scrimmage today?

Apparently coach Coley asked Malik Rosier to work out with the team this week because Brad Kaaya was out with the flu. So Rosier skipped an ACC baseball road trip this weekend only to find that a 3/4 healthy Brad Kaaya got the start in the scrimmage. lol Gotta love this staff.

Rosier did get some reps with the twos.

Bakas' summary on canestime was essentially that the offense looked very sloppy and was in 3rd and long all day.

Hey he is on a FOOTBALL scholarship, so yeah he needs to put in that work with team an develop chemistry with the WR's so that he is not throwing balls that WR's killed like he did today. It is a shame Miami couldn't hold on to 2015 QB Dwayne Lawson.

[video=youtube;e6NrPp-oJdI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6NrPp-oJdI[/video]

Every dual sport athlete gets a Football scholarship by NCAA rule.

But it's ok to punish a young man with a ****ty spring game for his terrible football team instead of letting him play for his nationally ranked baseball team because of a technicality.

You Golden *****es make me puke in my mouth.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_I_(NCAA)

**** Golden but his *** needs to be at football practice since he came here for football. The baseball team didn't recruit and sign him so football responsibility take precedence over baseball until he goes baseball full time. Let them pay for his *** to be here if football isn't that important to him. It's the same thing Jimbo did with Winston even before he was the fsu starter. All fsu football related activities took precedence over baseball when the coach wanted and that's how it should be. **** Jimbo even dictated what positions Winston could play. **** has ****ed me off that these butt fckers have allowed him to go this long missing practices for baseball.

Playing baseball might have been the only reason he came.

You guys do realize that Rosier sits on the bench for the baseball team. In 24 games he has 5 at bats. I don't think he was missing that much from missing a couple games seeing as he probably wasn't seeing the field anyway. If he was a regular starter for the baseball team, I would agree and say it was a **** move to make him miss games for a spring scrimmage, but he was either going to be practicing with the football team and actually doing something, or sitting on the bench at the baseball games. I have no problem at all with the coaches telling him to come to practice.

Advertisement
If you hate the team so much why are you on here? Sh*t is getting annoying

Advertisement

Brock they have nothing left to hold on to.. That's why this site sucks now.. The mods let them complain, if you disagree with a whiner, you're a slurper or not angry enough. No it's called optimism and hope.. Without it, well I guess than I would be just like a whiner.

We love the team. We hate the corches and admin. They are ruining the program

i hate the coach too but it's unbearable how guys are acting on here. If they are so done with the program quit b*tch*ng about it. We got to support the kids at the end of the day..

That's what the Germans were saying when Hitler was taking over. No blind faith for me.

Good to see my man broke taking a leadership role with the mental cripples. He's slowly and painfully becoming the hero of the invalids.

Advertisement
You guys do realize that Rosier sits on the bench for the baseball team. In 24 games he has 5 at bats. I don't think he was missing that much from missing a couple games seeing as he probably wasn't seeing the field anyway. If he was a regular starter for the baseball team, I would agree and say it was a **** move to make him miss games for a spring scrimmage, but he was either going to be practicing with the football team and actually doing something, or sitting on the bench at the baseball games. I have no problem at all with the coaches telling him to come to practice.

5 appearances as a true freshman in baseball. How many in football? But that's not really the point.

The point is that they asked him to sit out a key conference road trip in baseball because they didn't have a QB for the scrimmage then gave a still ailing Brad Kaaya the start, as well as the lion's share of the reps. (I believe Rosier was 5 for 10). Truth be told, if we had a competent staff I wouldn't have a problem with it either, but we don't, so it comes off as being in poor form IMO. We've already seen what they did to Ryan Williams in 2013 and 2014. It may not be an accident that we have no backup QB's on the roster besides a baseball player.

5 appearances as a true freshman in baseball. How many in football? But that's not really the point.

The point is that they asked him to sit out a key conference road trip in baseball because they didn't have a QB for the scrimmage then gave a still ailing Brad Kaaya the start, as well as the lion's share of the reps. (I believe Rosier was 5 for 10). Truth be told, if we had a competent staff I wouldn't have a problem with it either, but we don't, so it comes off as being in poor form IMO. We've already seen what they did to Ryan Williams in 2013 and 2014. It may not be an accident that we have no backup QB's on the roster besides a baseball player.
Not sure why this is point of emphasis for you. This is Kaaya's team flu or not. Rozier needs these reps to cement his stake as the backup. Baseball is a non-factor in this discussion. Who gives a issh anyway. Rozier should be prepping for to hold off any competition once kaaya leaves after 3yrs. That's his motivation for skipping baseball.

Crickets. Weirdest spring ever. The only reporters who are allowed to ask questions are pussies sucking up to corch...

Here is an article about the 3-21 scrimmage, apparently it was a very sloppy scrimmage.

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/03/21/live-updates-hurricanes-scrimmage-no-2/

Sloppy scrimmage for Miami Hurricanes a week before spring game
CORAL GABLES — His offensive and defensive players will claim victory over one another, but Al Golden doesn’t view a scrimmage that way. “I just look at all the little things,” he said. “There’s no way to win as the head coach.”

There’s one way everyone loses, though: when both sides commit a slew of penalties.

Before watching the film of Saturday’s scrimmage at Greentree Practice Fields, Golden and his players knew that would be the most unsavory part. In their second scrimmage of the spring – a one-hour, 40-minute affair coming seven days before the annual spring game – the Hurricanes produced several big-yardage offensive plays and turned the ball over just once. But through the first three drives, UM’s rotating first- and second-string units committed eight penalties.

“We’ve got to get rid of those,” Golden said, adding that flags “cost us on both sides of the ball last year.” The Hurricanes finished 110th nationally and last in the ACC last year in penalty yards (827) and were 108th (12th of 14 ACC teams) in number of penalties (93).

Rising sophomore quarterback Brad Kaaya, who returned after missing Thursday’s practice with the flu, voiced his frustration after working from multiple third-and-long situations. Unofficially, Kaaya finished 12-of-19 for 140 yards and a touchdown. He was a bystander during the day’s only turnover. After a sack by Harris, play continued. Kaaya threw a pass 20-plus yards over the middle to junior tight end Stan Dobard, who fumbled. Cornerback Artie Burns recovered.

“It was just a little sloppy today,” Kaaya said. “The first team offense, we’d get in there and make a 30-yard run but it gets called 15 yards back. It’s tough when it’s first-and-15. Pretty much every drive, every third down we’d go from third-and-1 to third-and-nine or third-and-10, even third-and-15.”

The defense took advantage, registering four sacks – by defensive tackle Anthony Moten, rush end Trent Harris, safety Deon Bush and linebacker Juwon Young – all on third down, and eight tackles for loss in total. Strong-side linebacker Darrion Owens, playing a larger role in place of the injured Tyriq McCord, had a team-high seven tackles.

“The defense was all over the ball today. They were all over the field,” Kaaya said. “It just seems like they’re more aggressive. It seems like they all are almost working in unison. I don’t know. It’s like one hive, it seems like.”

Sophomore running back Joe Yearby put up 108 total yards and two touchdowns. He took a Kaaya screen pass 71 yards for a touchdown and finished off another drive with a 16-yard rush. He caught two passes for 74 yards and carried seven times for 34 yards. Junior Gus Edwards didn’t break a long run, but gained 85 yards on 16 carries.

Playing mostly against the second-team defense, dual-threat backup Malik Rosier went 5-for-10 for 151 yards and two touchdowns, including an eight-yard scramble that set up Yearby’s rushing score.

“I just think [offensive coordinator James Coley] is using him differently than he does Brad and he’s allowing Malik to play in his comfort zone,” Golden said. “I think that’s smart on James’ part. So he’s got a little different package and obviously he’s getting more comfortable.”

Rosier threw touchdown passes of 45 and 26 yards to Malcolm Lewis, who finished with four receptions for 89 yards. Rosier’s first pass of the day was a screen that Braxton Berrios took 56 yards. Berrios added a 20-yard catch two drives later, but laid on the turf after making that grab. Golden said Berrios “got the wind knocked out of him” and the team was monitoring a possible rib injury.

“We’re just being real cautious right now,” Golden said, adding that the weather was “sneaky hot.” High-noon temperatures reached 86 degrees with no cloud cover. “I blew a couple of drives dead just because the play count was getting high. We’ve got to be careful this time of year. We’re very grateful that we came out of it [healthy].”

So who won?

Rosier: “I think offense personally. I mean I’m an offensive guy, but I mean the defense did good. They stopped us a couple times. They did throw some different coverages at us that we’re not used to seeing, but overall the offense did great.”

Owens: “I hope we won, but I don’t know.”

Kirby: “We won. I know the ones beat the ones on the offense.”

Golden: “I don’t know who ended up winning, but we’ll evaluate it off the film.”

Other notes:

— Senior wide receiver Rashawn Scott made several impressive plays, including a strong deke on Burns after catching a pass in the flat. Of his wide receiver unit as a whole, Golden said: “They made some nice plays: all the ones we connected that were going to come back because of a penalty, and there were a couple in there that we’ve just got to get a little bit more precise. … When we can get the ball out to Rashawn and he can get us a first down on a one-on-one I think that’s going to be good for us. Same thing on a couple of little screens out there where we made something with the ball. It doesn’t need to be a 15- or 16- yard throw. It’s a minus-2-yard throw that gets us 14, and in Rashawn’s case, it’s a line of scrimmage throw that gets us a first down.”

— Coley has mentioned using Rosier as a package quarterback. Asked whether he ran the normal offense or his own special package, Rosier said, “A little bit of both. Some of the plays were normal. Some of the plays were just our base plays, but there’s a little tag where like usually Brad hands it off, but I just read the end. It’s a little different. But there were a couple of plays that were designed just for me.”

— Kaaya and Rosier’s combined passing stats: 17-for-29 (58 percent) for 291 yards and three touchdowns, with zero interceptions. Third-stringer Vincent Testaverde rotated in for two series, throwing two incomplete passes. He did complete a long touchdown to D’Mauri Jones during pre-scrimmage 7-on-7 action. “Nothing against Vinny, but he just transferred from Texas Tech so the playbook’s still difficult. Vinny’s getting there,” Rosier said.

— The starting offensive line, from left to right: Trevor Darling, Hunter Wells, Nick Linder, Danny Isidora, Sunny Odogwu. The second unit: Jahair Jones, Alex Gall, Tyler Grimsley, Joe Brown, Kc McDermott. Several players rotated between the first and second units. Among the changes: Gall to center after the first two series, McDermott swapped tackle spots, Isidora flipped to right tackle, Brown played some right guard with the first unit. “I think it was a good rotation,” Golden said. “We’re not ready to settle in, but I thought it was a good effort. Those guys want to please, man. They want to work and that’s going to be good for us.”

— Sophomore kicker Michael Badgley had two shots at a 42-yard field goal and missed both. That’s well within his range. He did not miss an extra point.

— Not participating: cornerback Tracy Howard, strong-side linebacker Tyriq McCord, defensive tackle Calvin Heurtelou, safety Rayshawn Jenkins, rush end Scott Patchan, offensive lineman Hunter Knighton and offensive tackle Taylor Gadbois. None of them were expected to play. Heurtelou, Jenkins and Gadbois are sitting out this spring with injuries. McCord (knee) and Howard (shoulder) suffered in-camp injuries. Patchan (knee) and Knighton are participating in no-contact drills.

— Linebacker Jermaine Grace left after he suffered an apparent left shoulder injury late in the scrimmage.

Yeah, Al. It was sloppy today and it will be sloppy all through the season. Don't tell me anymore about "we've got to get that fixed"! Give me a break! YOU'VE BEEN SAYING THE SAME THING FOR FOUR PLUS YEARS AND WE STILL SUCK! Geebuz on a damned bicycle! I am so sick of this BS!

Yeah, it comes off in being poor form to someone who is looking for anything to say something against golden lol.... However I do agree rosier has a bright future in baseball. We only have 2 scholarship qbs at the time so football takes precedence right now regardless... Kaaya did miss Thursday practice so we needed rosier..

Last edited:
Advertisement

Not sure why this is point of emphasis for you. This is Kaaya's team flu or not. Rozier needs these reps to cement his stake as the backup. Baseball is a non-factor in this discussion. Who gives a issh anyway. Rozier should be prepping for to hold off any competition once kaaya leaves after 3yrs. That's his motivation for skipping baseball.

Im hard pressed to believe that Malik Rosier will be on the football team by the start of the 2017 season. Just a guess though.

That said, it all goes to what I believe is golden's mismanagement of the QB position. He picked his winners based on his personal variables. He refused to give Ryan Williams any time when SteMo was injured then refused to play him at all in 2014 even after the upper class-men went to him and asked for Williams to get some time. Keep in mind that golden blamed his upper class-men for giving up on him. Who gave up on who first?

Again, golden should be publicly shamed for not giving Ryan Williams time on Senior Day. We were a 6-5 team playing a 5-6 team. The only thing on the line was 8th place in the ACC....and golden still lost the game, locking in a 9th place finish in the ACC with a roster full of elite talent.

Last edited:

Im hard pressed to believe that Malik Rosier will be on the football team by the start of the 2017 season. Just a guess though.

That said, it all goes to what I believe is golden's mismanagement of the QB position. He picked his winners based on his personal variables. He refused to give Ryan Williams any time when SteMo was injured then refused to play him at all in 2014 even after the upper class-men went to him and asked for Williams to get some time. Keep in mind that golden blamed his upper class-men for giving up on him. Who gave up on who first?

Again, golden should be publicly shamed for not giving Ryan Williams time on Senior Day. We were a 6-5 team playing a 5-6 team. The only thing on the line was 8th place in the ACC....and golden still lost the game, locking in a 9th place finish in the ACC with a roster full of elite talent.
Understood. Golden mortgaged his future on Kaaya so he's not turning back on that plan. Take sentimental bias out of the equation and you'd agree he made a wise decision if Kaaya becomes a franchise qb.

Once Kaaya gets his spleen ruptured because our schitty OL can't block a real pass rush, then what?

The management of the QB position is the ultimate microcosm of this Temple staph. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail.

Mark my words. Kaaya will not make it through the season healthy.

Advertisement
Once Kaaya gets his spleen ruptured because our schitty OL can't block a real pass rush, then what?

The management of the QB position is the ultimate microcosm of this Temple staph. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail.

He better not get hurt because big Ev Shireffs will Wally Pipp him. Give that big guy a sniff of the QB gig, and you can forget ever getting it back.

He better not get hurt because big Ev Shireffs will Wally Pipp him. Give that big guy a sniff of the QB gig, and you can forget ever getting it back.

:based-duke2:

Don't care what the article said, Malik wanted to be there Saturday for the scrimmage. He know how important reps are.

Advertisement
Back