Sean Payton?

TemplarCane

A Real One
Premium
One NFL coach I haven't seen mentioned is New Orleans HC Sean Payton.

The Saints may very well part ways and rebuild. Brees is clearly nearing the end of his career. Payton has the hardware and savage enough to condone bounties for injuring opponents - ask Jon Vilma. Payton is only 51. He started his career in college but left for the NFL in 1996. Maybe, just maybe, he would like a fresh gig away from the grind of the NFL.

Pipe Dream? Yes
Does it hurt to inquire? No
Does it cause message board hysterics? Maybe

Advertisement
I actually thought this was the "big name" USC was going to hire. I think he was born in California.

Payton is tied for #1 in salary for NFL head coaches at 8 million a year.

Clearly he wouldn't go anywhere unless he was canned....

I don't know anything about his situation in N.O.....They're definitely struggling so far this year, though....

The Saints may very well part ways and rebuild. Brees is clearly nearing the end of his career. Payton has the hardware and savage enough to condone bounties for injuring opponents - ask Jon Vilma. Payton is only 51. He started his career in college but left for the NFL in 1996. Maybe, just maybe, he would like a fresh gig away from the grind of the NFL.

Pipe Dream? Yes

I actually thought this was the "big name" USC was going to hire. I think he was born in California.

He was an assistant coach at San Diego State early in his career.

He would look great holding a NC trophy as HC at The U.

images

...but not going to happen...

Advertisement
Only 30+ games over .500 in his NFL career. Just another loser like Pagano. Pass.

If the Saints and he part, then the Dolphins are considered his likely destination. Man oh man, back up the Brinks truck if he wants to come to Coral Gables...lol.

Advertisement
Payton is tied for #1 in salary for NFL head coaches at 8 million a year.

Clearly he wouldn't go anywhere unless he was canned....

I don't know anything about his situation in N.O.....They're definitely struggling so far this year, though....

Pipe Dream? Yes

One rumor I read on the intertubes was the Irsay family was interested in Payton as a successor for Pagano at Indy.

I hear Tom Brady is also getting older. Maybe we should speak with some guy named Bill Belichick. Bet he could do pretty good here too.

Advertisement
Still salty over his bull**** "win" over the vikings to get to the superbowl..**** him

....Wouldn't mind if we had a shot though..

Advertisement
Saban's original contract with Bama was for a guaranteed $4 mill a year plus 700k-800k annual incentives for bowl wins for 8 years, so luring an NFL coach who doesn't like his job with a $4 mill budget has been done before.

Payton would be the absolute best hire Miami can make. The only way they would be able to get any sort of interest from Payton would be if they guaranteed the maximum amount they can pay him ($4m-$5m) and loaded it with major incentives. Winning one of the 4 major new year bowls will get you $18,000,000 in prize money, they should offer to give him $10m of the $18m as an incentive. That means just winning the ACC and the Orange Bowl would get him a $10m bonus. On top of that, winning a national championship gets you $22,000,000 they should also offer him $15m of the $22m. This would give Payton the potential to make $30,000,000 in one season.

There was a rumor we talked to him, but did not offer him the job when Butch left.

If he brought Rob Ryan as his DC, I'd be thrilled to have him coach the Phins! ...or the Canes for that matter (although unlikely).

Advertisement
Back