2023 Samson Okunlola, 2023 OT, MA - ANNOUNCEMENT TBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan Lambert organizes something resembling one, right? It's just small $$ for us.
It’s a collection of businesses paying for NIL endorsements. Exactly what the courts allowed. The “Collectives” that UF, aTm etc have are collections of boosters, paying for a kid to play at their school. Literal pay for play, and exactly the opposite of what the courts allowed.

I don’t even think these collectives are legal in Fl. Then again, I’m not a lawyer.

Advertisement
And we should. NIL can be navaigated correctly in more than one manner. As long as he collective plays the player for his NIL, it is well within NCAA rules. The potential problem arises only when the player is not asked to provide his NIL.

As an example, if a member of a collective has a business and the player does some marketing for the business, the collective can certainly be the vehicle to pay the player for NIL. This may not result in a business expense/write off because of who is paying for the NIL, but it can still fall well within NIL guidelines. No university should became solely dependent on the whims of one or a very small number of businesses to provide all their NIL money. We will hopefully have a collective, and more importantly, hundreds of business that want to use the NIL of UM players in various sports for their marketing value.
Isn’t the inclusion of boosters in the collective an issue? The people paying for nil aren’t supposed to be connected to the school. It why Mas brothers can’t participate. Or do I have it wrong?

LOL at some of those comments. Mario hired a Broyles Award winner at the OC position (supposedly the best playcaller on offense in the nation last year) and Kevin Steele is a legendary DC who has had many top 10-15 defenses over the years (against really tough competition). Add Charlie Strong and its one of the best staffs in the nation (from a player development and Xs & Os standpoint).

Combine that with absolutely elite recruiting & look out!!! We're going to be bringing the pain in the years ahead.

LOL at some of those comments. Mario hired a Broyles Award winner at the OC position (supposedly the best playcaller on offense in the nation last year) and Kevin Steele is a legendary DC who has had many top 10-15 defenses over the years (against really tough competition). Add Charlie Strong and its one of the best staffs in the nation (from a player development and Xs & Os standpoint).

Combine that with absolutely elite recruiting & look out!!! We're going to be bringing the pain in the years ahead.
The staff is definitely ridiculous. But who cares about some Broyles Award?
Randy Shannon won a Broyles. Would you have him back to coach the D?

Advertisement
The staff is definitely ridiculous. But who cares about some Broyles Award?
Randy Shannon won a Broyles. Would you have him back to coach the D?
Not to derail this thread or keep circling back on this but I think your assessment of Mario’s past OC’s and Gattis is pretty on point so I wanted to ask what your thoughts are on Ponce’s role.

He is listed as QB coach and passing game coordinator. Is it possible Mario is modeling his offensive structure here like LSU’s in 2019? With Gattis handling much of the power run game and red zone but Ponce handling the vertical concepts? Feel like this aspect is getting lost in the shuffle.

Mario and Coach O do have some shared coaching characteristics, and we’ve seen that O has been around the building a bit recently.

I’d be curious to know if you’ve heard anything or have any predictions.

I’ll hang up and listen.

Last edited:
It’s a collection of businesses paying for NIL endorsements. Exactly what the courts allowed. The “Collectives” that UF, aTm etc have are collections of boosters, paying for a kid to play at their school. Literal pay for play, and exactly the opposite of what the courts allowed.

I don’t even think these collectives are legal in Fl. Then again, I’m not a lawyer.
i know UF’s collective set up meet and greets, appearances, exclusive content etc. to pay the players.

Advertisement
I mean they’ve got some idiots like every fan base does, but a lot of them were pretty objective and knowledgeable regarding the staff Mario hired and the draw of our brand etc.

They are very similar to us, so it makes sense they’d be more reasonable than other fan bases. As long as we’re not going head to head for a recruit or on the field, would be cool to see them come up with us.

Does the involvement of boosters and connection to the school make it problematic?

The language is this:

An intercollegiate athlete at a postsecondary educational institution may earn compensation for the use of her or his name, image, or likeness. Such compensation must be commensurate with the market value of the authorized use of the athlete’s name, image, or likeness. To preserve the integrity, quality, character, and amateur nature of intercollegiate athletics and to maintain a clear separation between amateur intercollegiate athletics and professional sports, such compensation may not be provided in exchange for athletic performance or attendance at a particular institution and may only be provided by a third party unaffiliated with the intercollegiate athlete’s postsecondary educational institution.

I think these two bolded lines can be used to bring down a collective of boosters. If a collective is just straight paying a player and the player has no reciprocal responsibility towards the collective then it's clear their reciprocal responsibility lies with the athletics of the school. You don't give people money for nothing so where's the other side of that coin? If the collective is simply doing meet and greets, and claiming that's their model, I think over time it's going to be difficult to keep up with legit businesses paying players for promotional activities from a fair market value standpoint. Meet and greets are often paid for either by revenue earned via ticket sales or by businesses feeling the promotion of the meet and greet has value. But again, if you're charging people to meet a football players that's going to be small dollars and if you claim it's a promotional expense what are you actually promoting?

I feel that trying to get groups of individuals together to pool money, as in a collective, is always going to be an issue. Those people have no reason to be together. It's very tough to argue that a collection of individuals, who just happen to be supporters of a school with no ties professionally beyond that, are investing in players for anything other than that school. Especially when the only players you're helping to do meet and greets (or whatever) all happen to be going to the same school.

I think the people who CAN do this are John Ruiz types, individuals who have a legit business that they want to use the popularity of players to promote. More importantly though, paying players all around the country is his way to avoid the, "Ok, you're doing this for "business purposes" but you only ever pay Miami kids. Clearly it's for the school in some degree." By paying kids around the country he's making a legit claim that this is about leveraging popularity, regardless of school, to promote his business. I think he has the model down and I think it's difficult for other schools to copy that. And I don't know how you bust him for it.

Miami in general is also in a great position because it can basically accomplish what a collective is trying to do but through legit businesses, basically deaths by a thousand cuts. Locations that have more businesses and opportunities can give a player 15 ways to earn the same amount. Schools located in areas that are devoid of that will struggle to do anything other than a collective or some rich tycoon whose savvy enough.

Advertisement
Does the involvement of boosters and connection to the school make it problematic?
what is a booster? rhetorical question.. Ruiz is a booster. a booster is someone who donates money, usually a lot, to the school. the thing that separates him in the NIL context is he is promoting his company not some faux collective with no purpose but to pay players.

Advertisement
what is a booster? rhetorical question.. Ruiz is a booster. a booster is someone who donates money, usually a lot, to the school. the thing that separates him in the NIL context is he is promoting his company not some faux collective with no purpose but to pay players.

If I recall, FL law doesn’t allow people with certain prior relationships with the school to engage in NIL… I read somewhere this is why MasTec and the Mas brothers aren’t participating in NIL.

My assumption was that prior to NIL, Ruiz’s involved w UM didn’t reach the threshold necessary to preclude him from NILing Saban into retirement.

Even USC fans are salty? Christ. I figured they would be rooting for a school like Miami, I mean it seems most of our fans agree the CFB will be better when both teams are back up.

Still salty about Mario owning them at Oregon, I guess. They really said he’s “just a notch above Ed O in Xs and Os.” Firstly, that’s laughable. Second, if that means Miami is going to win a natty, sign me up 😂

Envy is a bytch.

Get used to it.

Not to derail this thread or keep circling back on this but I think your assessment of Mario’s past OC’s and Gattis is pretty on point so I wanted to ask what your thoughts are on Ponce’s role.

He is listed as QB coach and passing game coordinator. Is it possible Mario is modeling his offensive structure here like LSU’s in 2019? With Gattis handling much of the power run game and red zone but Ponce handling the vertical concepts? Feel like this aspect is getting lost in the shuffle.

Mario and Coach O do have some shared coaching characteristics, and we’ve seen that O has been around the building a bit recently.

I’d be curious to know if you’ve heard anything or have any predictions.

I’ll hang up and listen.
I’m guessing Ponce will assist with passing game prep for opponents and help install Gattis’s schemes, but I don’t think Ponce is doing like Joe Brady and installing his own passing game into the offense. Brady even called their 3rd downs and other critical situations. Ponce won’t be doing that.

This is all Gattis. And it’s going to be a rough couple years. (sure I’ll get destroyed for saying that)

But keep brining in guys like Samson and we’ll eventually find the right guy at OC. Kiffin was that guy for Saban. He updated Saban’s offensive philosophies and the rest is history. Will be interesting to see who it is for Mario.

You can still be as balanced as Mario wants to be, but you definitely need a more sophisticated spread passing game than what Gattis (or Moorhead) bring to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back