Searels looking to find the right mix at OL

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
IMG_0783.jpg

Miami offensive line coach Stacy Searels spoke for the first time at spring practice today. The Hurricanes look to bring back an improved unit with a strong infusion of talent from the 2017 class.

“I like the group and the group that will be here in the fall. I like that our numbers will be back up. There oughta be a lot more competition when everybody gets back out here,” Searels said. “This spring, we’re filling it out with some guys moving around at new positions. It’s a very fluid first five, I guess you could say. We’ve got a long ways to go.”

“We should have 16 kids on scholarship once fall gets here. 16 guys who will compete and a lot of guys who have played ball and are very capable of playing winning football, so I do think we will have more depth,” Searels said.

Miami’s first unit on the offensive line for week one of spring practice has been Tyree St. Louis at left tackle, Trevor Darling at left guard, Tyler Gauthier at center, Kc McDermott at right guard, and Navaughn Donaldson at right tackle. Searels explained the process behind mixing and matching and what he is trying to accomplish with spring.

“We’re not sure exactly where the starting five is. We know we have some guys who are capable of playing, but it’s just getting them in the right spots. I think that’s what spring is for – just to build some continuity. First of all, we have to identify who the best five are and then where do they fit best,” Searels said.

One guy who has definitely caught coaches’ attention is freshman lineman Navaughn Donaldson, who Searels spoke about today.

“Navaughn coming in here has really picked up things quickly. He’s a very intelligent young man. The thing we have to do is keep getting him in shape and conditioning him, but boy he’s worked his tail off this offseason.”

Also impressed with Donaldson is fellow Central rocket Trevor Darling.

“He’s transitioning good, I like his work ethic,” Darling said. “I knew my high school coach ‘Chop’ was going to get the best out of him, so that’s what he instilled in him.”

Center Tyler Gauthier expanded on Donaldson’s potential.

“He’s a manchild. Man, the kid’s huge. He’s got great potential, but he’s probably going to be a great football player here. He’s still learning the playbook and all that and he’s having the same freshman mess-ups as everybody, but he should be a good football player for us,” Gauthier said. “He had a double-team block the other day for us and just took that down lineman and put him all the way across the field – it was really impressive for a freshman to come in and do that.”

Advertisement
I heard that George Brown was getting run today as 1st team LT. Can anyone verify or refute this?

Talent has definitely gone up and will only increase when you throw in guys like Linder, odogwu, gaynor, Herbert, Hillary to the mix in the summer

Advertisement
Donaldson working hard to get into shape is excellent news. The recent photos show he's making good progress, and it sounds like the other OL are bringing him along. Brown needs to push St Louis hard, love that competition. IMHO, McDermott will move back to tackle and surprise a few people at how well he plays.

Is there any talk of sitting Odogwu for the season and applying for a medical RS to help anchor 2018?

“He’s a manchild. Man, the kid’s huge. He’s got great potential, but he’s probably going to be a great football player here. He’s still learning the playbook and all that and he’s having the same freshman mess-ups as everybody, but he should be a good football player for us,” Gauthier said. “He had a double-team block the other day for us and just took that down lineman and put him all the way across the field – it was really impressive for a freshman to come in and do that.”

More.

Donaldson working hard to get into shape is excellent news. The recent photos show he's making good progress, and it sounds like the other OL are bringing him along. Brown needs to push St Louis hard, love that competition. IMHO, McDermott will move back to tackle and surprise a few people at how well he plays.

Is there any talk of sitting Odogwu for the season and applying for a medical RS to help anchor 2018?

Odogwu has already took a rs. And mcdermott is probably staying at guard at least to start the year.

Haven't we seen that McDermott is not a guard? No coincidence the line played much better when they got Linder out and kicked McDermott outside.

Advertisement
Haven't we seen that McDermott is not a guard? No coincidence the line played much better when they got Linder out and kicked McDermott outside.

If so, expect Doormat to be the opponents leading tackler again

It’s a very fluid first five, I guess you could say. We’ve got a long ways to go....”

....Searels explained the process behind mixing and matching and what he is trying to accomplish with spring.

We’re not sure exactly where the starting five is. We know we have some guys who are capable of playing, but it’s just getting them in the right spots. I think that’s what spring is for – just to build some continuity. First of all, we have to identify who the best five are and then where do they fit best,” Searels said.

Advertisement

The OL improved when Linder was removed. McDermott is a good player who will start at G and help us a lot this year. And he's versatile enough and smart enough to play T if we need him there. You guys are killing him for no good reason.

I like McDermott and think he'll be fine wherever he plays.

But if Brown can supplant him and lock down the LT position, with Donaldson at RG and St. Louis at RT...

Add some Gauthier at center and Darling at left guard - baby you got a stew going.

Advertisement
Agreed that it was overkill on McDermott this past year and the success of Darling's move inside was obvious from jump.

And the line definitely improved when Linder was out; really pulling for Gauthier, his play after Isidora's injury was inspiring and I expect the solidity to continue, no matter which position it manifests itself at.

The OL improved when Linder was removed. McDermott is a good player who will start at G and help us a lot this year. And he's versatile enough and smart enough to play T if we need him there. You guys are killing him for no good reason.

They are looking at the nd game when him and linder got raped.

I like McDermott and think he'll be fine wherever he plays.

But if Brown can supplant him and lock down the LT position, with Donaldson at RG and St. Louis at RT...

Add some Gauthier at center and Darling at left guard - baby you got a stew going.

Who said brown was good?

Advertisement
Back