Samuel Brooks: This years DJ Ivey?

Why don't you read it? Here, I'll post it for you:

In other words, IF he gets to full speed after the injury, he projects as a 6'2, 235 linebacker running 4.5.

That's just basic. He was running a 4.62 laser as a HS sophomore. That projects as an easy 4.5 with training.

Anyone who tracks HS combine numbers knows that guys generally gain weight and add speed at the next level. Bradley Chubb went from 6’2.5, 208, 4.83 as a HS junior to 6’4, 269, 4.65 at the combine. Rashaad Penny went from from 181 pounds and 4.68 in high school to 220 pounds and 4.46 at the combine.

It happens all the time. And Brooks isn't some kind of maxed-out meathead. He is just a standard, underdeveloped South Florida kid. That's what makes his Opening numbers so freakish.
And as usual, a couple outliers to disprove something. Did those two also overcome major joint injuries?

Advertisement
Why don't you read it? Here, I'll post it for you:

In other words, IF he gets to full speed after the injury, he projects as a 6'2, 235 linebacker running 4.5.

That's just basic. He was running a 4.62 laser as a HS sophomore. That projects as an easy 4.5 with training.

Anyone who tracks HS combine numbers knows that guys generally gain weight and add speed at the next level. Bradley Chubb went from 6’2.5, 208, 4.83 as a HS junior to 6’4, 269, 4.65 at the combine. Rashaad Penny went from from 181 pounds and 4.68 in high school to 220 pounds and 4.46 at the combine.

It happens all the time. And Brooks isn't some kind of maxed-out meathead. He is just a standard, underdeveloped South Florida kid. That's what makes his Opening numbers so freakish.

247 Sports is currently running segments reflecting on evaluation of talent based on the results of the 2018 NFL draft and one of the big takeaways is that weight will come.

Bump him to low 4 star and keep him under the radar, we don't need these schools coming around, giving him offers a young can't refuse!! Garvin and JJ99 was overlooked coming out of HS and look how they turned out..

SoFla know what type of talent Brooks is so hopefully he stays under the radar and overlooked!! Let him dominate his last year and then he get that big bump closer the NSD!!
He’s all 305 til he die.

And as usual, a couple outliers to disprove something. Did those two also overcome major joint injuries?

And as usual, you struggle reading. The first line of my post is "It's all about the injury." That is the question mark and we won't know until he gets here.

If he comes back full speed (like many have done), he projects to be freakish. John Ross had microfracture surgery in 2014 and tore his ACL in 2015. How did he run at the combine?

Advertisement
Opening numbers aside just WATCH THE FILM. This kid is a stud and would be a massive recruit had he not gotten injured this kid is going to be productive as SH** in Diaz's system.

And as usual, you struggle reading. The first line of my post is "It's all about the injury." That is the question mark and we won't know until he gets here.

If he comes back full speed (like many have done), he projects to be freakish. John Ross had microfracture surgery in 2014 and tore his ACL in 2015. How did he run at the combine?
I'll take that as they didn't suffer serious season ending lower body joint injuries then.

And I don't know what kind of verifiable laser times ross had pre injury, so unless you want to dig that up who cares.

I haven't missed the if statement at all, it is just stupid like all if statements followed by hyperbole are. If he grows 5 inches after he gets to campus he will be the best draft prospect of all time, we really got lucky with this one.

Spoke to my friend. They said that he is bigger and stronger since the surgery, and that he has been rehabbing with the one of the best guys in Miami and will be 100% for the season. also says the kid is extremely impressive and hungry. And that they know the knee is fine, there are no concerns from the trainer or therapists

Great news thanks man!

He really stand out in his tape. Seems like another guy we could be striking gold with depending how he comes back from the injury but if he gets more tape like that his senior year he will probably be bumped to a 4 star by the end of it.

Advertisement
I think people all over South Florida knew Ivey too, some said he was going to be a mid 4* player had he not been hurt, hence the comparison.
I hear u and im not knocking DJ....but Brooks is a five star when i watched him before the injury. I forgot where I saw a video (i think here) he made a freakish play before the injury his range was amazing and closing speed was so good for a lb prospect. I saw that one play and said sign him....i only do that withfew prospects a year where i see one play and shut the tape off.

I'll take that as they didn't suffer serious season ending lower body joint injuries then.

And I don't know what kind of verifiable laser times ross had pre injury, so unless you want to dig that up who cares.

I haven't missed the if statement at all, it is just stupid like all if statements followed by hyperbole are. If he grows 5 inches after he gets to campus he will be the best draft prospect of all time, we really got lucky with this one.

Post less👍🏽

I thought you were gonna chime in on this because I recall you having this stance on Brooks.

There are a lot of plays in his tape where he is making athletic plays in space and closing on the ballcarrier (they may not necessarily be dropping into coverage, but I think it still translates). Some of this is projection into a little bit of unknown, because unfortunately we don't have the tape of him at LB to judge and evaluate.

Also, the Sophomore testing numbers are nothing but encouraging.

36 inch vert = explosive
4.2 Shuttle = Mobile/Agile
4.6 40 = Fast

I'm excited about Brooks and think he really has a chance to be great. I'm gonna stop short on making a comparison on my mind, because that might be me going full homer.

There are different movement skills required for downhill plays and perimeter or downfield plays. Brooks has narrow hips so if he's in a 2-pt stance it will most likely be at OLB not MLB. He would be required to cover curl-flat and potentially man-up on RBs & TEs. I don't see evidence that he can capably square up and make an open-field tackle on the outside which is a different skill than chasing on a 45 degree angle even if both occur "in space". His coverage skills can certainly improve with experience but hip flexibility will always limit his effectiveness there.

The shuttle time is very encouraging and points to him having good change of direction ability once his footwork improves. That is a useful trait for tracking plays sideline to sideline and sifting through traffic. However the 3-cone time is the test I'd be concerned about with him because it measures bend and flexibility.

I'm intrigued by Brooks but fans need to temper their expectations until he recovers from injury and his projection becomes clearer. I'm optimistic that he will have an impressive year and remove a lot of doubts particularly among the scouting services.

Advertisement
I think he can be a pretty good linebacker here and project as a 3-4 outside linebacker when he gets to the league

I think he can be a pretty good linebacker here and project as a 3-4 outside linebacker when he gets to the league

3-4 OLB tend to be a little bigger than what Brooks will likely grow to but you never know. I feel like he's a 4-3 OLB who can excel in coverage and blitz off the edge.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back