Seems Holley (DT) is gone

These type of things happen on every team, good teams and bad teams.

As a matter of fact, disirregardless of any success, or lack thereof, we are well below average compared to other teams in terms of these types of negative events, whether it’s player criminality, player transfers, or players jumping into the portal.

But we have porsters that are just champing at the bit waiting to to paint these uncommon events at Miami as somehow portents of doom.

The Ides of March are upon us, Holley no longer gyrating on the sidelines.

Clutch your pearls, ladies.

"Disirregardless?" I would challenge the living twatlips out of that in Scrabble.

I would accept "porster" though. 😛

Advertisement
Actually I've been anxious to see what Franklin and Brown bring to the RB spot. Cam will be missed but not near the disaster many here seem to expect. Cody Brown just might be a surprise now that he will get more looks.

603294AE-DA43-4DE6-828A-83B04B3402AB.gif

I’m not sure how any of these three cases, Avante, Cam, or Holley is bad optics.

Avante got himself in serious legal trouble and the team dismissed him. The appropriate response. The bad optics would be is he had a history of violent behavior and the team overlooked it.

Cam did not do what he needed in order to meet academic requirements. All on Cam.

Holley appears to have not worked out, so he’s transferring. So what?

Three recruits, all three washed out before doing anything of use. How can that be anything but bad optics?

As you said yourself, two of them (Avantae and Holley) probably should not have been takes, one because of issues in his past, the other because he doesn't belong at the P5 level. The third was a known academic issue, and the program wasn't able to keep him eligible. That can only happen for one of two reasons, 1 the program doesn't have the resources and support necessary to help the player, or 2 the player just DGAF and no amount of help was going to keep him eligible, in which case we failed on our evaluation of the risk of taking him.

Manny is getting paid millions of dollars per year to manage this football team and yet nothing that ever goes wrong within his purview seems to be something he should be accountable for. It's ridiculous, the lengths that people will go to in order to make excuses and deflect accountability.

If anyone thinks the Gata isn't going to use these stories to negative recruit...

Advertisement

As a matter of fact, disirregardless of any success, or lack thereof, we are well below average compared to other teams in terms of these types of negative events, whether it’s player criminality, player transfers, or players jumping into the portal.

But we have porsters that are just champing at the bit waiting to to paint these uncommon events at Miami as somehow portents of doom.

No doubt these types of “events” are NOT exclusive to the U. We just don’t hear or read about other teams “events” because we don’t follow any other team (well, most of us don’t).

Three recruits, all three washed out before doing anything of use. How can that be anything but bad optics?

As you said yourself, two of them (Avantae and Holley) probably should not have been takes, one because of issues in his past, the other because he doesn't belong at the P5 level. The third was a known academic issue, and the program wasn't able to keep him eligible. That can only happen for one of two reasons, 1 the program doesn't have the resources and support necessary to help the player, or 2 the player just DGAF and no amount of help was going to keep him eligible, in which case we failed on our evaluation of the risk of taking him.

Manny is getting paid millions of dollars per year to manage this football team and yet nothing that ever goes wrong within his purview seems to be something he should be accountable for. It's ridiculous, the lengths that people will go to in order to make excuses and deflect accountability.

If anyone thinks the Gata isn't going to use these stories to negative recruit...
Do you really think this is exclusive to the U? I have no doubt **** like this happens at every program across the country.

Our rivals will use ANYTHING to negative recruit against us. It’s the nature of the beast.

Wait, is that why we can't seem to get to 85 scholarship players if our lives depended on it? Because of our exceptionally low washout rate?

Advertisement
Do you really think this is exclusive to the U? I have no doubt **** like this happens at every program across the country.

Our rivals will use ANYTHING to negative recruit against us. It’s the nature of the beast.

C'mon man. You know me better than that.

"Exclusive to the U"? Absolutely not. Do we have a history of making bad evaluations, taking kids we shouldn't, and ending up with a depleted roster due do washouts and transfers at a higher rate than successful programs? Absolutely. The reason we can't seem to fill the roster isn't because we have less of a problem with this than Clemson and Baga and O$U, it's because we have it happen to us at a higher rate.

And the argument that it's got nothing to do with the coaches and they shouldn't have any accountability for these sorts of issues is moot at the end of the day anyway. It's not like we get compensatory added scholarships or initial counters when guys wash out. These sorts of things damage the program and damage our chances for success, no matter which way you look at it. That's simply not debatable. You simply can't throw away 5+ scholarships every cycle on busts and expect to compete. It's that simple if one takes off the colored glasses.

our model is get transfers and get one year from each of them. That’s not a model for consistent success.

Why not?

Look at Rousseau, homegrown and barring Covid we’d only have gotten two good years.

You have to recruit but if we can consistently get one or two years out of nfl caliber talent through the portal we should continue to.

Wait, is that why we can't seem to get to 85 scholarship players if our lives depended on it? Because of our exceptionally low washout rate?

I wish you worked for me. I would take exceptional pleasure in firing you.

Edit: I’d give you a **** of a golden parachute so no worries.

Last edited:
Advertisement
His dancing moves were some of the highlights of the defense last season. Lighten up Francis.
Actually his dancing was more impactful and interesting in 2019. He would often disappear as a dancing force in 2020. He took too many plays, indeed two many series off in 2020. No NFL future, not even free agent camp. Pros won’t go for that.

Advertisement

"Exclusive to the U"? Absolutely not. Do we have a history of making bad evaluations, taking kids we shouldn't, and ending up with a depleted roster due do washouts and transfers at a higher rate than successful programs? Absolutely. The reason we can't seem to fill the roster isn't because we have less of a problem with this than Clemson and Baga and O$U, it's because we have it happen to us at a higher rate.

And the argument that it's got nothing to do with the coaches and they shouldn't have any accountability for these sorts of issues is moot at the end of the day anyway. It's not like we get compensatory added scholarships or initial counters when guys wash out. These sorts of things damage the program and damage our chances for success, no matter which way you look at it. That's simply not debatable. You simply can't throw away 5+ scholarships every cycle on busts and expect to compete. It's that simple if one takes off the colored glasses.
Sure it’s not a good look - especially to us Canes. But my point stands that I have no doubt this happens in programs across the country. Us Canes just don’t hear or read about it because we don’t pay that much attention to any other program. ****, it’s all I can do to keep up with our Canes! Lol

It has everything to do with the coaches - and the assembled staff. Not making excuses, but we don’t have virtually unlimited resources like Baga, Clemp$on, UGA, Ohio Taint, and several others to have ex-head coaches as analysts. It’s no secret we’ve missed on many blue chippers because the aforementioned beat us to the punch and can offer “stuff” we can’t.

What we can do, and have to do, is make the most of the kids we do get. That’s been lacking in the past. With the staff Manny has now assembled, that will hopefully get better.

I think you're clearly overreacting to something and now are also offering opinions like they're facts. Clemson dismissed a starting CB because of off the field issues. UGA took him, the charges got dropped and now they're gonna see him on the opposite side in the season opener. A 5-star RB for them spent a semester there and transferred to UF. A starting LB transferred to LSU. Those are just off the top of my head. Thats three guys who "washed" out.

Miami took in three transfers that are slated to start week 1 and a 4th that may get a starting role next year. That doesn't even take in to account the top 15 running back that signed late because he got out of his letter of intent from Tennessee. Three guys who may have started one game between them are gone. Two of them not confirmed as of yet. Did we come out ahead in the attrition game? I'd say so. Thats just college football.

I'm interested in the supposed bad optics you're concerned about. Avantae Williams got dismissed for what if true is a horrendous crime and it lasted less than 24 hours in the Miami Hurricanes news cycle. It isn't on the front page of the two major team sites. He'll never be mentioned in association with Miami unless we're talking about court proceedings down the line or if he transfers. Even then Miami will be at a minimum talked about as taking "swift necessary action".

Last edited:
True, but I’m saying from the rash of bad press over the last 2 days doesn’t help. At least from a recruiting standpoint. I’m sure there will be damage control by the coaches to parents but the current environment of the team can be questioned by outsiders who don’t have access to the team in that capacity.
LSU is under investigation for not properly handling sexual assault allegations. They had to replace multiple defensive staff members because of the disasters Orgeron hired last cycle. They hired Blake Baker this year. None of that is hurting them in any real obvious way. Kids don't care. Losing to UCLA early in the year would do more damage to recruiting than any of those other things.

I’m not sure how any of these three cases, Avante, Cam, or Holley is bad optics.

Avante got himself in serious legal trouble and the team dismissed him. The appropriate response. The bad optics would be is he had a history of violent behavior and the team overlooked it.

Cam did not do what he needed in order to meet academic requirements. All on Cam.

Holley appears to have not worked out, so he’s transferring. So what?
Amen!

Advertisement
Back