Scaife comfortable at both tackle and guard

View as article
Scafie has long arms and arm length is a key to playing tackle. Often 6-5 to 6-6 guys that have tackle height are moved inside to guard because of lack of arm length.
The problem is lack of depth across the line. You move one good player to a position and there is really no one to back him up. Either they are lacking talent wise and in the case of the U the better players are true freshmen.
Next year with Rivers and Smith the OG from Ocala being EEs and the kid Washington presently 6-7 and 285 this lack of talent thing should start to diminish.
Would be super if we could land Walker.

Advertisement
So when its Miami, our dudes "arent that good" to get beat by a True Frosh, but for any other team it's whatever. Miami is NOWHERE NEAR the only school that started a TRUE FRESHMAN at OT in Week 0/1.
Are you delusional? Hillary and herbert are not good.

If they make the move it's at least an upgrade over Searles, as he would have made the move week 6.

Scafie has long arms and arm length is a key to playing tackle. Often 6-5 to 6-6 guys that have tackle height are moved inside to guard because of lack of arm length.
The problem is lack of depth across the line. You move one good player to a position and there is really no one to back him up. Either they are lacking talent wise and in the case of the U the better players are true freshmen.
Next year with Rivers and Smith the OG from Ocala being EEs and the kid Washington presently 6-7 and 285 this lack of talent thing should start to diminish.
Would be super if we could land Walker.
Sorry if Im wrong but I thought that Scaife not having long arms is one of the reason he wasn't that highly rated off the jump going into his senior year. He is just bulldog strong with very good footwork that allows him to play both inside and out. He blew up the camp circuit but everything you read was that physically he just wasn't ideal but the recruiting scouts couldn't deny the fact that he just routinely stonewalled people in every setting. Eventually they had no choice but to keep moving him up and up the rankings.

Advertisement
Nah, that’s an over generalization. The distinction in this specific instance (as opposed to every school in the country) I..e. Neal and Zion, is that Neal was a 5 star and the top OL recruit in the country, whereas Zion was a 2 or 3 star recruit that wouldn’t have even played this year but for his gaining about 50 lbs. Added to that Zion’s play was just bad.
That’s the point of the other poster when he says our talent is just not there as to offensive tackles.

This pretty much makes my point. Neal beat out people ranked lower than him. So in other words, its fair to say that Neal walked into a situation where he was more talented than the guys ahead of him, and capitalized it into a starting spot. On the other hand, Zion beat out players ranked higher than him (perceived to have more talent). NONE of these guys that Neal OR Zion beat out had significant playing time last year. So why does Zion competition get dubbed as trash (even though they were rated higher)?

This pretty much makes my point. Neal beat out people ranked lower than him. So in other words, its fair to say that Neal walked into a situation where he was more talented than the guys ahead of him, and capitalized it into a starting spot. On the other hand, Zion beat out players ranked higher than him (perceived to have more talent). NONE of these guys that Neal OR Zion beat out had significant playing time last year. So why does Zion competition get dubbed as trash (even though they were rated higher)?

Nah, simply concluding that I made your point doesn’t do so unless you’re now doing a 180 from your initial statement of the “talent is there” to “the talent is NOT there.”

Your original statement was...."The talent is there. Last year the scheme was the reason the OL sucked. This year I thought it was pretty blatant that the UF DL jumping the snap, coupled with our True Frosh LT coming off the ball late against a SR was pretty evident." Just looking solely at that part of your statement that …. "our True Frosh LT coming off the ball late …" contradicts your statement that the talent is there. If Zion was so talented he wouldn't continually come off the ball late, in addition to getting beat several times in other ways. You can make the same statement about any OT in the country ... if only he wasn't late coming off the ball … but that doesn't demonstrate talent; on the contrary it shows a lack of talent.

I agree with you that Neal and Zion beat their competition. But that doesn't make UM's line talented.

Your comment about not having significant playing time is a generalization that is not stated in any context. Consider, as just one of several factors, that Bama had offensive lineman selected # 11 in the first round, and # 153 in the fifth round. Miami had none. Doubtful that other Bama OL would get significant playing time ahead of those two, whereas the non-significant time playing Miami OL didn’t face that challenge of trying to unseat future draft picks.

I think Zion (or Campbell or both) graded out among the worst individual performers on the team. That's surely one reason for others trashing him. If he’s the best we got at that position, then what the other poster has sensibly suggested is that the talent is not there for us. Our coaches apparently think the players behind Zion are not as talented. You think the “talent is there.” I wish it was but your opinion is unfortunately contradicted by the presently poor OT play. Maybe there will be a quantum leap and that will change tomorrow night. We shall see.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Apologies if this was covered before but it “seemed” like the interior of the line played well for the most part.

So much angst towards the tackles and I didn’t have the stomach to really analyze this game but anyone have any more insight?

TIA

@Liberty City El
@gogeta4
@Lance Roffers

Advertisement
Back