Sam Brown, WR, Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are arguing statistics vs the player so I won't dive into your response. I will say that actions speak louder than words. If you want to believe everything you read on here who's really at fault?
I formulate my own opinions which is why I wrote what I wrote. I don't post for the likes. I have no problem going against the popular opinions.

Like I said, they could have just kept Young. He's going to be lit at UGA. People soured on him, but remember who was throwing him the ball. UGA knew what they were getting.

I would have preferred to have kept Colbie and have he and Horton dominate.

I'm not hating on Brown, He may become a great player by the time his college career is over. He can help the WR room, but he's not better than what we have. We were told by people here that Miami would only go after elite WRs because they really like the WR room.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. I'm not burying this.

Brown is good, but not any better than our top 4-5 WRs.

The coaching staff let Colbie Young walk to UGA where he looked like WR1 in their spring game.

We were being told Miami would seek an elite WR in the portal. Now the staff has pivoted and all the podcasts are hyping up a depth piece as if the the coaching staff is sending out press releases.

We let Young walk to go after a lessor player.
Nope. I'm not buying.
Alternate theory, Colbie Young wanted too much NIL money – way more than Miami thought was worth even as a wr1 that ran lazy routes when he wasn’t primary. But ok

Horton’s 13 catches for 168 yards and Trader/Carr’s 0 yards are surely more proven and better.
Proven. You can't say better. You don't know that.

One of the most conservative media member asked his guest (who attends all the practices and scrimmages not just the media windows) if JoJo would have a freshman year like Ahman Richards. That podcast guest (can't remember who he is) said said JoJo would be the best WR Miami has had In a decade.

Last edited:
Alternate theory, Colbie Young wanted too much NIL money – way more than Miami thought was worth even as a wr1 that ran lazy routes when he wasn’t primary. But ok
Yes we know he wanted more NIL. Ran lazy routes? That's a lazy take. Obviously, UGA didn't think so.

If you let Young walk, you have to bring in someone in who is clearly better. Better where it's not even debatable.

The thing is, with TVD, it's hard to evaluate our WRs.

Horton’s 13 catches for 168 yards and Trader/Carr’s 0 yards are surely more proven and better.

I think they likely view him as a #2 or 3 depending on how you rate X and George.

He’s clearly not the same WR Young was/is, but it’s possible that the staff views the need for a big outside WR differently now within the context of having Ward as the QB.

They do seem to at least want a guy that’s 6’1+ with speed. I could see Menmon’s argument that this guy will help round out our passing attack to some extent and give us 3 WRs with very proven production. You couple that with expected improved contribution from the TE spot and it’s hard for me to be too concerned about receiving options in this year’s offense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Proven. You can't say better. You don't know that.

One of the most conservative media member was asked if JoJo would have a freshman year like Ahman Richards. That media guy (can't remember who) said said JoJo would be the best WR Miami has had In a decade.

Good enough for LSU and oil money though.

Good enough for LSU and oil money though.

I said he was good like 5 different times. I just don't think he's better than what we have. That's my opinion. We have a really good WR room.

Can he help us? Yes, definitely.

Is he going g to come in a be WR1? Not likely.

I'll say he's a good hedge against Jacolby George. If George acts up, he's riding the pines watching. Rown would be productive regardless, but probably wouldn't dominate the snaps.

Last edited:
I said he was good like 5 different times. I just don't think he's better than what we have. That's my opinion. We have a really good WR room.

Can he help us? Yes, definitely.

Is he going g to come in a be WR1? Not likely.

I'll say he's a good hedge against Jacolby George. If George acts up, he's riding the pines watching. Rown would be productive regardless, but probably wouldn't dominate the snaps.
Your gripes seem all over the place. Are you mad that we didn’t fight to keep Young? That this kid isn’t a true WR1? Another body isn’t needed?

What WR in the portal do you want us to go after that we aren’t? I’m just trying to follow the criticism.

My take is if we can get what you describe above (experienced, quality depth) it’s a no brainer. I don’t think CY was highly thought of & definitely not the guy you want setting the example in WR room.

Advertisement
I formulate my own opinions which is why I wrote what I wrote. I have no problem going against the popular opinions.

Like I said, they could have just kept Young. He's going to be lit at UGA. People soured on him, but remember who was throwing him the ball. UGA knew what they were getting.

I'm not hating on Brown, He may become a great player by the time his college career is over. He can help the WR room, but he's not better than what we have. We were told by people here that Miami would only go after elite WRs because they really like the WR room.
I think your on to something with Colbie, lots of people dismissed the loss. It was huge, in my opinion. We underutilized him ( of course we had no QB) he soured and not by chance UGA identified him.

Your gripes seem all over the place. Are you mad that we didn’t fight to keep Young? That this kid isn’t a true WR1? Another body isn’t needed?

What WR in the portal do you want us to go after that we aren’t? I’m just trying to follow the criticism.

My take is if we can get what you describe above (experienced, quality depth) it’s a no brainer. I don’t think CY was highly thought of & definitely not the guy you want setting the example in WR room.
Mad. No. I don't drink every kool-aid article posted on CIS. Go back to the CIS podcasts where we were told, "Miami will ONLY pursue an elite WR if one comes available in the portal."

It's no knock on Brown. Our expectations were raised and now we're either to lower our expectations or believe Brown is an elite #1 WR.

Don't get me wrong, he can help us.

One thing thst could happen is JoJo gets even bigger and better by the end of fall camp. He could take snaps where Brown doesn't see the field. That's a possibility when the talent you bring in is the same or slightly better.

JoJo has the highest ceiling. The staff doesn't want to RELY on unproven talent in this critical year 3. Unproven young talent ascending is a luxury.

Is it possible Colbie Young was underutilized, didn't demonstrate great effort in his craft, would still be one of our top 3/4 WRs right now, and the staff did not believe he was worth more NIL?

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, even if he was still here, would anyone doubt Brown or Badger are clear takes for this team with Cam Ward at QB?

I mean, what the **** are some of you even arguing about in this thread guys?

I think your on to something with Colbie, lots of people dismissed the loss. It was huge, in my opinion. We underutilized him ( of course we had no QB) he soured and not by chance UGA identified him.
I'm not knocking Brown. I just don't think he's better than what we gave away. We could have had both Colbie and Horton as big bodies.

Advertisement
A lot of catches and only 3 TDs in a conference that plays defense like G5 schools.

I said he's good. I just don't think he's better than what we already have. Is he WR1 on our team?
He was WR2 at Houston.

He has experience, but who in our WR room is he better than? Is he WR 1, 2, 3, 4, 5?

Remember, we were told Miami would only go after an elite WR. That's the bar I'm measuring against.
Better than all of them except maybe X

Advertisement
I formulate my own opinions which is why I wrote what I wrote. I don't post for the likes. I have no problem going against the popular opinions.

Horton dominate? Lmao

Better than all of them except maybe X
And he’s a different WR than X. So yeah he walks in as a top 2 on the team.

This guy is arguing Colbie Young. Who dipped before we got Cam Ward and way before brown was on anyone’s radar. Yeah we’d have love to have kept colbie but he had other plans. It’s not like colbie is leaving in this spring window and it’s a trade for brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back