Sam Brown, WR, Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.

tHOSE ARE THE YPC OF THE GUYS YOU LISTED. AND THE BOTTOM IS X...THOSE GUYS DOUBLED HIS TD TOTALS AS WELL.

He isnt the level of those guys....he may go up a lvel with better qb play and i wanna see some more yac from him. Im glad he returned but i understand the ocncerns and how why u see posters wanting to bring in another stud.

What are their aDOT’s? X is a slot receiver, those kids all play outside. YPC is very dependent on aDOT. For the record, I’m not saying X is as good a pure receiver as those kids nor the NFL prospect. But YPC isn’t the right argument. Those kids are getting targets 20+ yards down the field, X is operating in short spaces in the middle of the field and underneath. And he’s as good as anyone currently in the game at what he does.

Agree with you 100% that we would want to bring in another outside WR. You and most of the posters here are absolutely correct. Bring Brown in, right now. We can use him bigly and we are better with him than without. I just don't get ****ting on X's production (not that you are, just in general) everytime we talk about adding WR's. What we ask X to do, he is absolutely elite at. Bringing someone else in to help him on the other side of the field is nothing but positive and should be prioritized.

Advertisement
“ C Young would’ve been better if he had a qb”

Sam Brown had bad qb play lol. Yet he put up numbers.

There’s nothing Colby has done on the field up to now to be put in this kids universe. From speed , route running , hands right on down to stats. Let’s stop the insanity.

You rather land him or a top DT?
Imo we need to have our priorities in order. And while I want Sam Brown (I'd much rather have him than any other wr in portal right now tbh), I don't think we can break the bank for him without having other tradeoffs. And given his top 3 outside us appears to be A&M and LSU, I expect him to get a big bag. I bet he'll be more expensive than Martinez....

To me this would be spending in order of priority:
1. Two of Damonic Williams, Derrick Harmon, CJ West, Simeon Barrow
2. Damien Martinez.
3. Get best DB we can from something like: Tacario Davis > Anthony Johnson Jr, Terrence Brooks, Micah Bell, Dyoni Hill, Snaxx Johnson > Jaylin Clark
4. Sam Brown.
5. Get 2nd best DB we can from that top DB group.
6a. If missed on Sam Brown get next best WR we can
6b. Get Best EDGE we can get from Jaquez Evans > Anthony Dunn Jr > Tyler Baron >> Josh Griffis or other player TBD
7. Get a LB.

Like if we walked away with Harmon, West, Martinez, Anthony Johnson, Dyoni Hill, and an EDGE I'd call that a great Spring for us. Not the best obviously, but that would be finding the answers to the most important needs right now, and likely is a realistic NIL budget...
The issue is…what is a top DT?

If it’s Sam Brown vs. Barrow, Sam Brown all day imo. I’m warming up to Barrow, but I’m just really high on what adding a receiver like Brown could do to this offense, especially with Martinez and his threat running the ball. It just opens it up that much more.

If it’s Sam Brown vs. Harmon, then that debate is much more difficult. I just wish it wasn’t one of the other - we did just lose two guys that had decent NIL contracts as well. And I know Barrow was more “productive” than Harmon, but idk…you can’t teach that size + athleticism. Harmon also graded out as the best defensive lineman on Sparty, he’s really hard to move inside.

We also needed a DT before we lost JHH, so now we sort of need two. I don’t see us grabbing two amongst the guys already in the portal. Too much competition. Need to coax some more guys into testing CFB free agency.

Last edited:

There’s nothing Colby has done on the field up to now to be put in this kids universe. From speed , route running , hands right on down to stats. Let’s stop the insanity.
Cribby are we nervous about texas am trip or we chillinnnnnn lol

Advertisement

You know better!

Different type of WRs. Colbie a big bodied catch point WR with some speed. Colbie had more TDs last season, and more combined TD last 2 years.

Different type of WRs. Colbie a big bodied catch point WR with some speed. Colbie had more TDs last season, and more combined TD last 2 years.
Brown played out wide just like Colby Even though he can play other spots too. . One is more an X and the other a Z. Colby ran sloppy / bad routes and was just a jump ball guy here for the most part with suspect hands. Who’d disappear games at at time. Regardless of what type of receivers they’re this would be an upgrade every but size and Brown isn’t small.

Advertisement
Brown played out wide just like Colby Even though he can play other spots too. . One is more an X and the other a Z. Colby ran sloppy / bad routes and was just a jump ball guy here for the most part with suspect hands. Who’d disappear games at at time. Regardless of what type of receivers they’re this would be an upgrade every but size and Brown isn’t small.

Will he make the visit Cribby or does A&M have him locked up?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yeah, I am not saying I would not take Brown, absolutely would take. He would improve the WR room, and he gives us more length. Again he is not the same type WR as Colbie Young, can he make contested ball catches? Colbie would have been a good combo with Cam as Cam likes to throw those 50/50 balls on the outside. I don't know what kind of team mate Colbie was, or if he was sulking for not getting as many targets as he felt he should have gotten, but he was option #3 for Miami whereas Brown was option #1 as he didn't have a XR or JG on his team. Brown would not replace Colbie from an exact body type or exact role IMO.

The issue is…what is a top DT?

If it’s Sam Brown vs. Barrow, Sam Brown all day imo. I’m warming up to Barrow, but I’m just really high on what adding a receiver like Brown could do to this offense, especially with Martinez and his threat running the ball. It just opens it up that much more.

If it’s Sam Brown vs. Harmon, then that debate is much more difficult. I just wish it wasn’t one of the other - we did just lose two guys that had decent NIL contracts as well. And I know Barrow was more “productive” than Harmon, but idk…you can’t teach that size + athleticism. Harmon also graded out as the best defensive lineman on Sparty, he’s really hard to move inside.

We also needed a DT before we lost JHH, so now we sort of need two. I don’t see us grabbing two amongst the guys already in the portal. Too much competition. Need to coax some more guys into testing CFB free agency.
Harmon, Damonic, AND CJ West are probably all above Barrow for me because they can play NT and that is the far bigger need at DT for us. Barrow I view as a 1for1 JHH replacement. But we NEED a NT in portal, period.

Idk if it is one or the other between top DT and WR. I’m just saying I fully expect Sam Brown to be much more expensive than Martinez, or anyone besides DT and like Tacario at CB we are going after. Especially since A&M is also going after him. Not saying we shouldn’t spend on him, but if we are we better **** we’ll have the NIL available for Martinez, 2DTs, and a good CB as well. No excuses for not landing those if we get Sam Brown imo. Because they are more important

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back