Sam Shields cut by the packers

58straight

Junior
The Green Bay Packers are releasing cornerback Sam Shields, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday.

The seven-year pro had one year remaining on his contract, signed in 2014.

Shields, 29, suffered a concussion in Week 1. Coach Mike McCarthy said in his postseason news conference last month that Shields still had not cleared concussion protocol.

Despite suffering a fourth concussion in the NFL -- two in a nine-month span -- Shields said in January that he still hopes to play.

"I'm thinking it's not over. I've still got more (football) in me," Shields said, via the Wisconsin State Journal. "I understand why you ask (why I'd continue to play). I don't know. I just love the game, man, and I feel that I can get back out there and play."

Shields announced his release earlier Wednesday morning in an Instagram post.

Green Bay Packers releasing cornerback Sam Shields - NFL.com

Advertisement
Concussion issue sucks but he had a good run. Remember watching him in the FHSAA championship. Best of luck to the young man.

Green Bay had a terrible pass defense and Damarious Randall looked like **** especially in the playoffs. Shields was a good cover corner, if they just straight up released him then there must be a lot of doubt if he will even play again not to mention at the same level. Feel bad for him.

Bummer to hear, he was balling and showing a lot of promise. I'm sure financially he is ok but to not be able to do what you love sucks.

Advertisement
One of the worst kept secrets in the NFL. He was already likely done with GB due to the concussions and then the marijuana charge sealed the deal. Hopefully he was wise with the money that he did make. Great player for the Packers and will tough to replace.

Concussion issue sucks but he had a good run. Remember watching him in the FHSAA championship. Best of luck to the young man.

When did Booker HS ever make it to the Championship game? The year before his senior year, 2003, they were loaded and got knocked out in the final 4 i believe. However he wasn't the name or even top 3-4 names on that team. 2004 they were not good.

Advertisement
Welp.. their goes one of our last 5 remaining good players in the NFL. (Others: Graham, Olsen, Miller, Perryman)

Welp.. their goes one of our last 5 remaining good players in the NFL. (Others: Graham, Olsen, Miller, Perryman)

Wow...not very smart...Campbell, Dorsett, Gore, Hurns, Vernon, Walford and Franklin are all pretty good.

Wow...not very smart...Campbell, Dorsett, Gore, Hurns, Vernon, Walford and Franklin are all pretty good.

I'll give you Vernon and Campbell.. I meant along the lines of being possible PB players.. Dorsett and Walford haven't proven anything..(At this point.. Dorsett is a bust based on where he was drafted) Gore is a 33 year old RB.. but If the Colts new GM decide to let him go.. his NFL career is finish. Campbell is 30. Hurns had 1 good season.. He played 11 games this year and had only 33 catches.. Orlando Franklin started on the WORST offensive line in football..

Advertisement
When asked why he wants to continue playing after his fourth concussion, Sam said, "Fried eggs like caterpillars, but that means Snausages cause stinky dog farts when mommy pees on me."

When asked why he wants to continue playing after his fourth concussion, Sam said, "Fried eggs like caterpillars, but that means Snausages cause stinky dog farts when mommy pees on me."

Deangelo Vickers approves.

33M and he wants to scramble his brain even more? smh ... Retire at 29 and live a long and mentally healthy life, Sam!

Advertisement

When did Booker HS ever make it to the Championship game? The year before his senior year, 2003, they were loaded and got knocked out in the final 4 i believe. However he wasn't the name or even top 3-4 names on that team. 2004 they were not good.

FYI-A native of Sarasota, Florida, Shields attended Booker High School, where he played football, baseball and ran track. In football, he played wide receiver. During his senior year, Shields had 67 receptions for 1,201 yards and 22 touchdowns. His performance helped his team make it to the Class 3A Championship game.[1] Shields was ranked the 17th best wide receiver coming out of high school by Rivals.com.[2] He received athletic scholarship offers from the University of Miami, Louisville, Louisiana State and Pittsburgh.[3]

dude should just retire. as a Packers fan, i thank him for all his years at GB.

Advertisement
Back