Season most likely canceled.

Advertisement
Go read up on the 1918-9 flu pandemic.

Strong measures are justified.

My father was a teenager in Chicago at the time (my parents married very late in life), and he said the bodies were piled up on the curbs as there were not resources back then to handle such a pandemic. Estimates are that 3% of the world's population died from it, but there's no way of telling how accurate that figure is. But that would be over 200 million people today.

Real time communications, modern science and precautions taken by developed countries should keep numbers well below the Spanish Flu. The other contributing factor was all the servicemen returning from WWI on ships, trains, etc. i.e. lots of tight quarters and I am sure if they survived the war, few thought they'd die from the flu; sadly, far more soldiers died from it than in battle.

So, the OP is right - the flu and other airborne viruses should never be taken lightly.

My father was a teenager in Chicago at the time (my parents married very late in life), and he said the bodies were piled up on the curbs as there were not resources back then to handle such a pandemic. Estimates are that 3% of the world's population died from it, but there's no way of telling how accurate that figure is. But that would be over 200 million people today.

Real time communications, modern science and precautions taken by developed countries should keep numbers well below the Spanish Flu. The other contributing factor was all the servicemen returning from WWI on ships, trains, etc. i.e. lots of tight quarters and I am sure if they survived the war, few thought they'd die from the flu; sadly, far more soldiers died from it than in battle.

So, the OP is right - the flu and other airborne viruses should never be taken lightly.

But we somehow manage to keep schools and restaurants open every year during flu season.

I'm wondering if our junior class will still turn pro or will they come back next year?

Hmmmm. Actually, the question should be will the NCAA make these juniors come back next year as a junior? I'm sure the NCAA won't burn eligibility for the few games played this year

Advertisement
I'm wondering if our junior class will still turn pro or will they come back next year?

Hmmmm. Actually, the question should be will the NCAA make these juniors come back next year as a junior? I'm sure the NCAA won't burn eligibility for the few games played this year

The problem becomes roster management. Everyone has a whole crop of freshmen coming in. Teams can't carry 40 players.

But we somehow manage to keep schools and restaurants open every year during flu season.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a big time over-reaction especially from people who are mostly healthy and will suffer no lasting effects. That said,

(hit send inadvertently) ... this is the new norm in our 24/7 real-time social media society. And everything is political now, so, expect a bunch of reactionary moves vs people using common sense.

I thought they already said they'd allow them to red-shirt. It's a matter of what the draft looks like, and what others have said about managing/balancing the roster w the new incoming recruits. The NCAA will probably expand the rosters and give the non private schools (namely, the SEC) an even bigger advantage.

Advertisement
The problem becomes roster management. Everyone has a whole crop of freshmen coming in. Teams can't carry 40 players.
I was reading that scholarships could be increased. The NCAA already said Seniors of Spring sports will get an extra year. Miami has 4 Seniors.

I thought they already said they'd allow them to red-shirt. It's a matter of what the draft looks like, and what others have said about managing/balancing the roster w the new incoming recruits. The NCAA will probably expand the rosters and give the non private schools (namely, the SEC) an even bigger advantage.
Yah. More than likely they will expand scholarships. Kind of sucks that we will have a bunch of guys drafted high and will most likely leave.

I would love for all the guys to come back including Zamora and make a run at a national title. Hard to turn down big money, but since they don't lose a year they would still have draft leverage next year.

Yah. More than likely they will expand scholarships. Kind of sucks that we will have a bunch of guys drafted high and will most likely leave.

I would love for all the guys to come back including Zamora and make a run at a national title. Hard to turn down big money, but since they don't lose a year they would still have draft leverage next year.

Although I believe we have multiple highly ranked SS's in this class, so, maybe we're OK at that position either way. But ya, it will really suck if we get nobody back from the rotation, and it's highly likely we won't unless they don't like their draft position/$$.

Although I believe we have multiple highly ranked SS's in this class, so, maybe we're OK at that position either way. But ya, it will really suck if we get nobody back from the rotation, and it's highly likely we won't unless they don't like their draft position/$$.
Exactly. Selfishly I wish they would all make the decision to come back the way Clemson's junior's did in football in 2017 for their 2018 season. These guys drafted will all make money one day. To make history and be a legend would last a lifetime.

Advertisement
Exactly. Selfishly I wish they would all make the decision to come back the way Clemson's junior's did in football in 2017 for their 2018 season. These guys drafted will all make money one day. To make history and be a legend would last a lifetime.
I will tip my hat to bvb and mchmahon for leaving. Both bonafide studs. I will chuckle if slade leaves. He desperately needs another year.

Slade needs another year for sure. I would love for Toral to come back for another year also. I text my brother "Toral Dongsauce" everytime he hits one. He was off to a good start this year.

Advertisement

Flu mortality rate is .1%
Coronavirus mortality is between 1-5%

At the low end that means the Coronavirus is 1000x deadlier. On top of that, most people can get flu vaccines so the contagiousness is limited. Coronavirus has a long period where people are contagious but asymptomatic meaning you could get it, not feel ill for several days, if not weeks, then start showing symptoms. In the meantime all those people who you contacted could have contracted it and done the same thing.

Flu mortality rate is .1%
Coronavirus mortality is between 1-5%

At the low end that means the Coronavirus is 1000x deadlier. On top of that, most people can get flu vaccines so the contagiousness is limited. Coronavirus has a long period where people are contagious but asymptomatic meaning you could get it, not feel ill for several days, if not weeks, then start showing symptoms. In the meantime all those people who you contacted could have contracted it and done the same thing.

Oh please. The coronavirus "mortality rate" is temporarily high because we don't know how many people are walking around with it right now. I thought everyone realized this. The death rate is literally dropping by the hour.

Honestly we have very, very incomplete information about coronavirus right now. I think people on either extreme are probably incorrect. The most concerning thing about it is how contagious it is, but just how deadly it is purely an estimation given that we don't have anywhere close to enough testing to know how many people have/had it (good chance there's 50-100 cases for every "confirmed case", but we just don't know)

I think our politicians (in both parties) are extremely naive though if they think they can shut society down and wait 12-18 months for a vaccine. At some point you need voices other than just "public health officials" making the calls, because things could get really ugly in a few months if they've destroyed the economy and put tens of millions out of work over this, especially without definitive data to back up such decisions

Advertisement
Back