Season predictions

Advertisement
IF we stay healthy we should finish between 7-9 and be in the tournament conversation.
A team with the likes of Sam and Rodney both starting and/or playing regularly is not at all likely to be in the tournament "conversation"... they have reached their peak (and it's melting) - unlike some of the younger or new guys who might indeed contribute to such a conversation (if the staff develops them and let's them play enough.)

At best, 18-12 overall and 10-10 in the ACC.
NIT Champions.

At worse, 15-15 overall and 8-12 in the ACC.
NIT berth and a 1st round loss.

Subject to change if injuries occur.
Dude our "best" and "worst" case scenarios are not 3 wins apart lol that is absurd.

I'll say best case 22-8 (13-7) and a 6 seed, worst case scenario 11-19 (4-16). In the best case, Wong is All ACC, 2 out of Walker/Moore/Miller/McGusty are at least All ACC HM, and 1 of the freshmen makes the All Freshman team. L gets some ACC COY votes. In the worst case, Wong is an inefficient scorer and gets no help from anyone else.

We should all learn from what happened this football season. We spend all offseason talking ourselves into a specific narrative about a team, and forget that when the season starts, things won't go as expected (for better or worse). There's a lot of randomness and variability in sports, and we seem to forget that every offseason.

A team with the likes of Sam and Rodney both starting and/or playing regularly is not at all likely to be in the tournament "conversation"... they have reached their peak (and it's melting) - unlike some of the younger or new guys who might indeed contribute to such a conversation (if the staff develops them and let's them play enough.)
You're telling me the veterans are guaranteed to be crap but the young guys are good and need to play? I've never heard that before on a sports message board!

Let's see what happens. Veterans can improve. They each played well yesterday. We don't need them to be world beaters, but if they can at least be half-decent, that might be enough to sneak into the tourney.

You're telling me the veterans are guaranteed to be crap but the young guys are good and need to play? I've never heard that before on a sports message board!

Let's see what happens. Veterans can improve. They each played well yesterday. We don't need them to be world beaters, but if they can at least be half-decent, that might be enough to sneak into the tourney.
No, I'm saying those 2 vets in particular (and Happy Veterans Day all) have developed as far as they are going to, and it's not provably enough to propel us into a serious Tournament conversation... while many of the young guys "could" (and hopefully will) under the best of circumstances make us competitive for that.
(Coach L's "cooperation" might be necessary.)

Advertisement
No, I'm saying those 2 vets in particular (and Happy Veterans Day all) have developed as far as they are going to, and it's not provably enough to propel us into a serious Tournament conversation... while many of the young guys "could" (and hopefully will) under the best of circumstances make us competitive for that.
(Coach L's "cooperation" might be necessary.)
Problem is the young bigs we have to replace Sam and miller don’t exist on this roster. They’re in the 2022 recruiting class.

Problem is the young bigs we have to replace Sam and miller don’t exist on this roster. They’re in the 2022 recruiting class.
Yeah I totally agree. But i'm hopeful maybe wooga n bensley (if given the chance) could be another Wong (he started slowly) in 2021. but unlikely. I don't mind slurping Coach L (and/or staff) a bit for the promising 2022 class, and of course for things he's done in the past. But im sure they are nice kids and nothing personal, but ill be damned if im gonna slurp Sam and Rodney. I don't think we r going anywhere (nice) with them taking up 40% of the playing time or whatever in their "senior" roles, for our "senior" coach.

Yeah I totally agree. But i'm hopeful maybe wooga n bensley (if given the chance) could be another Wong (he started slowly) in 2021. but unlikely. I don't mind slurping Coach L (and/or staff) a bit for the promising 2022 class, and of course for things he's done in the past. But im sure they are nice kids and nothing personal, but ill be damned if im gonna slurp Sam and Rodney. I don't think we r going anywhere (nice) with them taking up 40% of the playing time or whatever in their "senior" roles, for our "senior" coach.
Agreed. Which is why us not bringing in a HS big or a transfer big this season was so damning.

We're 16-41 in the ACC over the last 3 seasons. I haven't seen anything from this team to tell me it won't be more of the same this season. IF we get a new AD, I hope he brings with him a new basketball coach. This 💩 is insane!

Fran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis

Advertisement
We're 16-41 in the ACC over the last 3 seasons. I haven't seen anything from this team to tell me it won't be more of the same this season. IF we get a new AD, I hope he brings with him a new basketball coach. This 💩 is insane!

Fran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis
Don’t like what I’m seeing from this team at all so far. But I’m not completely surprised. We didn’t do much to upgrade the roster. In fact, we got worse at some positions. Obviously it’s still early, but so far we look like a sub 500 team. It’s hard to win shooting 25% from 3 and getting crushed on the glass.

Advertisement

Pasting the schedule here for reference.

I'm going to say we finish somewhere around 500 or slightly worse in the ACC and get into the NIT. I really like our backcourt, but I'm afraid our glaring lack of athleticism and physicality up front will hold us back.

Below is what Joe Lunardi predicts. I think we'll finish a little higher than 12th:

ACC​

1. Duke (9)
  2. Florida St. (19)
  3. North Carolina (21)
  4. Virginia (29)
  5. Virginia Tech (32)
  6. Syracuse (34)
  7. Notre Dame (35)
  8. Louisville (37)
  9. Clemson (64)
  10. NC State (65)
  11. Georgia Tech (66)
  12. Miami (80)
  13. Wake Forest (99)
  14. Pittsburgh (124)
  15. Boston College (130)
Tournament contenders

• Final Four: Duke
  • Sweet 16: Florida State, North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Syracuse
  • NCAA Bubble: Notre Dame, Louisville
  • NCAA Round of 64: Clemson, NC State, Georgia Tech
  • NIT: Miami, Wake Forest
  • Sleeper: Notre Dame
Can I take back my NIT prediction? Even in a bad ACC, I still see us finishing in the bottom 3 or 4 in the league the way we look so far.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back