Second chances for south florida recruits?

citizenkane

Redshirt Freshman
are we willing to take second chances on local area kids that spurned us on signing day?

Kids like Innis or now JSmith?
I know they have a lot of talent and i know we could use them however what is the breaking point?
Manny Diaz did say once that an offer from UM needs to mean something. He wasn't the best recruiter but Mario certainly is and it does need to mean something.

We now have great facilities, and NFL stadium, a good HC and lots of NIL money.

At what point do we draw a line in the sand that if you are from Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and you don't sign here then we just don't want you back (assuming we really wanted you in the first place)

I'm asking this because there will always be kids that leverage their star status to get free room and board and now money elsewhere only to have Miami as the backup plan when they get homesick. Like Mario once said, if your not happy come pick up your kid. Well if your kid doesn't pick us then go pound sand regardless of how many stars he has.

If we don't stand up now then the JSmith scenario will continue to happen in the future

Advertisement
Best player available who fits you culture. If they’re truly elite then you take a hard look at them even if they don’t fit your culture.

Innis and Brooks, two recent 5 stars from So Fl who went elsewhere, didn’t demonstrate they were elite in college. They may not be Ladson but they’re also not Amari Cooper. So no need to pursue them if/when they hit the portal.

BTW, i'm not saying i have the right answer. All i'm saying is that if you get left at the altar by your local recruits and then take them back in the transfer portal then be prepared to get left at the altar more often. If Mario and co is okay with that then so am i but that's what is likely to happen.

Advertisement
i can understand a guy like Kevin Riley flipping to bama cause he is from Tuscaloosa. if he got in the transfer portal i take him in a hearbeat. but taking back guys like shemar stewart, brandon innis, hykeem williams.

These kids told us to take a hike. anyone want them back?

I dont believe in the premise. Turning down talent just because you were snubbed the year before is just an exercise in ego/pride.

In situatuions like these Ego/pride gets guys in coaching fired. Like Mario said last year, sucks to lose a kid but maybe we came in second out of HS and we will have a chance to get them if they hit the portal in a year or two. Never burn bridges, and that goes for the kids too. How many big name kids have already transfered before being on campus for a full year. I know of at least two 5* qbs so far (dante moore and malachi nelson).

Are there exceptions? Yes, if the kid clowned our school or disrespected the coaches/team then by all means say no when they want to come back home.

But say Hykeem Williams or Brandon Innis who gave our coaches props and respect even during their commitments to another school. If they want to come home, we should throw them a welcome back party.

And while some kids obviously are bag chasing and using the portal as a fallback. I would say most kids arent planning on going somewhere to just leave the next year. Most think they made the best decision and found out they were wrong, no ill intent just a bad decision. Cant fault them for that.

BTW, i'm not saying i have the right answer. All i'm saying is that if you get left at the altar by your local recruits and then take them back in the transfer portal then be prepared to get left at the altar more often. If Mario and co is okay with that then so am i but that's what is likely to happen.

Not necessarily true.
If a player in the portal is a potential upgrade in talent and attitude, you take him regardless if he was a local player who spurned the good guys out of high school.
The 1983 team had quite a few soFla kids who initially went to other schools out of hs. You also had Cleveland Gary who was at UGA before UM.
If you take them in, use them well and, most importantly, win a bunch of games, you won't have to worry about talent leaving town.

Advertisement
how could I forget cormani McLain? Even though he’s not south Florida per se he’s a 5 star and literally left us with cake in our face. Who wants him back?

I wouldn’t turn away all kids. Some south Florida kids just want to leave and see the rest of the country. Most of these kids live on the other side of the railroad tracks and have never been outside of Florida

Think its a combination of things for me.

How did recruit go about his initial recruitment?
Was there crazy theatrics? Most likely Pass, unless crazy circulmstances exist and kid is remoreseful.
Was the kid Respectful during his initial recruitment? Yes - Qualifies for next eval step
Does the kid‘s talent improve Miami? Yes, take No? Thanks but no thanks.

The reality is that, right now, your roster is only your roster for a year at a time. So yeah, you take a look at your options and get the best guys available, even if we finished second the year before.

The real thing, though, is that lately most of the high profile south Florida diva recruitments have not resulted in dominant players…especially when they go out of state.

Advertisement
i can understand a guy like Kevin Riley flipping to bama cause he is from Tuscaloosa. if he got in the transfer portal i take him in a hearbeat. but taking back guys like shemar stewart, brandon innis, hykeem williams.

These kids told us to take a hike. anyone want them back?
Such weird logic.

OOS kids can not only get a pass for not signing here but are allowed to flip on NSD.. but Florida prospects who've never committed here only have once chance. No excuses. No 2nd chances. F your couch, kid.

You probably want to revisit this. JMO

I will take talented kids that want to come back as long as they didn’t **** on you on the way out. Gotta draw the line at cuckery

Advertisement
The staff has lists of guys they finished 2nd with and would actively recruit them back here if they enter the portal. Only fans get hurt like an ex girlfriend when a kid signs somewhere else.

Obviously every case is different but nobody is just burning bridges with every single guy who doesn't sign right out of high school. We have some very solid players currently on the roster who went elsewhere but wanted to transfer back home.

I think this concept is working to clean up recruiting a bit. You see a lot less kids playing the hat game and other nonsense on social media. The portal means they have to keep all options open regardless of where they initially sign.

Advertisement
Back