Salvaging the 2019 class

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
This class is a disaster right now. And I don't see a path to the Top 10. The personnel department does a great job, but they are limited by the results on the field.

With all that said, there is still time on the clock. I think back to the 2015 class. Even in a brutal cycle, you still found a big-time safety combo (JJ/Redwine), DT combo (McIntosh/Norton), CB (Mike Jackson) and RB (Mark Walton). The volume of busts is what set us back.

Here's how we can do better than 2015.

Finish with the big names. This is an easy one. We are in the top group for Tyrique Stevenson, Jadon Haselwood and Khris Bogle. Getting two of three is must. Getting all three would bring some good feelings back in this class.

Get quality from South Florida. This one is predictable coming from me, but necessary. The 2015 still haunts us in two big ways. First, we signed Evan Shirreffs instead of Lamar Jackson. Second, every OL that we signed north of Tampa turned out to be a bust. Milo, Loftus, Jones and Mahoney aren't Miami caliber. There were several other OOS washouts including Jerome Washington, Fines and Gordinier.

We need to get more players like Sheldrick Redwine. This site wanted offers for Redwine and Reshad Fenton the entire cycle. Both guys turned out to be studs and future pros. But what about local busts like James King, Rob Knowles (who I liked) and Terrance Henley? The key is focusing on guys who have legitimate Power 5 interest. There is time to flip them.

Recruit your own team. You are always going to have attrition. But we need to limit the transfers from the 2018 class. That is a talented group from top to bottom, and a lot of those guys are better than what's available this year. The Ezzards and Friersons can make an impact for us.

JUCOs and Grad Transfers. I love JUCOs. Butch recruited JUCOs even when he was signing Hall of Famers out of high school. They are more physically mature and some are freakish late-bloomers. If the character is right, bring them in. There is a need at OT, DT and DE.

This staff has done an awesome with grad transfers. I'd like us to pick up a 23-year-old blocking TE/FB. Those guys don't always go pro, so you can get a high-quality role player.

Richt and the staff are experienced, good recruiters. The class is bad because the team is bad and we're competing with top teams. I am very curious to see how they use the next three months.

Advertisement
This class is a disaster right now. And I don't see a path to the Top 10. The personnel department does a great job, but they are limited by the results on the field.

With all that said, there is still time on the clock. I think back to the 2015 class. Even in a brutal cycle, you still found a big-time safety combo (JJ/Redwine), DT combo (McIntosh/Norton), CB (Mike Jackson) and RB (Mark Walton). The volume of busts is what set us back.

Here's how I hope it goes down the stretch so we can do better than 2015.

Finish with the big names. This is an easy one. We are in the top group for Tyrique Stevenson, Jadon Haselwood and Khris Bogle. Getting two of three is must. Getting all three would bring some good feelings back in this class.

Get quality from South Florida. This one is predictable coming from me, but necessary. The 2015 still haunts us in two big ways. First, we signed Evan Shirreffs instead of Lamar Jackson. Second, every OL that we signed north of Bradenton turned out to be a bust. Milo, Loftus, Jones and Mahoney aren't Miami caliber. There were several other OOS washouts including Jerome Washington, Fines and Gordinier. We need to get more players like Sheldrick Redwine. We were calling for Golden to offer Redwine and Reshad Fenton the entire cycle. Both guys turned out to be studs and future pros. But what about local busts like James King, Rob Knowles (who I liked) and Terrance Henley? The key is focusing on guys who have legitimate Power 5 interest. There is time to flip them.

Recruit your own team. You are always going to have attrition. But we need to limit the transfers from the 2018 class. That is a talented group from top to bottom, and a lot of those guys are better than what's available this year. The Ezzards and Friersons can make an impact for us.

JUCOs and Grad Transfers. I love JUCOs. Butch recruited JUCOs even when he was signing Hall of Famers out of high school. They are more physically mature and some are freakish late-bloomers. If the character is right, bring them in. There is a need at OT, DT and DE.

This staff has done an awesome with grad transfers. I'd like us to pick up a 23-year-old blocking TE/FB. Those guys don't always go pro, so you can get a high-quality role player.

Richt and the staff are experienced, good recruiters. The class is bad because the team is bad and we're competing with top teams. I am very curious to see how they use the next three months.
Do you think we’re out for Neal?

Agree we need to salvage the 2018 class. My fear is losing some of those talented guys. We almost lost JT last year, and we won 10 games. Pope, Lo, Jarren, Hightower, Reed, Jones, those are some talented players that we MUST keep.

We might have 2 recruits on awfense next week. Not sure how we save that? Miami has to strip Richt of all power and turn the awfense over to a big name like Kiffin.

"Get quality from South Florida. "A definite.

We know the need for an productive OL-Coach is paramount but until that problem is resolved go after OL-men from this area for 2019.
https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/south-florida-19-the-ols.135317/
The 2019 offensive line recruits you had in your segments from South Florida is also an excellent place to start. These kids from the area may not be in some instances the prototypical height, etc. but the competition level they have played is superior to most anywhere in the US.

Advertisement
The 2019 offensive line recruits you had in one of your segments from South Florida is also an excellent place to start. These kids from the area may not be in some instances the prototypical height, etc. but the competition level they have played is superior to most anywhere in the US.

Could not agree more.

There is a misconception that South Florida OL have been the problem with our units. The truth is that the South Florida guys are usually our best performers and pros. The problem is that there aren't enough. And it's difficult to go out of state because: (1) linemen don't always feel comfortable in the city of Miami; (2) the sleepers are far away, so you don't get a great local evaluation.

We end up with a lot of out-of-state OL who aren't talented enough. Kehoe struggled with guys like that.

Mark Fox of MNW is an example of a guy we failed to lock down. He is now 6-5 approaching 300 lbs and has division I strength with a 365 bench and 440 squat. I remember one of the U coaches saying he was more of a right tackle. What in the **** do we need right now?

Could not agree more.

There is a misconception that South Florida OL have been the problem with our units. The truth is that the South Florida guys are usually our best performers and pros. The problem is that there aren't enough. And it's difficult to go out of state because: (1) linemen don't always feel comfortable in the city of Miami; (2) the sleepers are far away, so you don't get a great local evaluation.

We end up with a lot of out-of-state OL who aren't talented enough. Kehoe struggled with guys like that.

Two 2019's that we have a good chance for are, Maurice Smith (interior lineman), Kaleb Boateng (tackle and can play guard)

Mark Fox of MNW is an example of a guy we failed to lock down. He is now 6-5 approaching 300 lbs and has division I strength with a 365 bench and 440 squat. I remember one of the U coaches saying he was more of a right tackle. What in the **** do we need right now?

Yes, it would allow Scaife and Donaldson to move back into their best position in the interior line.

Advertisement

Fox is real solid.

In terms of upside, my favorite guy is Jake Pope from STA. 6'7, skinny and really athletic. He's been committed to a Kentucky and may be hard to flip.

I also like uncommitted Boetang. He is listed now at 6-5 and 298 pounds. I read on one of the sites that the U said he was not up to par with strength in division one. What the #&*()^$ do you have a S&C program for? He is long armed with strong hands and bends and moves well. Besides strength is much easier to develop than other athletic qualities. As an example look at Rosseau went from about a 250 bench to well over 300 in 6 month in the S&C.
This staff has acted at times like they are unsure what they want in the offensive linemen. Either get of the toilet or *****.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/7534348/Kaleb-Boateng

I also like uncommitted Boetang. He is listed now at 6-5 and 298 pounds. I read on one of the sites that the U said he was not up to par with strength in division one. What the #&*()^$ do you have a S&C program for? He is long armed and strong hand and bend and moves well. Besides strength is much easier to develop than other athletic qualities.
This staff has acted at times like they are unsure what they want in the offensive linemen. Either get of the toilet or *****.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/7534348/Kaleb-Boateng

Boateng is really athletic and good mover, always under control. He’s one of my favorites.

The only negative I’d say is that he looks a little smaller in person than his testing numbers. But he’s underdeveloped and can go to a new level physically with college weight program.

Advertisement
to bad the most important recruit is not choosing us - Evan Neal.

not that it really matters the way these coaches are coaching the OLine or who they choose to play even when they clearly suck - Rosier, Jones, Mahoney, etc

to bad the most important recruit is not choosing us - Evan Neal.

not that it really matters the way these coaches are coaching the OLine or who they choose to play even when they clearly suck - Rosier, Jones, Mahoney, etc

Don't kid yourself. Neal is plug and play All-ACC LT from day 1. Losing him is one of the greatest indictments on the state of Miami football the last 15 years. Miami is not compatible right now with kids who want to play in a professional winning environment.

Boateng is really athletic and good mover, always under control. He’s one of my favorites.

The only negative I’d say is that he looks a little smaller in person than his testing numbers. But he’s underdeveloped and can go to a new level physically with college weight program.

Many of the OL guys as well as other positions from South Florida go to Louisville and other schools like that from here and end up being drafted into the NFL. showing they were talented.

I remember an article from 24/7 on the amount of muscle guys added this past season with out S&C --
https://247sports.com/ContentGaller...e-Latest-Roster-Update-119459777/#119459777_2

A few from the list--and their strength numbers were all up considerably
Fr. John Campbell (6-5, 310) +15 since arriving this spring
rFr. Zalon'tae Hillery (6-6, 304) +17
So. Kai-Leon Herbert (6-5, 302) +17
Sr. Tyree St. Louis (6-5, 315) +10

rFr. Evidence Njoku (6-6, 225) +29
Fr. Brian Hightower (6-3, 210) +15 since arriving this spring
So. Mike Harley (5-9, 175) +15
Jr. Ahmmon Richards (6-1, 205) +15 --injury retired
rSr. Darrell Langham (6-4, 235) +15

So. DeeJay Dallas (5-10, 220) +20
rFr. Robert Burns (5-11, 225) +10
Jr. Travis Homer (5-11, 205) +10
Fr. Lorenzo Lingard (6-0, 202) +7 since arriving this spring

rJr. Scott Patchan (6-6, 255) +15
Jr. Joe Jackson (6-5, 265) +7
So. Jonathan Garvin (6-4, 250) +15
Fr. Gregory Rousseau (6-6, 250) +25 since arriving this spring

rSr. Gerald Willis (6-4, 300) +15
rSr. Tito Odenigbo (6-3, 300)
Jr. Pat Bethel (6-3, 285) +13
rSo. Tyreic Martin (6-3, 295) +15
So. Jon Ford (6-5, 300) +25

Sr. Michael Jackson (6-1, 205) +5
Sr. Jhavonte Dean (6-2, 192) +7
So. Trajan Bandy (5-9, 188) +8
Fr. Gilbert Frierson (6-1, 192) +6 since arriving this spring
Fr. D.J. Ivey (6-1, 194) +19 since arriving this spring

So. Derrick Smith (6-2, 215) +15
Fr. Gurvan Hall (6-0, 200) +20 since arriving this spring
Sr. Jaquan Johnson (5-11, 195) +5
Sr. Sheldrick Redwine (6-1, 205) +10
rJr. Robert Knowles (6-1, 200) +2
Jr. Romeo Finley (6-1, 215) +10
So. Amari Carter (6-2, 200) +3

Advertisement
Many of the OL guys as well as other positions from South Florida go to Louisville and other schools like that from here and end up being drafted into the NFL. showing they were talented.

I remember an article from 24/7 on the amount of muscle guys added this past season with out S&C --
https://247sports.com/ContentGaller...e-Latest-Roster-Update-119459777/#119459777_2

A few from the list--and their strength numbers were all up considerably
Fr. John Campbell (6-5, 310) +15 since arriving this spring
rFr. Zalon'tae Hillery (6-6, 304) +17
So. Kai-Leon Herbert (6-5, 302) +17
Sr. Tyree St. Louis (6-5, 315) +10

rFr. Evidence Njoku (6-6, 225) +29
Fr. Brian Hightower (6-3, 210) +15 since arriving this spring
So. Mike Harley (5-9, 175) +15
Jr. Ahmmon Richards (6-1, 205) +15 --injury retired
rSr. Darrell Langham (6-4, 235) +15

So. DeeJay Dallas (5-10, 220) +20
rFr. Robert Burns (5-11, 225) +10
Jr. Travis Homer (5-11, 205) +10
Fr. Lorenzo Lingard (6-0, 202) +7 since arriving this spring

rJr. Scott Patchan (6-6, 255) +15
Jr. Joe Jackson (6-5, 265) +7
So. Jonathan Garvin (6-4, 250) +15
Fr. Gregory Rousseau (6-6, 250) +25 since arriving this spring

rSr. Gerald Willis (6-4, 300) +15
rSr. Tito Odenigbo (6-3, 300)
Jr. Pat Bethel (6-3, 285) +13
rSo. Tyreic Martin (6-3, 295) +15
So. Jon Ford (6-5, 300) +25

Sr. Michael Jackson (6-1, 205) +5
Sr. Jhavonte Dean (6-2, 192) +7
So. Trajan Bandy (5-9, 188) +8
Fr. Gilbert Frierson (6-1, 192) +6 since arriving this spring
Fr. D.J. Ivey (6-1, 194) +19 since arriving this spring

So. Derrick Smith (6-2, 215) +15
Fr. Gurvan Hall (6-0, 200) +20 since arriving this spring
Sr. Jaquan Johnson (5-11, 195) +5
Sr. Sheldrick Redwine (6-1, 205) +10
rJr. Robert Knowles (6-1, 200) +2
Jr. Romeo Finley (6-1, 215) +10
So. Amari Carter (6-2, 200) +3

Looks like the S&C is OK but certain coaches are not developing the raw product into complete players.

Could not agree more.

Preach Dmoney - Because there aren't enough corn feed, starch eating co-ed groupy co-eds at Miami. The little barbie type UM coeds don't give the big boys the time of day and if the Linemen go off campus the locals chica's are almost as bad. But if they go to a college town atmosphere they can find the Becky-Lee's and SusyAnn's that will make them biscuits and gravy in nothing but a thong.

Go Canes

ujNB7Ql_d.jpg

Last edited:

Here's how we can do better than 2015.

Get quality from South Florida. This one is predictable coming from me, but necessary. The 2015 still haunts us in two big ways. First, we signed Evan Shirreffs instead of Lamar Jackson. Second, every OL that we signed north of Tampa turned out to be a bust. Milo, Loftus, Jones and Mahoney aren't Miami caliber. There were several other OOS washouts including Jerome Washington, Fines and Gordinier.

We need to get more players like Sheldrick Redwine. This site wanted offers for Redwine and Reshad Fenton the entire cycle. Both guys turned out to be studs and future pros. But what about local busts like James King, Rob Knowles (who I liked) and Terrance Henley? The key is focusing on guys who have legitimate Power 5 interest. There is time to flip them.

Like your positive approach of doing the best right now until things turn around. Salvage this 2019 recruiting season and stay south Florida focused in 2020.

Advertisement
Back