Sean Spence

He has great film and A LOT of work to do between now and our pro day, because he can clean this up. Sure made a mess of.it though.
the advantage he has between now and pro day is that this LB class blows

if he did 12 reps today......he isnt suddenly gonna do 20 at pro day

Advertisement
Technique sheds blocks. Instinct gets you near the ball. Quickness gets you to the ball. Your legs and *** make the tackle (and a wrap). F*** the bench.
i dont say **** the bench

i say **** the 40

a kid running a 40 yard straight line in no pads doesnt tell as much as things like the shuttle and bench press do

strength will help to shed blocks

I mean I suppose the bench for reps is a decent gauge of overall strength, but it's asinine to think it tells you just as much as any quickness/agility or technique drill. Yes you use those muscles when wrapping up for a tackle or shedding blocks, but not at all in the capacity (i.e. endurance) that the bench press drill at the combine tests.

Did anyone actually see him lifting the weight? The spotter commonly subtracts reps if you don't lock out your arms so it's possible Spence did more reps but only had 12 counted. Seeing his physique on TV at the combine I have a hard time believing he could only do 12 reps.

Ali Highsmith had better film than Spence but also **** the bed at the combine. Undrafted and out of football. I love the guy but this is real bad news.

More importantly it speaks to our S&C. What have we been doing for the past 5 years?

Advertisement
Ali Highsmith had better film than Spence but also **** the bed at the combine. Undrafted and out of football. I love the guy but this is real bad news.

More importantly it speaks to our S&C. What have we been doing for the past 5 years?

As much as well like to bash Swasey(justified IMO), Spence was a senior and he should have taken ownership of his own body and made every effort to get bigger,stronger and faster. He and only he has the means in which to make himself a nice living. Can't blame Shannon,Swasey,Barrow or even Rosenpenis. The carrot was dangled,but the stick was broken I guess.

At least Goldens on to the strength deficiency of the team. If the team doesn't improve strength next season Swasey's gone for sure.

No he didn't.

Sr Years:
Highsmith 7.2 Tackles/game 9 TFL
Spence 9.6 Tackles/game 14 TFL (in 3 less games)

And Spence did it for 4 years.

Advertisement
The bench press is not that important, too many people give it undeserved weight compared to other tests. His quickness, reactions, and ability to actually understand and play the position are what are important and he excels in those areas.

Also I doubt teams will draft him and justify it with "well hey with our S/C program he will undoubtedly go up in the bench press reps". I'm sure that's not what CLF actually meant, but that's how I read your statement. He has a solid foundation and can only improve on his size and strength from here. I'm sure that's what you mean because his other numbers were good, no?

Edit: wait it's now a 4.71? meh. His film is still spectacular though...

Its not about increasing bench press reps, but overall strength. Tight Ends are bigger, and he's not going to be able to play Mike or Sam backer without getting stronger. And these behemoth TE's will muscle him around in the run game at Will backer. His other skills will net him a job in the league, but he's got to get stronger plain and simple. No getting around that, and last time I checked, BP was a measure of strength.

The bench press is not that important, too many people give it undeserved weight compared to other tests. His quickness, reactions, and ability to actually understand and play the position are what are important and he excels in those areas.

Also I doubt teams will draft him and justify it with "well hey with our S/C program he will undoubtedly go up in the bench press reps". I'm sure that's not what CLF actually meant, but that's how I read your statement. He has a solid foundation and can only improve on his size and strength from here. I'm sure that's what you mean because his other numbers were good, no?

Edit: wait it's now a 4.71? meh. His film is still spectacular though...

Its not about increasing bench press reps, but overall strength. Tight Ends are bigger, and he's not going to be able to play Mike or Sam backer without getting stronger. And these behemoth TE's will muscle him around in the run game at Will backer. His other skills will net him a job in the league, but he's got to get stronger plain and simple. No getting around that, and last time I checked, BP was a measure of strength.

Of a very specific range of motion. And the way this test is done doesn't even really measure "strength" in the way that most people define it and the way that we're talking about it. If you're talking about who's stronger than who, I'm sure the first thing that comes to mind is who lifts the most weight...not the most reps. Do the two correlate? Yeah, most likely, but just because the guy can't lift more than 15 reps of 225 pounds doesn't mean he lacks the strength to make a proper tackle.

Look, I completely agree that especially because of his height he could benefit from being bigger and stronger. What I'm saying is that people put way too much interest in the bench press FOR REPS and talk about it like it's the end all for strength evaluations. For teams, I would bet that the fact that he is overall undersized is going to be a bigger deciding factor than the fact that he put up 12 reps. Kid can ball, I don't really give a **** about how many times he consecutively put up a certain amount of weight, it's not that important.

Advertisement
Bench press in the combine is to measure muscle endurance plus strenght. If Spence had thrown it up 30 times, you'd all be giggling like little school girls.

Real is real and the reality is that Sean Spence laid an egg at the combine. 12 reps is pathetic at 235 pounds. 4.74 40 yard dash is disgraceful. The kid was better off staying put at 215 pounds and keeping the speed which would have offset his weak upper body. There is a reason why Spence could'nt get off blocks. He's not the strongest guy. Instead, he ate too many cheese pizza's and now he is an out of shape 5'10' 235LB 4.74 40 LBer

Love Spence, but kid should've been a Strong Safety at the next level. Too small and weak. his advantage was instinct and speed

Advertisement
just watched CSS and they claim Spence might be a 4th or 5th round pick after the combine.

Advertisement
Back