

If Mirabol increases our OL to above average, maybe even good, we are going to monster the ACC on the ground.
Didn't we do this with Lingard and alll the others. Will we have a RB get drafted in the first 2 rds.

Advertisement
All I know is that the Coach and the new OC whoever he may be will make it an open competition.
May the best RB win. I am not going to count out anyone really.

Exactly. We have a lot of bodies and certainly have more depth than we've had in recent years, but no one has proven to be a star yet. Hopefully Mirabal and whoever the new OC is helps our run game. As good as Lashlee was as a passing coordinator, I thought a lot of his run plays were pedestrian (and predictable).

Anyone feel like Cody Brown might buck?

Currently, it looks like he is the 3rd big back and we have a stable of young runningbacks.

1*. Don Chaney
2. Thad Franklin
3. Cody Brown.
yes but I hope he competes and tries to be the #2 or even #3 before making that decision.

Advertisement
I'll put money on Rooster being the starter game 1 and in every game in which he is healthy. His carries should drop to 15-20, but he is a legit #1 back and he proved it last year. And he is durable, and is a weapon in the pass game.
The question is who will be #2 or #3.
Stop acting like we "settled" for Rooster as the #1 back last year. Almost every school would kill for him as a #1 back.

Knighton proved he’s a #1 elite talent. But I hope Chaney can get and stay healthy they would make the perfect 1a / 1b combo.

6'1 - 220 pounds as a 17/18 year old....

Maybe I'm just not in the loop yet, but this kid runs and looks like Joe Mixon!

Chaney is our Marshawn Lynch.

Citizen is our Joe Mixon.

If both of these kids are healthy and in the playbook, you may not see much of Rooster.

What a good problem to have.

1643932486306.png

RBs dont run alone... they require an OL thats made to run.... We are not even in the top half of the ACC with an OL made to run the ball.
Exactly...Also, first thing everybody talk about is skill like it's Pop Warner..can't run without a good OL ....

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back