Savion Collins

Status
Not open for further replies.
****!!! LOL - so 5* CB’s are as good as gone at those and most places? I don’t want to make this a thread about you know who, but how do we keep some of them home? Seems like Manny has the program going in right direction in terms of recruiting but how does he overcome the CB recruiting situation?
If the next class has solid 4*s, get on them early and bide our time. It may not be ideal, but we can win with that. Right now, I'd be more concerned with competent depth.

Meanwhile we have to take care of business on the field. We have headliners everywhere else. We have to position ourselves to make a credible pitch when the opportunity arrives. It would help if Al Blades, Christian Williams or some other CB blows up.

Last edited:
Advertisement
As has been said - Marshall and his coach orchestrated the whole thing to get either UF or Bama to offer more. Hence the whole secret phone call to Ivins and the fake indignation at having his announcement blown up. It worked like a charm. UF was getting spanked and had to make a big move and it seems gave an insane amount to JM.

Sorry, if you try to pin that one on Rumph, you are a straight up moron.

Collins isn't getting bags, imo unless they get really desperate. I think with Marshall and Collier they took the heat off.

As has been said - Marshall and his coach orchestrated the whole thing to get either UF or Bama to offer more. Hence the whole secret phone call to Ivins and the fake indignation at having his announcement blown up. It worked like a charm. UF was getting spanked and had to make a big move and it seems gave an insane amount to JM.

Sorry, if you try to pin this one on Rumph, you are a straight up moron.
that whole Ivins thing sounded bogus af now that he chose UF thats what it was all about.

ok so at least for me I'm not even holding the TC and Surtain thing as the reason for Rumph to be gone...the thing is it just seems as that room should be more organized/full, it's ok if you miss but here in S.flo we have many options and I just feel like we are not exploring those options. The fact that we had to go with Ivey last year after mistakes on top of mistakes should never happen here.
It's already been discussed. He doesn't have control of the room … and he never has. He's told to coach up what's been provided.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Forget everything else we need to keep him. Guy has high ceiling plus athlete as the 1 tech DT. Reminds me of the 5 star DT from LSU years ago.

Advertisement
Lol at thinking Miami doesn't have bag men.........

Didn't say we didn't. But bagmen need money to put in bags. You said Miami has to compete with the big boys and pay more. So I inferred you planned on helping, unless you are saying other people should spend their money because you are unhappy with recruiting. That would be a weird thing to believe.

Advertisement
Never once did I blame Rumph for Marshall, somehow people on this site just don't know how to read.
ive seen a few but I don't think he reads what anyone posts just sees his friends get criticized in any way and just assumes everyone is blaming rumph for Marshall. I legit said it isn't rumphs fault we lost Marshall. it really isn't on the coaches based on what happened or what we think happened yet he just goes into his I've known this person for 20 years...

it was more about rumph and our recruiting of DBs (whether the past 5 years are all on him or a collaborative failed effort in landing the elite DBs)

Didn't say we didn't. But bagmen need money to put in bags. You said Miami has to compete with the big boys and pay more. So I inferred you planned on helping, unless you are saying other people should spend their money because you are unhappy with recruiting. That would be a weird thing to believe.
Bingo

Look, Rumph is a good cb Coach...he has proven that he can develop talent. Our cb haul the last few years has been pretty good. But don't also underestimate the power of perception within a organization. Pulling a 5 star cb is as much as what we will get out of the recruit on the field as it is perception of where the program is heading. Every business corporation CEO will tell you the same. Perception is just as important as Reality, and yes, reality must match perception at some point.

ive seen a few but I don't think he reads what anyone posts just sees his friends get criticized in any way and just assumes everyone is blaming rumph for Marshall. I legit said it isn't rumphs fault we lost Marshall. it really isn't on the coaches based on what happened or what we think happened yet he just goes into his I've known this person for 20 years...

it was more about rumph and our recruiting of DBs (whether the past 5 years are all on him or a collaborative failed effort in landing the elite DBs)
Shouldn't you judge CB recruiting by on-field performance rather than recruiting rankings? I don't recall many games in the Diaz era (incl. him at DC) where it was clearly evident that we didn't have enough talent at CB. Maybe the ACC Championship game against Clemson? That was only year 2 for Rumph, so most of the CB room at that point weren't his recruits.

Every metric can be debated, but I think passing yards allowed is a decent measure of how good the pass defense is.

2017- 47th
2018- 56th
2019- 19th

So by 2019, it's fair to say that the CB room was mostly made up of kids Rumph had some hand in recruiting. 19th would be championship quality. It's actually quite a bit better than UF (32nd) and much much better than the national champ LSU (59th).

I guess you could argue that LSU got big leads so teams had to pass more to catch up, but then that shouldn't affect the yards per completion. Miami was in the low 30s in YPC. UF had the edge here being in the top 20. LSU again was in the 50s. So by most measures, Miami's CBs were outperforming LSU's last year.

I think some Canes fans are being star whores again- they'd rather have a mediocre 5 star because it looks better on paper than a 3 star that outperforms his ranking. The latter requires talent evaluation, and based on the trend it seems Miami has done a fine job of finding underrated CBs. Yeah yeah perception of 5 stars at CB... whatever. Don't care. If we win a championship Miami can have a bunch of 1 stars at CB and I won't be complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back