SEC Appears Set to Move to 9 Conference Games & No Divisions

Doesn’t the new B1G TV deal give ND more games with them?
I haven't seen anything out there that requires ND to play any games against the Big 10. The only thing I found is ND is spinning it that having the Big 10 on NBC is a good thing for ND as it will allow NBC to promote ND games on the noon NBC Big 10 game. However, NBC will have a Saturday night Big 10 game each week so not sure how that is a good thing for ND.

Advertisement
Tier 2 in regards to options. We aren't the SECs first choice. Miami joining the conference hurts too many other schools, especially ones that depend on South Florida talent.
Although, one could argue that Miami is a Tier 1 in the SEC's eyes if they want to keep the Big 10 out of Florida.

Although, one could argue that Miami is a Tier 1 in the SEC's eyes if they want to keep the Big 10 out of Florida.
They may think that that's a risk they are willing to take, because most south Florida kids aren't interested in playing up north. That said, Miami joins the SEC, a ton of schools lose their primary pitch to kids here.

Tier 2 in regards to options. We aren't the SECs first choice. Miami joining the conference hurts too many other schools, especially ones that depend on South Florida talent.
Agree on that. You had only mentioned it being due to Miami lacking that southern feel.

The Miami to SEC thing is fan led mental *********ion. Is it possible? Yes, but the SEC probably sees Miami as a second tier. The B1G on the other hand, would love to have another eastern school, in a hot recruiting area join their configuration. Miami to the B1G makes sense, especially seeing that they've already added the West Coast Miami in Southern Cal.
If I’m a shot caller from the B1G, I’m on the phone right now with Miami representatives…. and not hanging up till there’s a deal made! My goal would be to surround the SEC footprint. Miami to the SEC, would basically throw a wrench into the recruiting plans for a good deal of SEC Schools.

Advertisement
I suspect that the B1G is looking at tv sets. It has zero in the nation's 3 most populous state. Miami fixes that. It has zero tvs in Georgia and Tech fixes that. It has zero in NC the nation's second most rapid growth area. UNC fixes that. It has zero in Texas and Baylor fixes that assuming ND is stubborn and not willing to give Chicago. More TV viewers equals more money. Let the SEC remain the Confederate conference.

I think the only way we get in the SEC is if the SEC wants to block the B1G from getting into the state. I would think the B1G would want in bad so hopefully it comes to this and we get into one of them.

Advertisement
Agree on that. You had only mentioned it being due to Miami lacking that southern feel.
If folks complained about the ACC treating Miami as the red headed step child, it'll be 10x worse in the SEC and that inbred good old boy network of schools. Personally I'd prefer Miami to the BIG, but I'm rolling with what Cribby and Boarcane said about Miami to the SEC **** near being a done until unless something drastically changes.

Advertisement
Pretty wild. I’m on the site everyday & haven’t seen that mentioned once or anything close to it.
Then you have missed the comments by a couple of the major insiders. It was mentioned quite some time ago that "Clemson and Miami are joined at the hip in strategizing to get out of the ACC ... and the SEC appears to be the likely destination". That comment, in similar words, was made by two of the "insiders" on the board. Then you have Dan Patrick ... who is very wired into what alternative scenarios the networks and conference leaders are "evaluating".

Dan clearly stated 2-3 weeks ago that the Big 10 was working on a new media deal ... THAT COULD POSSIBLY INCLUDE PARTICIPATION BY ND ... and it happened. The new BIG 10 deal with FOX / CBS / NBC includes several ND games ... ND to get a bump to $60 million a year ... and they remain their football conference independence. Patrick had stated "if the BIG 10 can pull that deal off ... get UCLA / USC and GET ND ... then the SEC will most likely respond by adding Clemson / Miami / FSU and one other". Another HUGE FACTOR that people are not taking into consideration is ESPN .... ESPN has the current ACC contract .... they can facilitate a negotiated transfer out of the ACC to the SEC ... where THEY have the media contract SECN. There is no way they will grease the wheels for UM to leave for the BIG 10. Too much smoke that the destination IS the SEC.

Nothing in that article talks about the SEC getting rid of divisions. Only points out that the ACC got rid of them after moving to this format.

The SEC likes having divisions because limiting their best team's losses benefits the conference.

(This is just an example)
Let's say in the future Georgia only wins 9 games but still wins the East. Meanwhile Alabama and LSU both go 11-1 in the West, with Alabama losing to.. Ole Miss by 10 and LSU losing badly to Alabama.

Avoiding an Alabama LSU rematch likely guarantees the SEC 2 playoff spots. Alabama would be a heavy favorite in the conference championship game against Georgia, with LSU guaranteed a playoff spot because they avoided the game altogether.

Without divisions there would an Alabama LSU rematch, and if Alabama stomped LSU for a second time, the SEC misses out on a 2nd playoff spot and everything that comes with it.

So let's see if they ever get rid of them. My money is on not a chance in ****.

Advertisement
Nothing in that article talks about the SEC getting rid of divisions. Only points out that the ACC got rid of them after moving to this format.

The SEC likes having divisions because limiting their best team's losses benefits the conference.

Let's say in the future Georgia only wins 9 games but still wins the East. Meanwhile Alabama and LSU both go 11-1 in the West, with Alabama losing to.. Ole Miss by 10 and LSU losing badly to Alabama.

Avoiding an Alabama LSU rematch likely guarantees the SEC 2 playoff spots. Alabama would be a heavy favorite in the conference championship game against Georgia, with LSU guaranteed a playoff spot because they avoided the game altogether.

Without divisions there would an Alabama LSU rematch, and if Alabama stomped LSU for a second time, the SEC misses out on a 2nd playoff spot and everything that comes with it.

In your scenario, I think both 12-1 Bama and 11-2 LSU are both CFP participants if the pool expands to 12. Probably even 8.

Has anyone reported going to the SEC is a done deal? lol

I think UM would be Tier 2 for who the SEC would want given how much they pride themselves on that Southern feel.

To me, the B1G is the conference who will be clamoring for a UM/UNC/UVA - they need new TV markets.
They might like UNC because of the growing population base, and UVA to a lesser extent under the same logic. But they just added freakin' Los Angeles. They don't "need" any new markets. They own LA to NY as is and just inked the new 7 year/$7 billion dollar media deal. The only moves they make, going forward, need to have huge upside.

How can you have divisions if you have only 3 permanent conference opponents? Can you think of any division in college or pro sports where each division doesn't play its divisions foes at least once each?

You do provide a good example of where divisions would be a benefit. However, having the teams with the best 2 records play in the conference title game can be a benefit as well. Look at the 2020 ACC championship between undefeated ND and once defeated Clemson. Clemson won and both made it into the playoff.

Advertisement
Back