"See a little, see a lot. See a lot, see nothing..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

umhurricane2511

Always Faithful
Nick Saban talked about this on Gameday today. Honestly, I feel like this has been a huge problem for our team (defense especially).

They get too concerned with everything that's going on around them (i.e. what every one is supposed to be doing).

They need to just have sole focus on THEIR job and taking care of THEIR assignment. This would not only simplify things, but also eliminate some of the "freelancing" we're seeing. One can even go a little further as to say it needs to get monotonous and/or boring, meaning they just do the same reads/reacts on every play. Create a sort of tunnel-vision.

Keep it simple, do YOUR job. Stay focused.

Advertisement
Good post, great quote.

Ray Ray is the biggest culprit. Frustrating, too, because he's way smarter than a lot of people realize.

And this all goes back to the freelancing that Golden has been harping on since he got here. Lack of standout talent aside, this defense could at least be serviceable, if players simply played their assignments.

I saw that segment as well. I stated that this was exactly the type of coaching/teaching that our program has been lacking for the last decade. Just line up and focus on beating your man one on one. Quit worrying about all the other ****.

Ray Ray is not the only one by any stretch. Some other things that are troubling are the players saying they would rather play on the road than at home. Making remarks to the lack of a crowd at the games. Why in the **** are they letting (in my eyes irrelevant) **** like that get to them... Focus on winning and your responsibilities on the field. The rest will take care of itself. That is some weak mental horse ****. To me there still seems to be some form of undermining cancer left on the team. It will be interesting to see what is purged at the end of the season...

Advertisement
Ray Ray might not be the only one, but his mistakes are the most glaring. He personally played a role in 2 of UVA's long TDs last week.

Ray Ray might not be the only one, but his mistakes are the most glaring. He personally played a role in 2 of UVA's long TDs last week.

Trust me... I think he is one of the many problems on the defensive side of the ball. If I had my way, he would play only in the box as a hybrid. He would either blitz or cover the TE/RB man to man every play. The moment he played soft as butter, his backside would be on the sideline. I hate to say it he needs to be making a living closer to the line. In my eyes, we need to spend the rest of the year sending five or six every play (or more on some occasions). Ray Ray would also be on every coverage team. He can run but you need to take the thinking/reaction part of the game out. To me, he reminds me of Taylor Mays on the field. As TM was asked to play more center field, he was exposed to not having the feel for the game to read and react. Not saying he would not be able to do it eventually but he will probably not take the time to learn this until an NFL pay check is on the line. I wonder if he realizes the scouts do talk to the coaches about what is showing up in the game film...

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back