Seems like everybody hates the possible candidates

Otowncane

5th year sophomore
Premium
Most want Butch, me too but there no guarantee he will be a winner. No guarantee that lightning strikes twice. He has been away for a bit, he is older, different time and circumstances. Taking off the orange and green glasses, if he is so good why in the heck is his name not coming up elsewhere now or for the past few years. It can't all be the North Carolina scandal that he allegedly has been cleared. He would come cheap why the no love from other schools and Miami? The likelihood he's not getting hired. We all better find a coach we like because all I read is how everyone else sucks. This coming from the peanut gallery who knows jack chit- me included. Each has pro's and con's.

Advertisement
Most want Butch, me too but there no guarantee he will be a winner. No guarantee that lightning strikes twice. He has been away for a bit, he is older, different time and circumstances. Taking off the orange and green glasses, if he is so good why in the heck is his name not coming up elsewhere now or for the past few years. It can't all be the North Carolina scandal that he allegedly has been cleared. He would come cheap why the no love from other schools and Miami? The likelihood he's not getting hired. We all better find a coach we like because all I read is how everyone else sucks. This coming from the peanut gallery who knows jack chit- me included. Each has pro's and con's.

***** that crap. GIVE ME BUTCH OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!

NO BUTCH - NO PEACE!!!

Advertisement
My thought on Butch would be, he has had chances to coach elsewhere but knew golden was going to be fired and WANTS the UM job.
He missed his chance while at UNC and Golden got the job

Of course each candidate has their pros and cons as they do in every hire for every position. The Miami job requires a specific amount of skill sets that in some ways are more important than the actual coaching aspect of the job. In your example of Butch, he was not the greatest game day coach but because he was skilled in understanding the culture that attracted the recruits to come to Miami his weakness of game day coaching was masked by the amount of talent he had on his roster. He also based his system around the kids and their strengths. All of that led to the success that he had.

Al Golden on the other hand refused to embrace the South Florida culture and forced a system down kids throats that they didn't fit in to. High School coaches didn't sign off on their top recruits being put into that system and they went elsewhere. The South Florida coaches and kids also didn't buy into their Golden recruiting pitch as he never quite understood how to win people in South Florida over.

I personally am hoping we do hire Butch and anticipate that he fails miserably and watch the complete and total meltdown on here.

Honestly the board would go on suicide watch if that happens.

Butch Butch Butch! Splat....WTF?!?! How can this be?!?! Burn the program down?!?! We've made a terrible mistake?!?! Oh man it would be epic.

I personally am hoping we do hire Butch and anticipate that he fails miserably and watch the complete and total meltdown on here.

Butch Butch Butch! Splat....WTF?!?! How can this be?!?! Burn the program down?!?! We've made a terrible mistake?!?! Oh man it would be epic.

you're a loser

Advertisement

you're a loser

Hey I'm not the one asking for a coach who hasn't coached since 2010.
Bailed on the program for the Cleveland Browns first chance he got
And has won more than 10 games only 1 time at the college level and that was 15 years ago.

So you want the program to fail so you can have some internet schadenfreude?

Class act.

My thought on Butch would be, he has had chances to coach elsewhere but knew golden was going to be fired and WANTS the UM job.
He missed his chance while at UNC and Golden got the job

I think without Golden, there would be no chance at Butch.

Golden was the necessary evil we needed to show the BOT that we can't run a program playing scared. We need to embrace what makes this area and this University great. Enough with the choir boy nonsense.

Don't be scared to be great.

Advertisement
butch will win with the way he recruits and coaches d, dwinstitles and he will easily make the acc title yearly once his plan is set. everyone thinks next year but i dont think like that u gotta build it with non goldenites..

What a strange post, for quite a few reasons.

Advertisement

lmao thats what i said

lmao thats what i said

Put that post in the archives so that **** can't come back in here and claim that he was on board with butch.

you're a loser

Hey I'm not the one asking for a coach who hasn't coached since 2010.
Bailed on the program for the Cleveland Browns first chance he got
And has won more than 10 games only 1 time at the college level and that was 15 years ago.

This is why he left dumbass....

At one time Butch Davis was the hottest name in coaching. It was 2001. He had done all the heavy lifting to rebuild a Miami program that had been in ravaged by sanctions. Stocked it with more talent than any program in the history of college football. His 2000 Canes squad finished 11-1 and was ranked No. 2. The next year's team's team would be even better, a group that would live up to the billing as the best college team of all time. But Davis didn't stick around to coach it. Instead, a few weeks before signing day, he bolted to the NFL to take over the Cleveland Browns.

The Browns went 7-9 his debut season and 9-7 in his second year, making the AFC Playoffs. Two seasons later, though, after compiling a 24-35 record, Davis was out in Cleveland. His Miami team ended up winning a BCS national title and playing for another. Davis' Miami program was producing a jaw-dropping amount of first-round picks. Twenty-two of them, ranging from Ray Lewis to Edgerrin James to Ed Reed to Andre Johnson. Larry Coker, Davis' old assistant, did a nice job taking over in the short term, winning his first 24 games at Miami, but eventually the program began to backslide. Four seasons after Davis left, Miami went from finishing No. 5 in the Coaches Poll to No. 11 and then a year later, the Canes finished No. 18, and then unranked. How many titles might Miami had won if Davis had stayed? Both he and Canes fans are curious.

And, yes, he says he regrets leaving Miami.

"Very much so. I would've loved to have stayed for 30 years at Miami," he said. "We couldn't get it worked out from a contractual standpoint and it had nothing to do with money, but that's a whole different story. They win it the next year. They played for it the year after that. Everything was going spectacularly after that. How many would we have won? I wish I had stayed another 10 years to find out how many."

Davis' explanation for what was behind his departure from UM: "Ten days before we played BC [Boston College] in the last game of the season, we had completed 97 percent of the contract. It had taken us three hours to agree to the money. That was done. I was probably one of the lowest-paid [I-A] head coaches when I took that job [in 1995] and then after seven years, they were paying me $1 million. The stumbling block we could never get over was, if they decided to do what North Carolina did [by just suddenly firing him] they were only going to pay me 20 percent of the money, but because [Miami] had been burned by Howard [Schnellenberger] leaving and Jimmy leaving and Dennis [Erickson] leaving, so if I had ever left I had to pay them 80 percent.

"I said, 'Guys that isn't fair. I can't pay you 80 and you're only gonna pay me 20. If you wake up and say, 'I don't like redhead coaches,' I'm gone. Let's either make it 80-80, 20-20 or 50-50.' We battled over 20-80 for almost two months. I turned the Cleveland Browns job down. I turned down two other jobs. Well, lo and behold, the last home visit I made I'm sitting in Antrel Rolle's living room and his mom and dad said, 'Coach, are you gonna be here?' I said, 'Antrel, I will be the head coach at the University of Miami,' and I believed in all my heart I was going to be. Then we go home and four or five days later we still can't get the contract done. [Cleveland president] Carmen Policy calls and says, 'Would you reconsider?'

"I talked it over with my wife. You live a little bit in fear. I thought, 'Well, today they love me, but in 1997 they were flying a plane over the stadium, 'Get Rid of Butch Davis!' It didn't take long to keep reminding yourself that this 80-20 stuff wasn't fair. We made one more stab and called [Miami AD] Paul Dee and he went to the trustees and asked them to make it fair. Finally, we made the change. I wished I hadn't have, but we did."

It's not strange. What on earth makes people think that we will be magically transported back to 2000 if we hire Butch?

Nobody here knows truly if it will work. They don't, and yet we see "No Butch No Peace" "Only Butch" stupidity on here. So my thoughts using my actual brain are...if we do get Butch it probably won't work out based on just the way things are and all the factors. It's not a smart hire. It's an impulse nostalgia hire, and that's the wrong reason to hire him.

Advertisement
Back