Scott Patchan #71

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium
If you haven't read this article by Manny Navarro of the Athletic, it's well worth it. Great kid. He did get his 6th year of eligibility approved so he has one more to go.

Here's the link:

As most of us know, Scott's dad played on the 1983 and 1987 National Championship Canes teams. Scott suffered through years of injuries to his knees, including tearing the same ACL 3 times. It was only after a pioneer-level stem cell transfer surgery , moving stem cells from the bone marrow in his hip to his knee that Patchan became healthy enough to see the field for the Canes in 2017.

Per Navarro
When he came back for the start of the 2017 season, he was buried on the depth chart at defensive end behind Chad Thomas, Trent Harris and then incoming four-star freshman recruit DJ Johnson. Richt told Scott then he would likely be on the scout team if he didn’t switch to tight end, where there was a need for depth. Scott made the switch and played in five games but never had a ball thrown his way.
A year later, Scott moved back to defensive end when Johnson returned home to California. Scott’s role then elevated further when freshman star recruit Gregory Rousseau was lost to a season-ending injury in Week 2. Patchan became the first defensive end off the bench behind Jon Garvin and Joe Jackson. He played in 12 games, registering 29 tackles, 2½ for loss, a forced fumble, a sack and returned a blocked punt for a score.

“Coach Jess (Simpson) was such a big person in my life. After the LSU loss, he talked to me. He trusted me and every day he reminded me that he trusted me and had faith in me. He kept saying that I was going to be a good ballplayer. And I needed to hear that because I didn’t have confidence at all before that. Coach (Todd) Stroud’s done a tremendous job reinforcing that too since he’s been here.”

Patchan became one of Coach Feeley's most dedicated followers during the spring and summer off season.
“Somebody told me years ago after the second time I got hurt, your body’s got to be your shield and your sword at the same time and you’re going to war every time you play football. From that standpoint, I had to do everything in my power to get myself ready to put up the best game I could put on a field.”
Scott said after the team completed workouts this summer he made sure to push the sled or go to the gym for his third or fourth workout of the day.
“You hear so many stories about Jon Beason and (Jon) Vilma, all those guys, those greats that do the extra stuff. For me personally, that was my goal. I needed to go do extra stuff because I don’t want to look back with any regrets,” Scott said.

Patchan had a great game against UF , becoming the first Cane to wear the new 305 turnover chain.
He graded out the highest of any Miami defensive player, according to Pro Football Focus, producing six quarterback pressures and five tackles on 43 snaps. His stellar play and aggressiveness kept Rousseau and Virginia Tech graduate transfer Trevon Hill on the Canes’ bench for most of the game.

I want to dominate,” Scott said last month. “I didn’t come to Miami to not play great defense. Every time I step on the field, I want the other team to know where I’m at. I want them to not only game plan for the great players around me like Shaq (Quarterman), who is one of the best middle linebackers in the country. or Neo (Garvin). I want teams to know where I am, where I line up every time.”

This is the kind of attitude this team needs to succeed. You cannot help but root for him to achieve his goals. He's a great role model for the younger guys, too.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Great coaches, teachers, and parents build up the confidence of their players, students, and children. That’s how you get the most out of your people, not tearing them down. Great to hear that Patchan’s coaches believed in him and inspired him to keep pushing for greatness.

So many morons on this site get ****ed when Manny sticks to positive messages and would prefer that he **** on his players publicly. I feel bad for the morons’ children.

Advertisement
Advertisement
If I remember correctly this kid was rated higher out of high school than any other DE on our roster right now, and I'm sure the star lovers in this board are the ones who don't want him to play.
You remembered incorrectly, he was not higher rated higher than any other de on our roster. Phillips,Garvin, Harvey, Rousseau, hill and cam Williams all were rated higher at dend. Hope patchan has a successful year though

Last edited:
Advertisement
If you haven't read this article by Manny Navarro of the Athletic, it's well worth it. Great kid. He did get his 6th year of eligibility approved so he has one more to go.

Here's the link:

As most of us know, Scott's dad played on the 1983 and 1987 National Championship Canes teams. Scott suffered through years of injuries to his knees, including tearing the same ACL 3 times. It was only after a pioneer-level stem cell transfer surgery , moving stem cells from the bone marrow in his hip to his knee that Patchan became healthy enough to see the field for the Canes in 2017.

Per Navarro
When he came back for the start of the 2017 season, he was buried on the depth chart at defensive end behind Chad Thomas, Trent Harris and then incoming four-star freshman recruit DJ Johnson. Richt told Scott then he would likely be on the scout team if he didn’t switch to tight end, where there was a need for depth. Scott made the switch and played in five games but never had a ball thrown his way.
A year later, Scott moved back to defensive end when Johnson returned home to California. Scott’s role then elevated further when freshman star recruit Gregory Rousseau was lost to a season-ending injury in Week 2. Patchan became the first defensive end off the bench behind Jon Garvin and Joe Jackson. He played in 12 games, registering 29 tackles, 2½ for loss, a forced fumble, a sack and returned a blocked punt for a score.

“Coach Jess (Simpson) was such a big person in my life. After the LSU loss, he talked to me. He trusted me and every day he reminded me that he trusted me and had faith in me. He kept saying that I was going to be a good ballplayer. And I needed to hear that because I didn’t have confidence at all before that. Coach (Todd) Stroud’s done a tremendous job reinforcing that too since he’s been here.”

Patchan became one of Coach Feeley's most dedicated followers during the spring and summer off season.
“Somebody told me years ago after the second time I got hurt, your body’s got to be your shield and your sword at the same time and you’re going to war every time you play football. From that standpoint, I had to do everything in my power to get myself ready to put up the best game I could put on a field.”
Scott said after the team completed workouts this summer he made sure to push the sled or go to the gym for his third or fourth workout of the day.
“You hear so many stories about Jon Beason and (Jon) Vilma, all those guys, those greats that do the extra stuff. For me personally, that was my goal. I needed to go do extra stuff because I don’t want to look back with any regrets,” Scott said.

Patchan had a great game against UF , becoming the first Cane to wear the new 305 turnover chain.
He graded out the highest of any Miami defensive player, according to Pro Football Focus, producing six quarterback pressures and five tackles on 43 snaps. His stellar play and aggressiveness kept Rousseau and Virginia Tech graduate transfer Trevon Hill on the Canes’ bench for most of the game.

I want to dominate,” Scott said last month. “I didn’t come to Miami to not play great defense. Every time I step on the field, I want the other team to know where I’m at. I want them to not only game plan for the great players around me like Shaq (Quarterman), who is one of the best middle linebackers in the country. or Neo (Garvin). I want teams to know where I am, where I line up every time.”

This is the kind of attitude this team needs to succeed. You cannot help but root for him to achieve his goals. He's a great role model for the younger guys, too.

Excellent share. It boggles my mind that every single Cane fan isn't rooting for this kid with all of their might. He bleeds Orange and Green since birth. He has seen, and worked to overcome, more adversity than most will see in a lifetime. He has sacrificed time and again for the good of his team mates and for the program. He is unwilling to be outworked, and he is unwavering in his love and support for the U.

How a kid like that could have the game he had against UFelon and the most noise we hear is people complaining that he saw the field too much is, quite simply, disappointing and disheartening.

Yes, article confirms it was approved by the NCAA.

Unreal and a lie. NCAA will not grant a 6 year to a player at the beginning of his 5 year. It’s just plain stupid. Is like they give out medals for posting or initiating a thread with a misleading title.

Advertisement
Back