Sam Brooks - Stop the Insanity

I understand what you are saying, but this video was from when he was a sophomore and he was coming off an injury. I personally think once he gets into a college football program his raw athletic ability will help him adjust and he will be successful.

And if you pay attention to the guys that beat him in routes....they all played div 1 ball last year. Not exactly guys that work at Home Depot now...theirs Shaun Shivers (auburn) and a TE headed to Kentucky. Not much in the country can run with shivers.

Advertisement
if you look, the only real negativity about him on here was following his decommitment. other than that, don't think anyone said anything bad

if you look, the only real negativity about him on here was following his decommitment. other than that, don't think anyone said anything bad

There's a few guys that dont think that he can transition to LB based off of our previous history of DE/LB convert types.

My opinion on that is...he guys they speak on...NONE of them were as athletic as Brooks...and thats going back to the Tyriq Mccord's, Marcus Robinson, Mike Smith or whomever else they previously listed i dont think ANY of those guys were as athletic as him.

Also none of them really played in an attacking scheme similar to what we currently run. Alot of those guys would of been better players ina different style of defense.

My only concern with Brooks is the time coming back from that knee injury...and his ability to pack on real weight.

Count me among the group who's skeptical.

His stats are impressive at first glance but when you dig deeper you'll find that most of his production is unblocked or cleanup plays. He played as an undersized edge rusher often in a 2pt stance and his speed and explosion were a mismatch for most of the linemen he faced. In a best-case scenario he remains in that role and bulks up to be a Barkevious Mingo type. He'll need to be more physical and precise with his hands to make the most of that role. Like I said his strengths are his straight-line speed and explosion and his knack for finding the ball.

I just don't see him succeeding as an off-ball LB. He's high-hipped and straight-linish. He doesn't open his hips and move in the transverse plane - everything is in a straight-line. When he has to break down and make a tackle in space he struggles to bend his knees, drop his pads and strafe laterally. He will overrun a lot of open-field tackles with those limitations and he's a fish out of water in coverage. Again if he can just run and chase in a straight line he's fantastic but there's so much more to the position than that.

Feel free to disagree but I can't recall the last LB I've misevaluated at any level. It just doesn't happen. I played the position and I know what traits are critical for it.

That’s an impressively concrete conclusion based on relatively little data.

Advertisement
lets do not underestimate a critical factor on all recruits ....... player development Brooks seems to have measurables
and desire but over past 815 years we have had weak staffs who by and large did a poor job of player development.
hence we lead the nation in players picked by NFL in rounds 3 -6.
ACC network should add some $$$$$$$ to help get high end staff

There's a few guys that dont think that he can transition to LB based off of our previous history of DE/LB convert types.

My opinion on that is...he guys they speak on...NONE of them were as athletic as Brooks...and thats going back to the Tyriq Mccord's, Marcus Robinson, Mike Smith or whomever else they previously listed i dont think ANY of those guys were as athletic as him.

Also none of them really played in an attacking scheme similar to what we currently run. Alot of those guys would of been better players ina different style of defense.

My only concern with Brooks is the time coming back from that knee injury...and his ability to pack on real weight.

Wrong about Marcus Robinson. That’s a kid who never fully recovered from his injuries.

I saw him as a sophomore go to the weekly sparq camps that they had at BA and Pace back in 2006. He ran in the high 4.7s in socks.

The following year, he dominated the Miami Nike camp as a coverage LB. I saw him getting 1 handed ints on angle routes.

His senior year, his homestead team was very close to beating the northwestern team that won the national title. IIRC, he had a 50 yard streak as a wr for a td.

He looked like a legit MLB against FSU in 2011, before that injury.

Difference between him and brooks are his poor instincts and in-game IQ. Robinson was too much of a free-style type player in hs, where he was an athlete just chasing after the ball carrier.

Advertisement

Louder for the ones in the back!!!

Wrong about Marcus Robinson. That’s a kid who never fully recovered from his injuries.

I saw him as a sophomore go to the weekly sparq camps that they had at BA and Pace back in 2006. He ran in the high 4.7s in socks.

The following year, he dominated the Miami Nike camp as a coverage LB. I saw him getting 1 handed ints on angle routes.

His senior year, his homestead team was very close to beating the northwestern team that won the national title. IIRC, he had a 50 yard streak as a wr for a td.

He looked like a legit MLB against FSU in 2011, before that injury.

Difference between him and brooks are his poor instincts and in-game IQ. Robinson was too much of a free-style type player in hs, where he was an athlete just chasing after the ball carrier.

Robinson never was athletic as Brooks.

Brooks i think ran a laser 4.7 or below. im thinking sub 4.6 if i can remember.

I liked Robinson to as well though. We had a lot of bad scheme fits

Advertisement
This tweener stuff is entirely the fault of the coaches not figuring out how to maximize their talent. Robinson and McCord were ballers, their coaches were stubborn fvcks who refuses to make the adjustments.

Joyner and Brooks will do just fine under Manny.

Advertisement
All I know Is brooks looked elite as **** when he played on espn 2 seasons ago the night he had that injury. And backed it up with a great senior year
Huff looked like a BEAST on espn vs the team from MD

Dude is sideline to sideline

Love Brooks

A little off topic but for years and years our guys have not handled weight well at all, as soon as they gain weight after frsh season there never the same again they lose a step of speed and explosiveness. Hope that changes or recruit guys that can handle that added weight

My thoughts exactly

and he has a nasty chip on his shoulder that we haven't seen here at LB since Eddie Johnson. I wont say he's Nate Webster on the field, but the kid is a grimy Liberty City Goon on that field.

Him and Nesta on the field together is gonna be fun!

Robinson never was athletic as Brooks.

Brooks i think ran a laser 4.7 or below. im thinking sub 4.6 if i can remember.

I liked Robinson to as well though. We had a lot of bad scheme fits
Spencer Adkins is another name that rings a bell

Advertisement
Back