Scrimmage #2 8/22

Advertisement
I see 2 plays, one with King and one with Harris, where they are running into open lanes like I can not remember seeing in a hurricanes game in literally years. We didnt see holes like that even against Bethune...Is the OL improved? did the scheme confuse the D? are the skill players just better?

I don't claim to know why, but those were High School running lanes and from an offensive prospective it is beautiful to see.
Ideally, When you run spread properly, you stretch a defense to cover every inch of the field.. Then you want speed to get in open space and force the defense to make open field tackles one on one..

Advertisement
After being the worst LT in all of college football (per every possible metric), hopefully, a WHOLE LOT BETTER!

I just saw the scrimmage highlights, and it appears that they moved people around and mixed the #1s with the #2s and #3s. I saw Zion playing LT and LG, and I saw Campbell playing LT and RT. I saw mixed LBs and DBs. Looked like Nesta played against some backups, and Harrison-Hunt played against some starters.

From watching the highlights, it appears that they were mixing things up, trying different combinations to see what they can do.
Again. He was a 265 lb high school OL from a small district who was thrown to the wolves week one against experienced NFL caliber DEs and wasn’t given a TE or RB chip on the night. Most 4-5 star OL (including Isaiah Walker) do not contribute in their first college game. I have no idea what kind of asinine expectations you placed on him, but the fact that he was out there instead of redshirting last year for morons like yourself to judge is an indictment on the staff, not him. He may wind up never developing, he may wind up being solid, but you cannot and should not judge an OL until year three at the earliest. Especially one who was knowingly brought in as a project and was done zero favors by the former staff.

I don’t really care what you saw on a two minute highlight, as the basic starting point of opinion is fundamentally flawed. Please go grace Ivins with your illuminating commentary.

Advertisement
Saw where Roche was standing up in coverage. Can we not do that with our good pass rushers?
There are plenty of valid reasons why you would drop a pass rusher occasionally. In this instance Roche wasn't in coverage he was spying King. You don't want a QB like King taking advantage of an open lane in the redzone and walking into the endzone. Could've been third down. The call worked except Cam Harris ran through 3 guys who shoulda kept him out of the endzone.

There is no analyst predicting anyone on this defense will have 15 sacks.

You, like everyone else here, didn't expect much from Greg. Now, you're acting like he's irreplaceable. You don't think much of his replacements either because they haven't had a 15 sack season yet. But Greg didn't have one either before he did.

These scary guys think a college team is one DE. LOL. Watch us put up more sacks this season and be tougher to block on the DL.
Roche + Philips = next man up for sure... but depth-wise 3 elite rushers are better than 2. I don't think we'll miss GR15 too much but some icefool is saying addition by subtraction... which is ridiculous IMO.

Advertisement
I think we are fine in base D with what we have, we will miss GR15 in the nascar package though. He was fantastic at rushing the passer from the middle of that alignment, not every end can slide inside like that. Phillips, GR15 and Roche would have been almost unfair.

Still a nice unit though, should be around the top of the conference.
Conference? I think they’ll land in the Top 15 in the nation actually. But I get your point, we’ll be 2nd in defense by seasons end to Clemson.

Advertisement
Van Dyke threw a dart in this 30 second clip. He’s going to be one of the top 5 QBs in UM history I’m projecting now.
He also threw a pick at the twenty second mark but he's a tf so hopefully he never sees the field.

Advertisement
Back