Season Stats in ACC Games

hotshot

Sophomore
Looking at our stats over the course of ACC play this season.

- Harland Beverly has the best shooting % on the squad (.596), followed by Omier at .576 and Miller at .536.

- Team FT shooting is an outstanding 199-288, or 78%. Four players hitting over 80%, with one (Beverly) over 90%. Really not a horrible FT shooter in the rotation. Walker, the poorest, is still shooting around 60%

- Our 3 pt shooting in ACC games is pretty good (.372). If you subtract Joseph and Omier, we're shooting 39%. Pack leads the team at .435.

- Miller is on the floor the most of any of our players at 34 minutes a game.

- Omier sweeping the boards with 10 rpg. Miller averages 5, Wong 4.5

- We've only had players foul out 3x (Omier twice, Miller once). Given our height disparity, that's great IMO

- 212 Assists and only 160 TOs in ACC play.

- We're averaging 78.1 ppg with our ACC opponents only putting up 70.1

Advertisement
Good post. Don’t know the stats but I’m always impressed with how many paint points we score without much height and our ability to defend in transition

+36 in total rebounds, only -8 in offensive rebounds. +54 in free throw attempts. We malign the defense but ACC opponents shooting just .429 from floor and only .321 from 3.

Our FT % improvement is so freaking clear in games. Literally winning us contests we used to lose, will be huge in the dance.
Yeah, we started out pretty weak with our FTs in the early OOC games. I remember commenting then how unlike previous Miami teams that was. As you say, we sure have improved.

Poor FT shooting will kill the most talented teams. Just ask Memphis when those Calipari-coached, Derek Rose-led teams they had couldn't hit FTs worth a ****. Cost them one, maybe two, NCs.

Last edited:
Advertisement
+36 in total rebounds, only -8 in offensive rebounds. +54 in free throw attempts. We malign the defense but ACC opponents shooting just .429 from floor and only .321 from 3.
Yeah, some of those ranking services show us to be a downright poor defensive team. One had us ranked outside their top 100. I don't see it. We're disruptive as **** at times. Sure I'd like another big who could complement Omier but ...

Yeah, some of those ranking services show us to be a downright poor defensive team. One had us ranked outside their top 100. I don't see it. We're disruptive as **** at times. Sure I'd like another big who could complement Omier but ...

Its the Cornell game killing that defensive ranking. I believe were 4th in the ACC in defense in conference play according to Kenpom

why I’m a big advocate of not benching a player when they get a certain number of fouls. When they’re on the bench, they’re essentially fouled out. They can’t help you from the sideline. Just let the guys play until they get the 5th foul and go from there. Coaches try to overthink it. I especially hate the 2 and sit in the first half

Its the Cornell game killing that defensive ranking. I believe were 4th in the ACC in defense in conference play according to Kenpom
Yep. No defense played by either team in that Cornell game. Entertaining as heck though

Hard to believe one game could have that much impact. Clearly an outlier.

Advertisement
I’ve mentioned before but I’m a bball novice, especially on analytics. What are the key metrics that usually correlate to tournament wins?

Like watching the ABA.
LOL.

That's the type of game that allowed Rick Barry to average 37 ppg in his Senior year at UM (without the benefit of the three point shot). UM games when Bruce Hale was UM's HC were always played in the 100s. Canes were Loyola-Marymount before Paul Westhead dreamed up his "system" 20 years later.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Any chance Pack, Omier and Miller come back next season? Miller is a 5th year senior, does he get an extra year due to covid? Or is that only in football?

We’re shooting 48% from the floor, which is 24th in the Nation & 1st in the ACC.

We’re also 5th in the in 3 point % at 36.1%, which is just a few points off of Clemson at 36.4, Wake & ND at 36.9& 36.6.

Us we’re 2nd in the ACC in steals at 7.7 per game...

Those right there show us why we’re 19-5 & only 0.5 games outta 1st place.

Minus a few bad close losses on the road, we’re a **** **** good team.

I've been thinking it might be nice to see Beverly in the starting 5, and directly targeted in some offensive schemes, but have been fearful to suggest it. The stats here sure make a possible case. I think he's finally ready... thoughts?

Advertisement
Back