Sam Brooks - Stop the Insanity

He finished the year with a 100tks 20TFL's & 16 sacks on the season. This myth about him taking a step back his Senior year is completely false & insane.

He was literally the most dominant player on the field in the State title game vs Armwood.

The Coaches at MNW have all touted Sam as the hardest worker on the team & the unquestioned leader in the locker room. Ask the young bulls on the team bout Sam, every one of them sing his praises as the best player on the team.

Sam has got Sean Spence personality and intelligence, but with Lavonte David athelticism and playmaking ability. I'm super on high on this kid

Advertisement
I thought it was consensus around here this guy is a potential big impact player for us.

This. first time I hear that there are folks that are underestimating his ability. By nearly everyone's account, this kid is the goods and his injury prevented him from being a very highly rated player coming out of HS.

But hey, whatever makes your post sound better, I guess.

Good breakdown, nonetheless, OP.

Advertisement
Senior Year:
I saw Brooks play live and I wasn't impressed. They had him lined up at rush end 80% of the game and he was playing tired from the beginning of the game until the 3rd quarter. Didnt pick it up until the 4th. The other team didnt go his direction much but I expected more during the passing downs but he got off the line slow, stood straight up, and seemingly held up the O lineman like he was a space eating DT. He got a sack(maybe 2?) towards the end of the game.
On the other hand, he looked like he had a really nice frame and lateral speed so he'll probably be much better off the line as a backer. This was also game 1 or 2 of the year for him, coming off an injury so he may have been nursing it and playing a bit scared. I ultimately have high hopes for him, he was amazing his sophomore as mentioned already but his SR year didnt deliver like I hoped it would've.
Exhibit A. @The Franchise

Advertisement
He finished the year with a 100tks 20TFL's & 16 sacks on the season. This myth about him taking a step back his Senior year is completely false & insane.

He was literally the most dominant player on the field in the State title game vs Armwood.

The Coaches at MNW have all touted Sam as the hardest worker on the team & the unquestioned leader in the locker room. Ask the young bulls on the team bout Sam, every one of them sing his praises as the best player on the team.

I'm just reiterating my stance from early in the year, for that 1 game;
https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/northwestern-vs-miramar.135556/#post-3399002

I've definitely heard the same about the bolded portion (mind you, I only talk to Norland folk). First time seeing his SR stats, and I'm definitely surprised that he finished that strongly, again, based from the single game I saw early in the year.
On a side note, more towards OP, don't really think there is anybody on the board (aside from myself) that's talked down upon his potential here. Most, or any comments about Brooks were just over emotional/salty people lashing out when he decommitted after the whole coach debacle.

Last edited:
I saw some game film of him pre injury and he jumped off the screen, like 5 star crazy dominate the game kind of talent. Post injury he doesnt seem to be the same, but he is still a quality recruit.
Thats scar tissue and reduced flexbility more than likely (Ive had surgeries). Get him with a leve lof medical, PT and strength/speed training here and he bounces back.

Advertisement
I gotta speak on Sam Brooks. Because the slander on here has gone way too far. I am still in the process of finding the numbers but I just have to start a conversation around the kind of player he really is and not what some people are perpetrating him to be.

First and foremost the eye test is and has always been there. Film on film on film. He strikes aggressively and authoritatively, plays through the whistle and shows great speed and bend.
Furthering the eye test hes got the frame of a true LB. Long limbed, wide shoulders, tall at 6'3 and plenty of room for more good weight. A season with a college program will do wonders. He is currently over 200 and should be close to 220 by seasons start.
Athletically he projects as a high 4 star athlete. I will submit that this is subjective, but look at his opening numbers as a post season sophomore from almost exactly two years ago.

View attachment 84505

Those numbers (top)are as a sophomore. Next to Yasir Abdullah, who was a freak, Anthony Solomon who was said to be a very athletic ILB, Rian Davis who was a borderline 5 star last year, and Justin Flow who is the number one LB this. His numbers are on par or better than all as a sophomore. Subjectively, its easy to assume he would improve very well from those numbers. He is now 6'3, north of 200 and his vertical and shuttle, per @Lance Roffers are great indicators of future athleticism.
Lastly the kid was the BEST player in the most talented football county in america as a sophomore. Had he not gotten hurt his junior year we are probably looking at a top 30 player.
Please, lets stop talking about Sam like he is some consolation prize. He's way more than that and has the makings of a big time impact player.

EDIT: Found updated numbers from Lance Roffer on the site:

Sam Brooks-
194 pounds, 4.62 40, 4.20 SH, 42’ Powerball, 36” Vertical, 116.91 SPARQ

Several of our recruits got fanfare from recruiting analysts this year, but Brooks seemed to be overlooked. His profile is that of a high-end AC player. His production was top-shelf and his athletic testing matched. 92nd percentile athlete.
Excellent overview! Thank you for the research! I believe that Sam will be a key/top contributor in our defense, if not this year for certain next year.

I'm just reiterating my stance from early in the year, for that 1 game;
https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/northwestern-vs-miramar.135556/#post-3399002

I've definitely heard the same about the bolded portion (mind you, I only talk to Norland folk). First time seeing his SR stats, and I'm definitely surprised that he finished that strongly, again, based from the single game I saw early in the year.
On a side note, more towards OP, don't really think their is anybody on the thread (aside from myself) that's talked down upon his potential here. Most, or any comments about Brooks were just over emotional/salty people lashing out when he decommitted after the whole coach debacle.
One, preciate you pointing at you, lol. Two, its been an underlying disrespect in that he won't provide any worthy depth , that we haven't recruit any good LBs over the last few years, and that players don't transfer well from DL to LB for us.

Advertisement
Exhibit A what? The guy said he saw him in his first or second game back from injury so he might have been a little reserved, but could see the potential. Did you even actually read past the first sentence?

Who is this whole thread even aimed at? Everyone knows he has physical tools.
I did and then I responded. Did you even read the response?

Advertisement
Back