Scouting Report: Analyzing Miami Hurricanes’ 2017 Class

Who is this guy Gould? I know he charts plays, but what gives his opinion on talent evaluation any more validity than a normal fan?

They said he's been doing these write-ups for 4 or 5 years. I'd like to see all of his past write-ups to see how they panned out.

ask and you shall receive!

Advertisement
I liked it, though you could get the same rankings by simply going through a Rivals list. In fact, I think it lines up like 90% with recruiting sites.

I'd like someone to give their thoughts and not hedge so much. If you like a player more than size indicates, rank them accordingly and actually make statements.

I have watched probably 40 corner prospects and there aren't 5 I'd take over Bandy for the things we will ask his position to do. I think he's a legit elite player when you add in the will and competitiveness.

As for his comments on WR, I'd place Jeff Thomas right with Jeudy, and I really like Harley.

Recruiting is as much about fit for the role asked to play as it is about anything else and the coaches really meshed the two together well.

As a data analyst myself (though my role is technically manager), I understand the desire to push everything towards the middle, allow for an error range, and expect enough things will push out to allow yourself to claim accuracy, but I'd have liked for him to like or dislike a player more than consensus to take his analysis more seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good report and not to discredit it but I disagree with Steed struggling in space. Having quick feet and struggling in space is contradicting. I would have given him a 7 based on his film and the potential of him fully recovering from his injury and that is as non-biased as I can be lol.

It's almost all from hudl HLs (I got full games for Herbert and Harley this year, I normally have a few each year). I start with junior year HLs then senior year, then watch teammates HLs and then see what opponent HLs I can find, then re-watch the senior HLs. From a time standpoint it's probably 50% their HLs 50% someone else. This ratio is a lot more evenly split than a few years ago when it was rivals/scout video and some youtube HLs.

Advertisement
I appreciate your grind, Gould. But it's impossible to judge some of the most important predictors of future success at a high level of football by looking at highlight tapes. For instance, you won't see a guy taking downs off on a highlight tape.

Confucius say "Any coach who relies on highlight film to evaluate prosepcts won't be a coach for long."

I like Steed a lot and I would even bump him but the Wilder and Jennings analysis is fair.

They took a few LB's with zero film in coverage and clear limitations.

Jennings is a tough dude and Wilder can run I just think two LB's who project as special teams was too much.

They've got the starters at LB penciled in for at least the next two seasons, probably three. It's not easy to bring in players when you're essentially telling them "You'll be backing up this guy for the next 2-3 years". I think they got some solid role players with the possibility of one or more becoming a starter as an upper classman. All three of them could have went elsewhere and contributed earlier. They're not stars but they're not bottom of the barrel left overs either.

Advertisement
I like Steed a lot and I would even bump him but the Wilder and Jennings analysis is fair.

Jennings is a tough dude and Wilder can run I just think two LB's who project as special teams was too much.

They've got the starters at LB penciled in for at least the next two seasons, probably three. It's not easy to bring in players when you're essentially telling them "You'll be backing up this guy for the next 2-3 years". I think they got some solid role players with the possibility of one or more becoming a starter as an upper classman. All three of them could have went elsewhere and contributed earlier. They're not stars but they're not bottom of the barrel left overs either.

Diaz loves to rest his LBs. He played the backups a lot last year, and the backups were not good. If he gets some LBs he can really trust they will play a ton of football. On top of that, as violent as that position is there will always be injuries.

I appreciate your grind, Gould. But it's impossible to judge some of the most important predictors of future success at a high level of football by looking at highlight tapes. For instance, you won't see a guy taking downs off on a highlight tape.

exactly. i'll at least give him credit if he's truly taking the time to watch teammates and opponent's highlights, though. while still incomplete, it'll be more than what most that make these predictions see.

exactly. i'll at least give him credit if he's truly taking the time to watch teammates and opponent's highlights, though. while still incomplete, it'll be more than what most that make these predictions see.
Time is limited so I understand him only watching highlights unless he's getting paid to make these lists. I take analysis of highlights with a boulder of salt.

Well, other players HLs are only HLs for that player. So when I'm watching a teammates HL, I'm seeing what a player does on a ton of plays where he isn't necessarily performing at his best. And when I'm watching the HLs from another team, I can see if he performs fine when someone else is excelling (Dean and Garvin are 2 guys that were extremely impressive on opponents tapes) or if he is the reason the other guy is doing well (Jennings was HORRIFIC on a RB from another teams HL). It's obviously not complete game film, but it's pretty easy to get a complete picture with how much tape is available on hudl now.

Advertisement

Diaz loves to rest his LBs. He played the backups a lot last year, and the backups were not good. If he gets some LBs he can really trust they will play a ton of football. On top of that, as violent as that position is there will always be injuries.

Chise gets it!!! My man!!!

I agree. I'm just stating that it's not easy to get a top level LB recruit to sign up when you've got three returning sophomore starters. I think the guy they signed should be more than capable of filling in from time to time.

All I know is the University of Iowa offered Zach Dykstra and they have somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 offensive linemen on NFL rosters. Had Iowa not offered him then I'd be somewhat concerned.

Coach Kool said Ford was the best defensive tackle prospect he saw this cycle. He said the same thing about Joe Jackson at defensive end the year prior. ****, if he wasn't right regarding Freshman All-American Joe Jackson. I think I'll go with Coach Kool on this one....lol.

Advertisement

I agree. I'm just stating that it's not easy to get a top level LB recruit to sign up when you've got three returning sophomore starters. I think the guy they signed should be more than capable of filling in from time to time.

I think Steed can be a very good player for us. He's not a physically overwhelming guy, but I don't give a **** about that All-Airport Team stuff. Just pile up tackles like Nate Webster.

There have been hundreds of LBs over the years with his measurables who have gone on to excel at this level and in the NFL. The dude played his senior season with a torn ACL and still made football plays. That's amazing stuff.

He also put up some very impressive athletic testing numbers at one of those Nike combines, so while he might be a little shorter than prototype he's a plus athlete.

Get him healthy and let him train with Gus and get a great nutrition program and get schooled up by a masterful LBs coach like Diaz, and he will rip **** up here. If he's the kind of dude I think he is then he'll use the doubters as fuel.

All I know is the University of Iowa offered Zach Dykstra and they have somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 offensive linemen on NFL rosters. Had Iowa not offered him then I'd be somewhat concerned.

Coach Kool said Ford was the best defensive tackle prospect he saw this cycle. He said the same thing about Joe Jackson at defensive end the year prior. ****, if he wasn't right regarding Freshman All-American Joe Jackson. I think I'll go with Coach Kool on this one....lol.

Yeah. No offense to anyone, but if Kool is raving about Ford that hard then I'm riding with Kool. I had some doubts about Ford's production, but I'm willing to defer to Kool.

Kool didn't have to say he was the best DT prospect he saw. By saying that he is tellin is to expect huge things.

This was two weeks in UM's weight training program. I am anxious to see what he will look like after one semester.
IMG_3275.jpg

Advertisement
Back