Second chances for south florida recruits?

i can understand a guy like Kevin Riley flipping to bama cause he is from Tuscaloosa. if he got in the transfer portal i take him in a hearbeat. but taking back guys like shemar stewart, brandon innis, hykeem williams.

These kids told us to take a hike. anyone want them back?

As Marcellus Wallace said, "Thats just pride talking." Don't catch feelings over a 17-18 year old kid acting unprofessionally when getting recruited.

Advertisement
You can guarantee all the coaches called Smith after the fact and congratulated and wished him well. Why? Because you keep those relationships in tact. So no, the coaches do not write off players.

I wouldn’t penalize a 20 year old grown man for a decision he was more than likely coerced into in some way shape or form at age 17. Especially because most kids who leave Miami for somewhere else get home sick af by age 19-20. Miami not for everybody but if you’ve got 305 in your veins it’s hard to stay away for a prolonged period of time.

i can understand a guy like Kevin Riley flipping to bama cause he is from Tuscaloosa. if he got in the transfer portal i take him in a hearbeat. but taking back guys like shemar stewart, brandon innis, hykeem williams.

Riley situation he couldn't say no. But now his fam outta jail he should portal to the U next season

I was reading a OSU reddit thread about Smith and it was interesting how critical the fans are of Ryan Day. A lot of Buckeye fans were saying that if Day loses again to Michigan next season and then gets to playoffs and loses again (like they inevitably do), then Day needs to go. Their AD stated he is retiring next season. Not totally out of the realm of possibility that the next AD would move on from Day if he loses again and is 1-3 vs Michigan. I hope the staff stays in contact with J. Smith. He's probably not going to get a lot of burn in his freshman year at OSU. If we show a top offense and there is a coaching change at OSU, maybe he'd be interested in going home.

Advertisement
are we willing to take second chances on local area kids that spurned us on signing day?

Kids like Innis or now JSmith?
I know they have a lot of talent and i know we could use them however what is the breaking point?
Manny Diaz did say once that an offer from UM needs to mean something. He wasn't the best recruiter but Mario certainly is and it does need to mean something.

We now have great facilities, and NFL stadium, a good HC and lots of NIL money.

At what point do we draw a line in the sand that if you are from Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and you don't sign here then we just don't want you back (assuming we really wanted you in the first place)

I'm asking this because there will always be kids that leverage their star status to get free room and board and now money elsewhere only to have Miami as the backup plan when they get homesick. Like Mario once said, if your not happy come pick up your kid. Well if your kid doesn't pick us then go pound sand regardless of how many stars he has.

If we don't stand up now then the JSmith scenario will continue to happen in the future
Don't hold grudges. Kids make mistakes. If a kid wants to come and checks the boxes you take him.

You can guarantee all the coaches called Smith after the fact and congratulated and wished him well. Why? Because you keep those relationships in tact. So no, the coaches do not write off players.
This. No hard feelings. Just a business decision. Take him here in a heartbeat.

Two things for me:

1. It depends on the relations the player had with the coaches during his recruitment. You really can’t hold a grudge over an 18 year old kid who’s actually looking for the best situation for himself when it come to NIL (School A pays more than Miami), or for the best path to get to the NFL (School A has a more established pipeline for that position group vs Miami). If the kid is respectful and communicates why he’s made his decision to the staff, the kid is still good in my book.

2. In an unforeseen way, I actually believe the more kids you let transfer in who are originally from the Tri County area actually strengthens your position to kids in the coming recruiting classes. You can tell them “Hey, all of these current players thought going somewhere else was the right thing to do but they all eventually came back home because we were the best place in the end. Look how well they are playing here and making a difference.”

Advertisement
After they sign somewhere else, I’d treat them no different than anyone else in the portal. Only sign if they are an upgrade and only if they are the best that you can get at that time. Go after the best in the portal without giving deference to local players. Different for the portal vs high school.

Only exception is if the screwed up the relationship with the coaches in some way. If disrespectful, outright misleading or lying instead of a change of mind. If so, move on.

If they’ve done nothing at their school since signing, I’d be hesitant to go after them. At that point high school results need to be significantly discounted. Most of the time there is a reason that they are doing nothing (the same as any player signed here).

Case-by-case.

For example,Cormani no-showed for a staff visit (my understanding) without consideration, and we all know what a fiasco his recruitment turned into. Highly unlikely he ever wears the orange & green.

Anther CB/S in last year's class was a high school junior who reclassified and ultimately spurned us as a lovesick 16 year old who followed his girlfriend to ECU. I'd imagine an exception could be made in that case.

This is from a Manny Navarro tweet: "So, it’s my understanding Jeremiah Smith is going to Ohio State. It’s where he wanted to go all along. His NIL rep wanted to make sure everything that needed to go through Ohio State’s collective was signed."

If true the JS never wanted to come here and i'm fine with that. But i don't want that guy here ever again. I'm tired of taking guys that DON'T want to be here. If his heart was a Buckeye it will always be a Buckeye and never a Cane!

This wan't about Mario, UM, NIL money, playing time, QB, or anything else. He just didnt' want to be here. Let's roll with the guys that do...

Best player available who fits you culture. If they’re truly elite then you take a hard look at them even if they don’t fit your culture.

Innis and Brooks, two recent 5 stars from So Fl who went elsewhere, didn’t demonstrate they were elite in college. They may not be Ladson but they’re also not Amari Cooper. So no need to pursue them if/when they hit the portal.
Innis has been in college for a semester lol.
Brooks has been a productive player.
We pursue a whole lot of filler in the portal under mario.. but Innis isnt in portal and jacorey jumped in not considering us so we have that.

Advertisement
Innis has been in college for a semester lol.
Brooks has been a productive player.
We pursue a whole lot of filler in the portal under mario.. but Innis isnt in portal and jacorey jumped in not considering us so we have that.

Come on now, Geta, you're just being argumentative here. Why are you disagreeing with me saying "Innis and Brooks, two recent 5 stars from So Fl who went elsewhere, didn’t demonstrate they were elite in college. They may not be Ladson but they’re also not Amari Cooper"

Did they demonstrate they were elite in college? Did they produce like Amari did straight out of high school?

From Wikipedia: "As a freshman at Alabama, Cooper played in all 14 games, including starts in the final nine games. He led the team with 59 receptions for 1,000 yards and 11 touchdowns"

As I wrote, I'm very clearly not saying they're like Ladson. We don't know how much better because they didn't play enough, fair? My point really was about who we go after in the portal. I personally want to focus our portal NIL money and spots on a proven WR1 out of the portal, a Rambo at a minimum. We already have 6 young WR commits from 2023 + 2024 to develop.

Mario himself has said something to the effect of how it's also important to finish second in this era if a kid doesn't choose you initially. Have to keep improving the roster every way you can.

If you notice, SFla kids aren’t tossing our hats and carrying on with disrespect during NSD anymore….hardly ever see it targeted towards us and there’s a reason for it.

They know that should they ever want to transfer and come play for Mario, they haven’t burned that bridge. Right player in position of need and good culture fit is a take all day long and twice on Sundays.

Advertisement
are we willing to take second chances on local area kids that spurned us on signing day?

Kids like Innis or now JSmith?
I know they have a lot of talent and i know we could use them however what is the breaking point?
Manny Diaz did say once that an offer from UM needs to mean something. He wasn't the best recruiter but Mario certainly is and it does need to mean something.

We now have great facilities, and NFL stadium, a good HC and lots of NIL money.

At what point do we draw a line in the sand that if you are from Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and you don't sign here then we just don't want you back (assuming we really wanted you in the first place)

I'm asking this because there will always be kids that leverage their star status to get free room and board and now money elsewhere only to have Miami as the backup plan when they get homesick. Like Mario once said, if your not happy come pick up your kid. Well if your kid doesn't pick us then go pound sand regardless of how many stars he has.

If we don't stand up now then the JSmith scenario will continue to happen in the future
I think this Miami recruits a certain way. There's a lot of integrity in Mario, he's 100% honest. If he wants you to be a Hurricane, he's gonna come at you with his best shot. I think if you reciprocate that integrity with Mario, you are much more likely to get a "second chance." If not, seek shelter elsewhere.

Come on now, Geta, you're just being argumentative here. Why are you disagreeing with me saying "Innis and Brooks, two recent 5 stars from So Fl who went elsewhere, didn’t demonstrate they were elite in college. They may not be Ladson but they’re also not Amari Cooper"

Did they demonstrate they were elite in college? Did they produce like Amari did straight out of high school?

From Wikipedia: "As a freshman at Alabama, Cooper played in all 14 games, including starts in the final nine games. He led the team with 59 receptions for 1,000 yards and 11 touchdowns"

As I wrote, I'm very clearly not saying they're like Ladson. We don't know how much better because they didn't play enough, fair? My point really was about who we go after in the portal. I personally want to focus our portal NIL money and spots on a proven WR1 out of the portal, a Rambo at a minimum. We already have 6 young WR commits from 2023 + 2024 to develop.
Im just disagreeing about the part about innis. He is a rs freshnan we have no clue what he is as he played behind some guys.

In that case popo aguirre and company arent elite.

Im with you on what we would have to grab out the portal fully agreed

Wish people would stop bringing him up. He hasn’t done anything in his 2 years there, and he isn’t gonna do anything worthwhile there next season.

Let him and his weird handler live in the twin size bed that they made.

Advertisement
Back