Scrimmage #2 8/22

You, like everyone else here, didn't expect much from Greg. Now, you're acting like he's irreplaceable. You don't think much of his replacements either because they haven't had a 15 sack season yet. But Greg didn't have one either before he did.
That's not true. Every report out of camp was talking about GR being unblockable from day one. A ton of people on here were high on him. Definitely not 15 or even double digit sacks, but he was expected to make plays last .

Again, either way last year is irrelevant. He is a proven commodity that was poised to have a massive impact this year. All the talk about "unknown guy" somehow replacing GR, who was an absolute lock to smash this season, is crazy talk.

Give me the no drama, hard working, team player Top 10 pick over fictional player X any time.

Advertisement
That's not true. Every report out of camp was talking aboutt GR being unblockable from day. A ton of people on here were high on him. Definitely not 15 or even double digit sacks, but he was expected to make plays last .

Again, last year is irrelevant. He is a proven commodity that was poised to have a massive impact this year. All the talk about "unknown guy" somehow replacing GR being an absolute lock to smash this season is crazy talk.

Give me the no drama, hard working, team player Top 10 pick over fictional player X any time.
Phillips is "unknown guy"? LOL. He's more of a "known guy" than Greg was before last season. You're not getting it though. You can't seem to grasp the fact that you didn't think Greg was going to be great in 2019, and he was; you don't think Phillips is going to be great in 2020. Maybe he will be just like Greg surprised you and everyone else.

Let's just drop it and move on because you're inflexible and unwilling to concede that you can't predict what Phillips or Harvey or any of the 34 Williams' will do.

Phillips is "unknown guy"? LOL. He's more of a "known guy" than Greg was before last season. You're not getting it though. You can't seem to grasp the fact that you didn't think Greg was going to be great in 2019, and he was; you don't think Phillips is going to be great in 2020. Maybe he will be just like Greg surprised you and everyone else.

Let's just drop it and move on because you're inflexible and unwilling to concede that you can't predict what Phillips or Harvey or any of the 34 Williams' will do.
I've said twice on this thread alone I expect Phillips to have a huge year. And yes he's definitely a known name but don't forget he retired because of injuries less than two years ago.

Advertisement
Again. He was a 265 lb high school OL from a small district who was thrown to the wolves week one against experienced NFL caliber DEs and wasn’t given a TE or RB chip on the night. Most 4-5 star OL (including Isaiah Walker) do not contribute in their first college game. I have no idea what kind of asinine expectations you placed on him, but the fact that he was out there instead of redshirting last year for morons like yourself to judge is an indictment on the staff, not him. He may wind up never developing, he may wind up being solid, but you cannot and should not judge an OL until year three at the earliest. Especially one who was knowingly brought in as a project and was done zero favors by the former staff.

I don’t really care what you saw on a two minute highlight, as the basic starting point of opinion is fundamentally flawed. Please go grace Ivins with your illuminating commentary.
touchy! 🤣

My “asinine expectations“ for any Cane starter exceed dead last in all of college football, so maybe I do expect too much. As you said, we should wait for year 3, so let’s wait until year three to see what Zion does because it was an established fact that year one was an unmitigated disaster. Was it coaching? Yes. Was it the player? Yes. For whatever reason, the LT didn’t get it done.

And by the way, college football is full of freshmen and sophomores who performed a lot better than Zion by almost every college metric. I am pulling for Zion because he is a Cane, so moving him inside to play LG or letting him sit another season and develop might be best for Zion and definitely what is best for the team. I hope Zion proves me wrong, but I will have my doubts until proven otherwise.

Advertisement
Advertisement
touchy! 🤣

My “asinine expectations“ for any Cane starter exceed dead last in all of college football, so maybe I do expect too much. As you said, we should wait for year 3, so let’s wait until year three to see what Zion does because it was an established fact that year one was an unmitigated disaster. Was it coaching? Yes. Was it the player? Yes. For whatever reason, the LT didn’t get it done.

And by the way, college football is full of freshmen and sophomores who performed a lot better than Zion by almost every college metric. I am pulling for Zion because he is a Cane, so moving him inside to play LG or letting him sit another season and develop might be best for Zion and definitely what is best for the team. I hope Zion proves me wrong, but I will have my doubts until proven otherwise.
It is not touchy. I just have zero patience for “fans” who sit on their fat asses and don’t use an iota of critical thought before forming opinions to **** on our guys. You are right, there are true freshmen over all over performing. But very, very few of them are doing that at LT, even fewer from their first week, and even fewer when they come in as projects at that weight and strength.

Whatever your expectations were, especially at OL, should have been tempered on Richt and Searles for leaving the cupboard absolutely bare, and then Enos and Barry for not playing Scaife there, putting a true freshman on an island against a day two pick, calling slow developing plays, and making zero adjustments during the season. In turn, any of your issues and complaints should fall 100% on those people. Nelson should never have been out there last year for you to critique while simultaneously scratching your *** and eating your boogers.

Lol. Losing a starter makes for more cohesion... The irony of you calling out others comprehension.
This makes no sense. whether losing Greg as a starter is not mutually inclusive with this defensive lines cohesion. We’ve never seen Gr15 with this D-line so that defeats your argument fairy. Unlike y’all I admit my opinion based on possibility.

It is not touchy. I just have zero patience for “fans” who sit on their fat asses and don’t use an iota of critical thought before forming opinions to **** on our guys. You are right, there are true freshmen over all over performing. But very, very few of them are doing that at LT, even fewer from their first week, and even fewer when they come in as projects at that weight and strength.

Whatever your expectations were, especially at OL, should have been tempered on Richt and Searles for leaving the cupboard absolutely bare, and then Enos and Barry for not playing Scaife there, putting a true freshman on an island against a day two pick, calling slow developing plays, and making zero adjustments during the season. In turn, any of your issues and complaints should fall 100% on those people. Nelson should never have been out there last year for you to critique while simultaneously scratching your *** and eating your boogers.
Wow🤣 Touchy and personal about someone you don’t know? That’s ok.

I have played and been around football enough, met and know enough local coaches and scouts and I have attended enough live games often on the sideline as a guest at Florida high school games, to know a little something about football. As a matter of fact, I have seen live in person from the sidelines most of the Canes who played high school in Florida, as well as attending Paradise Camp and other CMR and Golden camps in the past. I have made my judgements based on what I have observed, and I am not always right.

And I think I can disagree with someone without being disagreeable. I can’t address your “scratching ***” and “eating boogers” comments because that isn’t about football, but I think we agree that Zion was thrust in a difficult position and was not prepared. I think it’s an established fact that Zion played poorly, and his PFF ratings were among the worst in college football. IMHO, Zion also isn’t as physically impressive as some of our higher ranked recruits with longer arms and bigger hands.

IMHO, Zion is not ready to exceed his two-star recruiting ranking. I saw enough film to see that Zion had too much physically and technique-wise to fix. I am not saying it’s impossible but it’s unlikely. Searles and past coaches weren’t great, but the Canes have upgraded the talent on the OL through recruiting and transfers.

However, if the season starts, and Zion becomes that great left tackle the Canes have been missing, I will be the first to come back on this blog and gladly say that I was wrong.

Advertisement
He also threw a pick at the twenty second mark but he's a tf so hopefully he never sees the field.
That pick looked like it hit the receiver in the hands, he knocked it up in the air and the db grabbed it. Hard to blame that one on TVD.

Advertisement
Back