2023 Samson Okunlola, 2023 OT, MA - ANNOUNCEMENT TBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Over a year old. Samson has completely changed his body

Yes he has.

In that video though, to answer the question asked, his hands and strength were the two biggest traits he needed to work on. Point blank, he did a **** poor job of letting his opponents get inside his hands and the results speak for themselves. He was just reaching while standing too upright.

The frame is there, he's put a lot of work inside the gym and while he never looked sloppy, he's much stronger and fit now. He's come along quickly and that's why he's gotten as much hype as he has now.

anyone care to interpret these reps? not an Oline expert but our guy looks to be getting beaten a lot. didn't watch the whole thing but the first two minutes.

From watching that I wonder if he had any meaningful coaching up through the date it was filmed (Dec 2020). His hand usage/placement was absolutely terrible. That's was his biggest issue in those reps.

I’m guessing Ponce will assist with passing game prep for opponents and help install Gattis’s schemes, but I don’t think Ponce is doing like Joe Brady and installing his own passing game into the offense. Brady even called their 3rd downs and other critical situations. Ponce won’t be doing that.

This is all Gattis. And it’s going to be a rough couple years. (sure I’ll get destroyed for saying that)

But keep brining in guys like Samson and we’ll eventually find the right guy at OC. Kiffin was that guy for Saban. He updated Saban’s offensive philosophies and the rest is history. Will be interesting to see who it is for Mario.

You can still be as balanced as Mario wants to be, but you definitely need a more sophisticated spread passing game than what Gattis (or Moorhead) bring to the table.
What?

Some of what you say sounds ok but your opinion of Gattis is odd…like he stole your wife.

Games are won in the trenches. Have the right players you can run any offense you want. Call the correct plays at the right time against the defense the are showing you win games.

There is more to fuseball Bobby than just a lot of little fast guys spread all over the field.

Advertisement
anyone care to interpret these reps? not an Oline expert but our guy looks to be getting beaten a lot. didn't watch the whole thing but the first two minutes.

No expert, but i think these drills are tailored more for DL. A lot easier to go inside when there isn’t a 300+lb guard standing there

From watching that I wonder if he had any meaningful coaching up through the date it was filmed (Dec 2020). His hand usage/placement was absolutely terrible. That's was his biggest issue in those reps.

Tough to say in the coaching aspect. You go to these camps, it's far different than the competition he'd face week to week.

I'd guess he probably did get adequate coaching as it's not some intricate secretive stuff only some coaches know. He probably just didn't apply it very much (as he didn't need to weekly in conference play as he's bugger and stronger even then than most) and is why he looked somewhat lost and outclassed there.

It's one reason it's tough to evaluate OL. These guys are typically so much bigger than their weekly competition. They get lazy and just rely on their generic advantage.

On the roster, I'll be interested to see what Mario and company can do with McLaughlin and Rodriguez. McLaughlin was arguably the worst looking OL prospect I've seen us take in a long time. Weak, poor footwork, and terrible hands. Rodriguez, nasty guard or even center prospect, but I haven't heard much about him. One looked terrible in a camp setting, the other dominant. Guess we'll see.

No expert, but i think these drills are tailored more for DL. A lot easier to go inside when there isn’t a 300+lb guard standing there

Nah, it's evenly matched at the start. You just use your length and force them further inside or outside. They're usually pretty evenly matched, but last year's OL class in the videos I saw were stonewalling people.

Advertisement
Just as an FYI, they mislabeled a lot of the Samson reps. Wasn't even Samson. Samson has an orange/red helmet.
4F2E619D-2355-4881-A4BB-1882D44897D7.jpeg
Like this one lol

Edit: its his brother, is he gonna be a technician too?👀

Advertisement
My understanding is that the issue with the university collectives is that it's difficult to establish a valid commercial purpose for pay a player for his NIL.

Life Wallet clearly is paying NIL money for the purpose of enhancing their business. This is a valid use of NIL.

What purpose do university collectives have for paying for paying a player for his NIL except to induce the player to attend their school? That's not an allowable arrangement per NIL rules as I understand them. The collectives are not themselves commercial enterprises so hard to conjure up a commercially valid reason why they should be paying NIL fees.
Correct. The collective needs to have a business purpose to use the player's NIL. In the end it all comes down to NIL. As you noted, the player is providing his NIL, and the business needs to use the NIL in some manner. Now a collective could certainly use a player's NIL for a business purpose which is why I am arguing that a collective is not per se against the rules. All depends on how the collective uses the player's NIL.

If I recall, FL law doesn’t allow people with certain prior relationships with the school to engage in NIL… I read somewhere this is why MasTec and the Mas brothers aren’t participating in NIL.

My assumption was that prior to NIL, Ruiz’s involved w UM didn’t reach the threshold necessary to preclude him from NILing Saban into retirement.
no good satan GIF

Advertisement
If I recall, FL law doesn’t allow people with certain prior relationships with the school to engage in NIL… I read somewhere this is why MasTec and the Mas brothers aren’t participating in NIL.

My assumption was that prior to NIL, Ruiz’s involved w UM didn’t reach the threshold necessary to preclude him from NILing Saban into retirement.

Wrong. Totally and completely wrong.

Ruiz is a booster and has been for a long time. ****, I'm a booster, and I'm sure I've given a fraction of what John Ruiz gives.

And the Mas brothers will participate in NIL, they just don't exactly need 100 athletes cutting ads to tout the benefits of MasTec coming out to dig for power and sewer lines.

They absolutely are. The space usually occupied by the guard, or at least the thought that the guard could be there waiting for you, is completely negated in these camp circuits. Also, hand usage without pads is entirely different. There’s nothing to grab and it puts the OL at a severe disadvantage. I watch hand positioning so e but focus more on footwork, body positioning, and bend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back