Say what? Spring practice in Rome, Italy?

Basketball programs do this all the time, they go overseas over the summer and play pro teams. Harbaugh is merely bringing that to a new sport. I don't have a beef with it, it is a good educational experience for the kids, and brings much needed PR to the program.

From a cost and logistics perspective, the difference between basketball and football when doing something like this, it's like the difference between night and day. You can find lots of places to play basketball. Basketball is a huge deal in Europe. All kinds of leagues that are well followed. Football? Zero, zip.

Think of the logistics and just finding somewhere to practice that's decent. And think of how many people you're schlepping around. 100? Somewhere around that number.

The only way this makes sense, is if somehow Harbaugh thinks this is going to massively help recruiting. It is not going to help his current football team in any way shape or form.

Just 60 or 70 tired kids getting rushed around to different sites and having practices in between. Most of them are too young to even appreciate or enjoy Europe, especially when they're getting rushed around in a crowded bus from place to place. . All it's gonna do is make them exhausted and cranky.

Also, it's not worth the cost. My guess is a trip like this with all the people involved, we're talking over $1 million. Probably much more than that.

The logistics of finding a place to practice football? They are practicing at the AS Roma facilities.... Super easy.

Colleges and HS all over the countryplan trips to Rome so Im not sure how they arent old enough to learn and enjoy the trip.

The cost? Who cares?

It took u 1000 words to TLDR: hate hate, hate hate hate

Last edited:
Advertisement
I can see Harbag now, trying to give a Gladiator-pep talk at the Coliseum.

Good for Michigan. It is an educational and cultural experience for the players. Especially when they get off the plane and see their first McDonald's, Starbucks, and Burger King.

Advertisement

Good for Michigan. It is an educational and cultural experience for the players. Especially when they get off the plane and see their first McDonald's, Starbucks, and Burger King.

Harbaugh likes gladiator movies.

Harbaugh likes gladiator movies.

52372638.jpg

Makes sense for basketball.

Makes zero sense for football. Again, unless this is a recruiting bullet point, it makes no sense - it will not make them a better football team.

And miss me with this being a cultural opportunity for uninterested and jet lagged 18 year olds who will actually be available for a "cultural experience" 2 days max, when you take into consideration 2 travel days up and back, practice time and internal transportation/travel time.

Try going to Europe sometime and tell me it's not a logistical hassle for just a few people. Apparently, some of you have never traveled outside the US. It's not like getting on a plane and flying to Atlanta.

Like other people have said in this thread, this is just a another Harbaugh douchebag look-at-me move.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back