Senior Night vs BC

Pack was 0-5 (0-4 from three) when went out. Not like he was contributing. He's right about nobody emerging as our "go to" guy.
Pack hasn't been right since he got hurt. That is not even debatable. Between his ankle and his two knees he is a mess.

Advertisement
Pack hasn't been right since he got hurt. That is not even debatable. Between his ankle and his two knees he is a mess.
That's a big part of it. Aside from injury, he's not the hardest player to take out of his game with a strong man defender. One reason he's developed the range he has.

That's a big part of it. Aside from injury, he's not the hardest player to take out of his game with a strong man defender. One reason he's developed the range he has.
I also think that trying to be pg hasn't helped him very much. His best bet to get into the NBA with his size is pg but his play making skills are below average.

Actually, he did not. He flagged it as a huge concern at the start of fall practice. He flat out said players were thinking more NBA than Miami.

He knew he had a problem when 8 guys in end of season interviews said they wanted to portal out. We lost 4 of them. And that does not include Miller and Wong who were declaring, although at the time it was not a 100% with Wong.

We are likely to lose 6 guys on the current roster. I think Watson and Casey are 100% gone. Robinson is likely. Omier will declare. If not in the NBA, he will make a lot of money in Europe. Pack could go and play overseas. I think Wooga returns. Cleveland who knows? If you portal once you could portal again. I think Benz stays. With George, who knows? He definitely could use another year. But if he gets a high enough evaluation he may bolt. Nwoko and Djobet should return.

I see a lot of movement, but also a lot of opportunity, too.
I think its already been mentioned that we can't portal our way to the top. But based on this scenario we're looking at something like 4 portal players plus the freshman just to break even. And we were short players this year.

We might need 5 portals players this round. Thats a lot of new guys and potentially a lot of nil cake.

Advertisement
Think many thought our '"go to" guy would be Wooga. Didn't happen. The leader on offense has got to be able to penetrate to the hoop, handle the ball well and create his own outside shot (Wong could do all of those things well enough last season).
Again, Wooga not the same since the injury. Larranaga nailed that when you get hurt the first time in your career you don't know how you will respond.

But yes, I think we will be looking for a go to guy.

I think its already been mentioned that we can't portal our way to the top. But based on this scenario we're looking at something like 4 portal players plus the freshman just to break even. And we were short players this year.

We might need 5 portals players this round. Thats a lot of new guys and potentially a lot of nil cake.
K State brought in 10 guys and made the Elite 8 so it can be done. We will see if Jim gets the support. Bethea had to be a big NIL deal.

K State brought in 10 guys and made the Elite 8 so it can be done. We will see if Jim gets the support. Bethea had to be a big NIL deal.
The money will be there. Larranaga doubled down on the roster this year (Cleveland was the only external addition) and it burned him. Think they'll go portal heavy and you'll see Bethea and Swartz in the rotation. They seem to like Nwoko quite a bit but jury is still out and don't believe he should be starting next year unless they are again unable to land bigs

The money will be there. Larranaga doubled down on the roster this year (Cleveland was the only external addition) and it burned him. Think they'll go portal heavy and you'll see Bethea and Swartz in the rotation. They seem to like Nwoko quite a bit but jury is still out and don't believe he should be starting next year unless they are again unable to land bigs
Nwoko is going to be very good next year. I can see 15 to 20 minutes per night. He was the bright spot last night.

Advertisement
Again, Wooga not the same since the injury. Larranaga nailed that when you get hurt the first time in your career you don't know how you will respond.

But yes, I think we will be looking for a go to guy.
Yep, the injuries throughout the team were brutal this season.

I don't think we had a "creator" on offense this time around. No one who particular "wanted" the ball when we were punched in the face during the course of a game or as the clock wound down in a tight game. Everyone on the perimeter was a catch and shoot guy.

Last season, when the opponent made their inevitable "run," Wong stepped up to settle the guys down, or change the momentum back to us. This year, we got slapped in the face and that just signaled the game was over.

Yep, the injuries throughout the team were brutal this season.

I don't think we had a "creator" on offense this time around. No one who particular "wanted" the ball when we were punched in the face during the course of a game or as the clock wound down in a tight game. Everyone on the perimeter was a catch and shoot guy.

Last season, when the opponent made their inevitable "run," Wong stepped up to settle the guys down, or change the momentum back to us. This year, we got slapped in the face and that just signaled the game was over.
Yes, Wong created shots and made them at a relatively hit rate when no shot was there.

That being said losing Miller was more impact full. He was terrific with the ball in his hand. He averaged only 1.3 turnovers per game. That is insane considering how much he touch the ball.

Last edited:
Yes, Wong created shots and made them at a relatively hit rate when no shot was there.

That being said losing losing Miller was more impact full. He was terrific with the ball in his hand. He averaged only 1.3 turnovers per game. That is insane considering how much he touch the ball.
You notice I didn't address how often Wong MADE the key shot, or whatever. He could be a bit lacking there. But ... he (and Miller as u say) had the confidence and leadership quality to put the team on their backs and produce more often that not. We missed that big time.

The money will be there.
(If you can share) care to elaborate? or at least indicate if this is from a reliable source or if you are just making a hopeful guess based on what? TY. I HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT but i have doubts, obviously.

Advertisement
Schematically, the biggest issue I've had with this year's team is the offense. We ran a vanilla offense. There are high schools out there running better plays. We've been very bland. That 3 man weave on the perimeter hoping to collapse the defense off of a mismatch just didn't work for the most part. So when that didn't work (which was often) we just chucked shots up from 20+ feet out. That falls on the coaching. X's and O's wise, this has been the ugliest our team has looked in a long time. Someone said it earlier, very reminiscent of Perry Clark days. Just brutal, to say the least. Moving forward, our coaches have to do a better job of installing plays that fit our players. If the pieces don't fit, the system will fail.

Nwoko is going to be very good next year. I can see 15 to 20 minutes per night. He was the bright spot last night.
Many were saying the same thing going into this year. Nwoko should've played more, particularly early on against the cupcakes. He had a lot of games where he either didn't play or played very little. No question in my mind he should've been averaging double digit minutes this season, not next. In this day and age, you can't do that unless you're willing to lose that player at the end of the season. Too many options out there with the NIL and transfer portal for us to be burying young players on the bench.

Larranaga didn't double down on the roster. He tried to add pieces thru the portal but failed. They've got to get ahead of things this year. Can't wait til guys declare for the portal before making contact. They should be putting feelers out there since December. Once April rolls around it's going to be tough to get guys to come to Coral Gables. By then, it's probably going to be too late.

Advertisement
Larranaga didn't double down on the roster. He tried to add pieces thru the portal but failed. They've got to get ahead of things this year. Can't wait til guys declare for the portal before making contact. They should be putting feelers out there since December. Once April rolls around it's going to be tough to get guys to come to Coral Gables. By then, it's probably going to be too late.
Only advantage is we aren't making post season so no excuse not to get a jump on the portal. Plus, we will know who is departing.

Advertisement
Back