Scholarship Loss Thought

SFbayCane

All American
I saw this comment in another thread and it got me thinking.

Golden used the number 82 in an interview earlier in the week (that we would have 82 scholarship players) next year. It would fit if we take 7 EE and then 25 on 2/1 and lose 35, it calculates out

I wonder if we can pull a rabbit out of the hat on the scholarship reduction portion of any pending NCAA punishment. Seeing as how coach Golden is saying the most we can get onto the roster this year is 82, any chance we get to count these 3 unfilled 'ships for 2012 towards the reductions??

Just a thought.

Advertisement
it would be wise... golden and his staff are intelligent. i think if they can, they will.

it would be wise... golden and his staff are intelligent. i think if they can, they will.

Having a coach capable of forward thinking makes me more comfortable about this.

Thing is I know we are all feeling good about possible sanctions but we just cant start counting chickens before they hatch.

Advertisement
I saw this comment in another thread and it got me thinking.

Golden used the number 82 in an interview earlier in the week (that we would have 82 scholarship players) next year. It would fit if we take 7 EE and then 25 on 2/1 and lose 35, it calculates out

I wonder if we can pull a rabbit out of the hat on the scholarship reduction portion of any pending NCAA punishment. Seeing as how coach Golden is saying the most we can get onto the roster this year is 82, any chance we get to count these 3 unfilled 'ships for 2012 towards the reductions??

Just a thought.
That's an interesting question. When the NCAA imposes scholarship reductions, do they limit the overall 85 to something less, or do they limit the 25 year max to something less?

Also, Golden's 82 is based on losing 35 and gaining 32. I think there is some wiggle in those numbers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but teams dealing with recruiting violations self-impose scholarship reductions all the time, do they not? OSU did it as did USC. Yes the NCAA added additional scholarship losses, but that was on top of what the two schools self-imposed.

Just as UM and other schools can self-impose a bowl ban, I believe schools can certainly self-impose scholarship reductions and establish the date on which the penalties commence.

I think the issue is that UM doesn't seem willing to jump the gun on the NCAA and acknowledge that the violations are deserving of additional penalties beside the player suspensions and the bowl ban. But if UM wanted to self-impose a three scholarship loss for the 2012 (when UM may only be at 82 anyway) it would seem to be doable. Then, if the NCAA were to impose additional scholarship losses and for more years, UM would presumably get credited for the self-imposed scholarship losses as well as establishing the initial year for scholarship losses (2012).

No actual knowledge here, I'm just drawing inferences from prior examples with other programs.

Advertisement
Basically to be proactive. A big part of the reason that USC got hammered was because they basically stonewalled the NCAA. They give you a chance to self impose and usually won't hammer you as hard if they see that you are being proactive and work to "fix" the problem. If you get an NOA, one which suggests you should take some schollies away, and come back and don't, or give a really weak penalty, then the NCAA will kind of take that as a slap in the face. Like you really don't think need to self police.

Im of the opinion that the NCAA will rule on UM by August. If so, we should be in good shape.

Advertisement
Back