Rumor San Mario Turned Down Bama

Advertisement
He went undefeated this year and turned all that momentum into finishing with the #36 ranked class.

He must not be so hot at recruiting and no matter how good a coach you are if you don't recruit you'll lose.
i don’t understand your point. you think he would get the 36th ranked class coaching at bama? And if he isn’t a good recruiter, why is his career record so good? And if his career record is so good, why does he need recruiting classes that are ranked in a way that satisfies you, a random dude?

Advertisement
This should be an interesting experiment on so many levels.

Will Deboer be able to automatically start pulling top 5 classes because "Alabama" now?

If not, will he be able to maintain Saban's absurd level of excellence with superior game planning and coaching philosophies?

Do recruiters recruit or does money and program prestige do the heavy lifting?

I love the fact that Alabama went outside the box on this hire if only that it's incredibly more interesting than if they had just hired another Saban/SEC/Alabama "guy".

i don’t understand your point. you think he would get the 36th ranked class coaching at bama? And if he isn’t a good recruiter, why is his career record so good? And if his career record is so good, why does he need recruiting classes that are ranked in a way that satisfies you, a random dude?
What don't you understand?

He's proven he's a good coach but a **** recruiter thus far. Lanning ate his lunch in recruiting. He'll recruit at Bama b/c its Bama but he won't be getting the #1 or #2 class like Saban has for the last 15 years and he won't be playing only 3 games per year that are competitive.

He was only at Fresno State for two years and then Washington for two years so he won with another coach's players so no idea how you think that equates to good recruiting.

As for your final sentence, this is a college football message board. What the **** does below even mean? #Bizarre
why does he need recruiting classes that are ranked in a way that satisfies you, a random dude?

What don't you understand?

He's proven he's a good coach but a **** recruiter thus far. Lanning ate his lunch in recruiting. He'll recruit at Bama b/c its Bama but he won't be getting the #1 or #2 class like Saban has for the last 15 years and he won't be playing only 3 games per year that are competitive.

He was only at Fresno State for two years and then Washington for two years so he won with another coach's players so no idea how you think that equates to good recruiting.

As for your final sentence, this is a college football message board. What the **** does below even mean? #Bizarre
Obviously we disagree. I think a guy who has gone 104-12 is a great coach. You think he isn’t a great coach because he is not an elite recruiter — I see no evidence that is the case. Do you think he will be recruiting in the 30s at Bama?

Obviously we disagree. I think a guy who has gone 104-12 is a great coach. You think he isn’t a great coach because he is not an elite recruiter — I see no evidence that is the case. Do you think he will be recruiting in the 30s at Bama?
Are you even reading my posts?

I didn't say he wasn't a great coach. I said the opposite.

"He's proven he's a good coach but a **** recruiter thus far."

I also said he won't recruit in the 30's but talent acquisition will fall off .... "He'll recruit at Bama b/c its Bama but he won't be getting the #1 or #2 class like Saban has for the last 15 years".

He just made the National Championship game and had the #36 recruiting class in the country. That's bad no matter how you want to spin it. He smartly turned the UW job into the Bama job but it would have been interesting to see him at UW for two more years w/o Penix and the future NFL players the prior coach recruited.

Advertisement
This should be an interesting experiment on so many levels.

Will Deboer be able to automatically start pulling top 5 classes because "Alabama" now?

If not, will he be able to maintain Saban's absurd level of excellence with superior game planning and coaching philosophies?

Do recruiters recruit or does money and program prestige do the heavy lifting?

I love the fact that Alabama went outside the box on this hire if only that it's incredibly more interesting than if they had just hired another Saban/SEC/Alabama "guy".
I think he’ll pull top 10 classes annually at Bama and that’s all a coach as good as him needs to be in the playoffs annually.

I also said he won't recruit in the 30's but talent acquisition will fall off .... "He'll recruit at Bama b/c its Bama but he won't be getting the #1 or #2 class like Saban has for the last 15 years".

He just made the National Championship game and had the #36 recruiting class in the country. That's bad no matter how you want to spin it. He smartly turned the UW job into the Bama job but it would have been interesting to see him at UW for two more years w/o Penix and the future NFL players the prior coach recruited.
Ok — my bad I didn’t read your other posts in this thread beyond where we replied to each other. Still think you are placing too much emphasis on recruiting.

Ok — my bad I didn’t read your other posts in this thread beyond where we replied to each other. Still think you are placing too much emphasis on recruiting.
Too much emphasis on recruiting? Are you serious? The mixture is both but it's really a 70/30 split on jimmies and joes. Rell showed a graphic to prove his point about coaches in the CFP championship and the truth is the guys who did win had the players. Does he recruit high enough at Bama to put recruit Michigan? I'm not so sure. You need both but the guys who win have the best players or really really good players with a generational QB. Since he is going to Bama he now has to win championships nothing else will do and if he is not in the top 5 in recruiting it's not happening.

Too much emphasis on recruiting? Are you serious? The mixture is both but it's really a 70/30 split on jimmies and joes. Rell showed a graphic to prove his point about coaches in the CFP championship and the truth is the guys who did win had the players. Does he recruit high enough at Bama to put recruit Michigan? I'm not so sure. You need both but the guys who win have the best players or really really good players with a generational QB. Since he is going to Bama he now has to win championships nothing else will do and if he is not in the top 5 in recruiting it's not happening.
but Michigan doesn’t recruit at an elite level either.

Advertisement
He went undefeated this year and turned all that momentum into finishing with the #36 ranked class.

He must not be so hot at recruiting and no matter how good a coach you are if you don't recruit you'll lose.
UW isn’t a glam “football” school and Seattle is very far off the beaten path of the Sunbelt.

but Michigan doesn’t recruit at an elite level either.
They have really good players almost everyone that was on that team was a 4 or 5 star with some 3s sprinkled in. It's Bama we are talking about championships.

Advertisement

Didn't Penix come to Washington because of DeBoer?

And do the players the previous coach recruited become NFL players if DeBoer doesn't coach them?

Didn't Penix come to Washington because of DeBoer?

And do the players the previous coach recruited become NFL players if DeBoer doesn't coach them?
Yes he recruited Penix as a transfer portal QB but he was also his OC at Indiana and therefore had the inside track. He would have been running it back with Will Rodgers this year.

We shall see but he got his asked kicked recruiting against Oregon. Now he's got UGA, Texas, LSU, etc to contend with.

Advertisement
Back