Scrimmage #2 8/22

Advertisement
I'll reiterate what some others have said in this thread...and this comes from a local high school head coach who was in attendance at the scrimmage tonight and is pretty well connected in general across the youth league scene.

X Restrepo is a thing. We might have a star on our hands.
Ecstatic that he’s thriving, but not surprised. I know it’s a scrimmage, but all reports say the kid’s been consistently balling since he got to campus. I’d love to see where all the goofies saying he wasn’t college ready went 🤔

No. Stop it - we are not better without Rousseau.

You guys sound like those people during The Big 3 Era who claimed the Heat were better when Wade wasn't on the floor.
Again, I ask that you read and engage in productive discourse. I made it clear when I said I'm not sure if we're better or worse without Greg. What I did say was that the best programs don't skip a beat when they lose great players. Do you want to be a great program again? We used to replace 1st rounders and keep humming. Remember when Ed Reed left? Did we quit? Nah. Just played an inferior athlete in Sean Taylor.

Can you admit it's at least possible that Greg isn't the greatest player who will ever play at UM again with his 10 games he actually played?

What happened at Clemson when they lost Watson? Did they quit playing football? Nope. They got Lawrence. People actually thought Clemson was cooked when Taj Boyd left. How about when Clemson lost all its DL several years ago? Did they fall apart and quit. Nope. They replaced them and were even better.

You guys need to quit being so scared that without Greg and his 10 games (by the way, we lost most of them) we need to fold the program up.

It’s hard to gage whether a scrimmage means anything. Who will start? Who will figure prominently in the game plan? Who are the playmakers? I can go back to last season under CMD, to see that scrimmage highlights and stats don’t indicate who will start or be the playmakers on offense, and the same thing with Lashlee at SMU and Auburn. Most importantly, it doesn’t really tell us whether they will have a winning season.

For example, Balom and Couch had INTs, but which QB/QBs threw the INTs? Huff had two sacks, but which OL did he beat and which QBs did he sack? Restrepo has 79 yards and a TD, but was it against the 1s, 2s or 3s?

It still gives us something to talk about and to speculate on, but we have to be careful not to draw too much from a few scrimmage highlights and stats. The Post-scrimmage depth charts will tell us more about who is expected to play, then it’s up to those on the two- and three-deep to change that pecking order during the season.

As for winning games, the most important stat of all, we won’t know for sure until the Canes actually start playing games. I think they will win More games this season based on the new coaches, transfers and scheme, but it’s only a guess. At this point, I am simply cautiously optimistic based on what I have seen

Advertisement
I remain completely unconvinced that we would have gotten the best GR15 he had to offer this year if he had played. The fact that he shut it down says a lot about where his mind is at, and where it would've been at. We have some really talented dudes behind him that should be HUNGRY for their turn. I don't want to kick top 10 picks off the team, but sometimes a little hunger is even more important than talent. Tennessee didn't win their 98 natty until scrub *** Tee Martin came in for one of the top 2 QBs in football history.

Again, I ask that you read and engage in productive discourse. I made it clear when I said I'm not sure if we're better or worse without Greg. What I did say was that the best programs don't skip a beat when they lose great players. Do you want to be a great program again? We used to replace 1st rounders and keep humming. Remember when Ed Reed left? Did we quit? Nah. Just played an inferior athlete in Sean Taylor.

Can you admit it's at least possible that Greg isn't the greatest player who will ever play at UM again with his 10 games he actually played?

What happened at Clemson when they lost Watson? Did they quit playing football? Nope. They got Lawrence. People actually thought Clemson was cooked when Taj Boyd left. How about when Clemson lost all its DL several years ago? Did they fall apart and quit. Nope. They replaced them and were even better.

You guys need to quit being so scared that without Greg and his 10 games (by the way, we lost most of them) we need to fold the program up.

Even if Jaelan turns out to be better than a projected top 10/15 pick (a big IF), we're certainly not better without Greg. Given the tempo and pace of modern CFB, our 4th DE is important and will get a significant amount of snaps. Instead of Harvey getting those snaps, now we're gonna rely on Cameron or Chantz. Of course, all of this is still assuming that none of our DEs get injured or get Covid.

Greg is not the best player who ever or will ever play at UM. I don't want to fold the program because Greg is sitting out. We could still win a lot of games without Greg. But it's pretty obvious we will be worse without Greg. If Jaelan ends up being better than Greg, then certainly a good portion of that loss will be minimized, but having 2 top 15 picks makes you better than having 1 top 15 pick and vice-versa.

More info on scrimmage via Christy Chirinos, writer for the MiamiHurricane:

Quarterback Tyler Van Dyke was 5-of-6 for 205 yards with a touchdown and an interception, while Balom led the defense with a scrimmage-high seven tackles, an interception and a forced fumble.

And for the second straight week, running backs Jaylan Knighton and Donald Chaney, Jr. impressed, with Knighton posting 12 carries for 43 yards with a touchdown and Chaney adding eight carries for 48 yards and a touchdown.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Exhibit A of mfckers with weak reading comprehension chiming in. I didn’t say this defense as a whole will be better without GR15. I said schematically the defensive line can perhaps Gel better without GR15, considering when all play to their strengths. Meaning multiple players with 10+ sacks, instead of the core focus being on one player with double digit sacks. Each bring something different to the table. But let CIS troll for few likes and giggles.
Oh, no I comprehend what you are saying. But I still think it’s ridiculous. We are not schematically better without one of the most versatile freakish pass rushers in the country. You wouldn’t rather have Phillips, Roche and GR15 on the line 3rd and 10? Is that not schematically better than what we have now?
I think the line will be fine, perhaps a strength still, but c’mon.

Exhibit A of mfckers with weak reading comprehension chiming in. I didn’t say this defense as a whole will be better without GR15. I said schematically the defensive line can perhaps Gel better without GR15, considering when all play to their strengths. Meaning multiple players with 10+ sacks, instead of the core focus being on one player with double digit sacks. Each bring something different to the table. But let CIS troll for few likes and giggles.
Why would the dline not gel just as well with GR15 in the lineup? How does having GR15 in the lineup negate his team-mates from playing to their strenghts?

What you're about to read is conjecture but Roche might have ended John Campbell's reign as starting LT by the sounds of it. Do we know who was playing LG next to Zion? Could it have been Campbell? With buzz surrounding Hunte and Miller it stands to reason that Traore may have struggled. Are we sure TVD isn't QB2?

Advertisement
What you're about to read is conjecture but Roche might have ended John Campbell's reign as starting LT by the sounds of it. Do we know who was playing LG next to Zion? Could it have been Campbell? With buzz surrounding Hunte and Miller it stands to reason that Traore may have struggled. Are we sure TVD isn't QB2?
Here we go again. Carousel on Oline.

We will find out against UAB in a few weeks.
838C3F7F-8802-44BD-BE7A-AF14614C4820.gif

Oh, no I comprehend what you are saying. But I still think it’s ridiculous. We are not schematically better without one of the most versatile freakish pass rushers in the country. You wouldn’t rather have Phillips, Roche and GR15 on the line 3rd and 10? Is that not schematically better than what we have now?
I think the line will be fine, perhaps a strength still, but c’mon.
I would love to have GR15 on a 3rd and 10 situation but simple fact is we wouldn’t know how this D-line gels with Gr15, for better or worse. This is an entirely different d-line than last season. What Jonathan Garvin and Patchen brought to the table is different than what and Roche and Phillips brings. Which is speed and freak athleticism. Could they match the same production with GR15? Idk perhaps but I stated in my persona opinion. Phillips, Roche, Harvey, Ford, Nesta, Cam or Chantz will probably gel cohesively like a unit. Think 2018 line without the production of Willis.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Marsh is a doof. He is a Utah fan and makes his bread and butter off of regurtitating canes news online. His writing sucks, low football knowledge. He doesn't even know who Willie Williams is/was. Dude is corny.
Also interviewed Palmettos coach and said he really respects and admired him after the Marshall fiasco. Some of the roids went where they weren’t supposed to.

Why would the dline not gel just as well with GR15 in the lineup? How does having GR15 in the lineup negate his team-mates from playing to their strenghts?
No one on that line last year eclipsed 6+ sacks aside from Gr15 who had 15.5. I don’t think it’s Ludacris to think opposing defenses would scheme for GR15, leaving mismatches and opportunities for others which I’m not saying is a bad thing. Without GR15 I just think this d-line operates cohesively. Let me define this since you mfckers are having a hard time comprehending Cohesion: the action or fact of forming a united whole. I think multiple defenders on this line can have 6+ sacks without Gr15 if you think they can with Gr15 then that’s your opinion I’m not disagreeing, unlike you mfckers.

I do not think GR-15 is going to be a big loss. We have very capable players on the DL and it certainly doesn't look his mind set was on college football but strictly $$$$. I would like to see TVD progress and give him many opportunities to be the second man in.

Advertisement
Back