Scrimmage buzz

DMoney
DMoney
3 min read
Here's the story of the scrimmage after talking to team sources:

- First and most important takeaway: we're pretty healthy. Lots of camp left, but I'd feel good if we were this healthy on September 4th.

- The first-team defensive front was stout all day. You can never replace Bain and Mesidor, but the overall unit is outstanding. We knew about Ahmad Moten and Justin Scott, but DT is deeper than expected with the emergence of Jarquez Carter and Keona Davis. Davis can also play end to relieve Armondo Blount as another heavy option. Marquise Lightfoot is an animal who makes plays all over the field. Damon Wilson can take over games as a pass rusher. Third Scroggins is another reliable contributor. This group has the coaching and talent to be as good as anyone, and they play hard. Chase Smith cleaned up the running game behind them. I don't know if it's the new number (#9) or better health, but he looks fast.

- Darian Mensah protects the ball and has a growing chemistry with Malachi Toney. That connection was strong on Friday and will be must-see TV this season. Young receivers like Somourian Wingo, Milan Parris and Vance Spafford are getting quality reps and working through mistakes. I love the upside of that freshman trio long-term. Elija Lofton and Gavin Mueller showed flashes with the ball and Jackson Carver took advantage of opportunities.

- Javian Mallory is poised to step up. He has a very similar running style to Frank Gore and came into college ready to play.

- Ben Congdon continues to impress as a flexible behemoth with work ethic. He and Jackson Cantwell will both play right away and both have NFL futures. One name that doesn't come up in the depth charts I see posted on social media: SJ Alofaituli. He's a twitched-up physical anomaly who will play a big role in this offense. Samson Okunlola continues to perform at a high level after missing spring with an injury.

- I continue to love our defensive back group. Veterans like Xavier Lucas and young players like Camdin Portis performed well.

- Luke Nickel is on a good trajectory. He's throwing with more confidence. Dereon Coleman flashed and continues to do good work in the red zone.

- Jake Weinberg made some big kicks. He's the best kickoff guy in America and has upside as a field-goal kicker.
 

Comments (470)

Lmao @DMoney literally hasn’t mentioned Buchanan in like 3 weeks. Mentioning Congdon, Cantwell, and SJ as major contributors…. And no mention of Buchanan…

Dude must be injured or has not taken the next step we all hoped he would take. Given he specifically said SJ even though undersized would contribute at guard, it must mean he’s ahead of Buchanan in the order.

Unfortunate….
 
Dmoney,was listening to category 6 podcast and he thinks the starters at DE will be Blount and Lightfoot,he's really high on Lightfoot.you see any way a healthy Wilson doesn't start every game here.
 
Lmao @DMoney literally hasn’t mentioned Buchanan in like 3 weeks. Mentioning Congdon, Cantwell, and SJ as major contributors…. And no mention of Buchanan…

Dude must be injured or has not taken the next step we all hoped he would take. Given he specifically said SJ even though undersized would contribute at guard, it must mean he’s ahead of Buchanan in the order.

Unfortunate….
In the day and age of every day content we live in. It’s more obvious than ever to understand what is happening on greentree. Not a peep about Buchanan. Not a peep about Meriweather. Take that as you will. I take it as they aren’t being counted on to contribute this year.

Time will tell
 
In the day and age of every day content we live in. It’s more obvious than ever to understand what is happening on greentree. Not a peep about Buchanan. Not a peep about Meriweather. Take that as you will. I take it as they aren’t being counted on to contribute this year.

Time will tell
Also if Congdon is the monster everyone is claiming he is why would anyone be surprised he passed up Buchanon who is only a 2nd year guy with very little playing experience.
 
My notes... from a former player in attendance that I talked to.

- Izzy Briggs has IT. He didn't do a lot at the scrimmage but the way he plays, his athletic abilities, and the fact that he's not scared of nothing makes him one of my favorite ones.
- Darian Mensah is legit, but what makes him even better is that he's more athletic than I thought. And the boy is humble. You can win alot with a humble QB.
- The defense is FIRE! And fast! If we can't move the ball offensively, I won't worry one bit, because this defense is good to control the game. They get after it hard. **** near as good as us. But bigger too. (Played on the 01' team)
- I went in thinking we had a good team. After being around them, watching them... I now know we have a good squad to go far.
- To me all the WRs are playing at a high level. Honestly, I don't see drop off or weakness there at all. That could Just be me, but they all crisp, fast, twitchy, and play aggressive and fast.
- 4 (Bobby Pruitt) is gonna be problem. He's my LB1. To me it's not really close either. That's a pretty good group, but 4 is it!
- One thing that people not talking about that I've seen, these coaches are on it. So different from the past. These coaches in they A** (pause). We needed that, and they are technicians and real good dudes who care about them boys than they do about making money.
- The OL is monster group. They are bigger than most of the Lines I went against in the League.


Based on your notes. :)
- It's good to hear Third's name. I haven't heard his name yet this camp. Also, how's Stancil? Haven't heard his name either, but his uncle is a frat brother of mine and has nothing but amazing thing to say about him. Did he suit up yesterday?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top