Season predictions

Gables Canes

Freshman

Pasting the schedule here for reference.

I'm going to say we finish somewhere around 500 or slightly worse in the ACC and get into the NIT. I really like our backcourt, but I'm afraid our glaring lack of athleticism and physicality up front will hold us back.

Below is what Joe Lunardi predicts. I think we'll finish a little higher than 12th:

ACC​

1. Duke (9)
  2. Florida St. (19)
  3. North Carolina (21)
  4. Virginia (29)
  5. Virginia Tech (32)
  6. Syracuse (34)
  7. Notre Dame (35)
  8. Louisville (37)
  9. Clemson (64)
  10. NC State (65)
  11. Georgia Tech (66)
  12. Miami (80)
  13. Wake Forest (99)
  14. Pittsburgh (124)
  15. Boston College (130)
Tournament contenders

• Final Four: Duke
  • Sweet 16: Florida State, North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Syracuse
  • NCAA Bubble: Notre Dame, Louisville
  • NCAA Round of 64: Clemson, NC State, Georgia Tech
  • NIT: Miami, Wake Forest
  • Sleeper: Notre Dame

Last edited:
Advertisement
NIT would be a successful season for this program. Unfortunately I believe that’s a bit of purgatory land because surely L is back next year if this team makes the NIT.

I agree with Lunardis predictions but think we’re a bubble NIT club that will need to play good ball to get invited.

We have 3 legit guards, everyone else on the team pretty much sucks. I can't think of a comparable team in recent memory that fits that profile. Its also worth mentioning that because there's 2 year's worth of seniors rolled into one class, pretty much every team in the country is older than usual, and therefore better than usual.

Unless a 4th player emerges (Wooga would be my guess), we're a fringe bubble team most of the year, and ultimately wind up in the NIT.

I have a very close family friend who has a kid who plays for Nova. He went to the game against us a couple weeks ago, and yes it's one game and yes it was an exhibition, but he told me we're going to be flat out terrible this year. The dude could 100% be wrong, but he's been around ball his whole life, he played D2 ball, his best friend played for NC State back in the day, both his sons play college ball...he definitely knows the game. And he said we're an absolute bottom tier ACC team this year. Wasn't the best thing to hear, and only 1 guy's opinion, but he said we honestly could've lost to Nova. He said Wong is a baller but they gave him a ton of open shots that he won't get in the ACC and we have basically nothing else (he had 40 in that game btw).

I think we’ll be between 16-13/15-14/14-15...

I don’t see us winning more than 16 games on that schedule, or making any kind of tournament run at all.

The Thanksgiving game against Dayton will be a measuring stick game for the shape of this program, because if Anthony Grant comes down to Coral Gables & hands it to Larrañaga it’ll be the prime example of Miami not understanding the landscape of college athletics & holding onto a Coach who’s well past his prime.

It’s time to rip the bandaid off & move on from Jimmy L.
I believe the Dayton game is part of a tournament in Orlando.

Advertisement
I have a very close family friend who has a kid who plays for Nova. He went to the game against us a couple weeks ago, and yes it's one game and yes it was an exhibition, but he told me we're going to be flat out terrible this year. The dude could 100% be wrong, but he's been around ball his whole life, he played D2 ball, his best friend played for NC State back in the day, both his sons play college ball...he definitely knows the game. And he said we're an absolute bottom tier ACC team this year. Wasn't the best thing to hear, and only 1 guy's opinion, but he said we honestly could've lost to Nova. He said Wong is a baller but they gave him a ton of open shots that he won't get in the ACC and we have basically nothing else (he had 40 in that game btw).
We gave up 95 points to Nova which is flat out embarrassing. Did your friend elaborate and say why he thinks we are so bad?

We gave up 95 points to Nova which is flat out embarrassing. Did your friend elaborate and say why he thinks we are so bad?

We didn't talk in too much detail about it, just for a couple minutes. He just said that besides Wong we didn't have anybody that stood out as being superior to the kids Nova has, which is terrifying. Just essentially that, based off 40 whole minutes in an exhibition game, he said we're in trouble in the ACC this year.

Advertisement

We very well could, but the year we won the ACC and made the Sweet 16 with Larkin, we lost an exhibition game to St. Leo or some other D-II school, so I'm not putting anything into exhibition games.

We very well could, but the year we won the ACC and made the Sweet 16 with Larkin, we lost an exhibition game to St. Leo or some other D-II school, so I'm not putting anything into exhibition games.
You’re not wrong but to see them abuse us on the glass the way they did is the reason why all of us should be worried

Advertisement
Advertisement
sad tom hiddleston GIF

With all due respect, your friend sounds like he may have some personal issues that is clouding his assessment. Miami isn't going to the FF this year, and may have a ceiling as a bubble NCAA/NIT team, but to call them bottom tier is a joke. Then again, it's obvious that your friend didn't pay attention to the Nova game, or just ran with the narrative from the score sheet. Miami had that game in hand the entire time and kept taking their foot off the gas. Nova's style, which leads to a ton of shots helped keep them in the game, when a team that played at a normal pace would have been out of it just because they aren't going to shoot 90 times in a game. We also know that these freshmen will be significantly different 2 months from now, than they are on opening night, in an exhibition.

Never mind that it was an exhibition, and there were a lot of guys just getting back into the swing of things. Miami rebounded like dogcrap that game, which appeared to be better against Canisius. That said, that will be an issue all season, because Miami doesn't have nearly enough bigs to plug in. This team has obvious flaws, but also some extremely strong points. They are the kind of team that has a legit star in Wong, a solid second option in McGusty and a ton of young, athletic guys. The thing that will hold this team back is a legit big. That's why missing on a big in the offseason hurt so much. Miami has a competent big on the roster, this is a team that could work their way into the tournament. Think about that. Miami is one or two decent(Not spectacular, just decent) bigs away from being a solid bubble team.

We're a .500 team, give or take a couple of wins/losses. I expect we'll lurk in the bottom half of the ACC standings. It'll be a minor miracle if this team gets into the NCAA Tournament, but holding out hope a few games go our way and we sneak into the NIT. Larranaga definitely has his work cut out for him. Not signing a big man from the portal or 21 class who can rebound and contest shots was a huge mistake. One that may prove to be too high of an obstacle to overcome.

We're a .500 team, give or take a couple of wins/losses. I expect we'll lurk in the bottom half of the ACC standings. It'll be a minor miracle if this team gets into the NCAA Tournament, but holding out hope a few games go our way and we sneak into the NIT. Larranaga definitely has his work cut out for him. Not signing a big man from the portal or 21 class who can rebound and contest shots was a huge mistake. One that may prove to be too high of an obstacle to overcome.
Completely agree. We are going to get eaten up alive inside and on the glass. Small ball can only take you so far, and I don't think our slow laborious half court sets do us any favors.

Advertisement
Back